Anyone knows more details about this jazz special mij?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THany, Jul 25, 2019.

1. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    IMG-20190717-WA0002.jpg IMG-20190717-WA0001.jpg IMG-20190717-WA0005.jpg 20190725_122936.jpg IMG-20190717-WA0000.jpg I googled and googled and couldnt find one like this. Serial number starting with E82, (made between 84-87) the guy who sold it said it was 85.
    The odd thing is that its a lined fretless (the guy said its a factory fretless, but he got it as a present from a friend 20 years ago, so Im not sure) the lines look strange, (not equal?? But maybe its the color gone ??)
    Would love to here your opinion about her .

2. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Ok. I understand it was molested.
    :(
    What would be the best treatment to get the best out of it?
    Thanks

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Just play it. It’s a cool bass.

Duff McKagan from Guns n Roses used one for years.

jackn1202 and Wisebass like this.
  4. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Thank you. :)
    I just want to know if taking the frets off may damage something, and what's the best way to keep it "in shape"
    It hasnt been touched for 20 years

5. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Well, the way it was de-fretted was totally amateur hour. The possibility does exist that it may affect the neck, but I would think if it hasn't moved in 20 years, it is not likely to. For now I would just consider it aesthetics.

If you were to have a pro address it, they would probably charge up to $2-300, which is around half of what the bass is worth.

Since it is stable, just keep an eye on any neck movement. Also, if/when you replace the strings, don't move up to something that creates more tension.

Have fun with it.

gebass6, Jim C, wraub and 1 other person like this.
  6. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Thank you very much for your answers.
    :)

7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

I think it might be a VR46!
    I don't know...I'm not sure......:unsure::unsure:

matante, Charlzm and JC Nelson like this.
  8. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Ha ha, heard that one b4. Should take off the sticker, but for some reason, I like that green

charlie monroe and gebass6 like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

They are great basses. E series (84-87) Fender Japan basses are legendary. Great quality. I own a P bass from that time and it's fantastic.

The fret removal done on this one was not professional. That being said, if it plays good it is good.

Also, the Fender neck is the most common neck out there. If you get down the road a bit and can't live with the fret hack job, swap out the neck and keep on thumping.

Cool bass.

jackn1202, RSBBass and THany like this.
  10. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
  11. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Is that not the Power Jazz, a different beast altogether from the Duff Special?

Edit: Sorry, it's the standard Special .

12. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    A secret: Im nearly 50, in my 20's used to sing and play percussion, but bass was always my love, and my dream. Wish me luck

lowdownthump, JohnDL, Winslow and 2 others like this.
  13. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You don’t need luck. Since you can sing and keep time you’re a natural.

Have fun with it!

RSBBass likes this.
  14. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Well, I have the talent, technic was my main problem, as I was too lazy to practice, but now I feel ready.... if you have any recomondation for onlkne sites for lessons I will be happy to here. I know best thing is to get a teacher, but I can't for a several reasons ( not money issue)
    Thanks afain

15. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I wouldn't want to steer you wrong. I am self taught and play a lot by ear and by exploration over the years.

Head on over to the General Instruction and Technique Sub-Forums (watch out, there is also a DB one of those):D

There are folks there that have forgotten more about music than I will ever learn. Most everyone here is eager to help.

Skillet likes this.
  16. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Well, me too. Used to play the piano, and everything I did was by ear. I have a major dislexia in reading notes (and math) No joke. A realy bad one. But my ear and tempo are very good. Also, everything I have learned, I learned by myself (video and clip editing, graphic design, perfume making, cosmetics ad more..) I dont seem to get along with conventional studing. thats why I have to find a right plan for me. I know there are links, but how would I know what to chose?
    And.. thanks for the eagernes (is there such a word?) to help. I dont take it for granted

charlie monroe likes this.
  17. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    It could be a good instrument, but you should check it out or hear it's records, before you buy.

18. I had the actual fretless version of this back in the 80/90s! Had a matching fretted in pewter. AWESOME basses. High output pickups! Light AF!

19. marmadaddy

marmadaddy Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I have the actual fretless version of this bass. Love it, I'm using it for a set of Police songs next week.

I'd take it to a luthier to be looked at, that defretting was a hack job. If it's playable, you've got a really nice instrument there.

20. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Oh, it is playble, and has a great sound too. I'll take it to the Doctor for a setup

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Jose Kafka likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021