1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Applause.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iritan, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Alrighty here, I know that here on Talkbass, there are some bassists that have been around the block more than a few times. I was just wondering if anybody has ever heard of Applause. When I first started playing bass, I was kinda thrust into the position by my band, yet I had no bass equipment at all. I'm probably one of the only bassists around to be the bassist of a band before I truly started playing. Anyay, since I had no equipment and no money, I borrowed my friend's bass. It was a standard 4 string passive bass, black and at the headstock said Applause. Unfortunetly, his father took it so I can't take pictures to show you. I wish I did have it though, it certainly has a lot of sentimental value. I mean come on it's the bass that made me realize my reaso for existence...bass. So I'm trying to get it back. But on with the question. Has anyone every used or know anything about this brand. I searched online and found nothing, except apparently they still make acoustic guitars.

I wonder if this is some ultra rare awesome bass or just a dookie bublegum brand, either way I loved that bass.

2. huh...I know Applause is to Ovation as Squier is to fender, but i didn't know they made passive solidbody basses, i know ovation does acoustic guitars and basses and i wasn' even sure that applause made basses

twocargar and TinIndian like this.
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Applause made the AE140 acoustic bass, and they made a "Fender looking" electric.

4. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Ahh, I see. But yep, I'm sure they don't now but this bass is pretty old. It was owned by the dad of the kid I borrowed it from when he was a kid.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's a moderately rare dookie bubblegum bass, but as you say, that doesn't change whatever sentimental value for you.

6. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Yeah, that's about what it looked like, but only has two knobs and they're numberd tophat knobs.

7. then its probably an applause Pbass copy :)

8. crackerman

crackerman

Aug 1, 2008
    I know this is an old thread, but it appears that you are describing my first bass pictured below. I have just starting using it again and am loving it with flats.. Hopefully the original poster still views threads on TB.

IMG_3998.
    IMG_4002.
    IMG_4000.

9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Old thread, but what is the scale length of these Applause P-basses?

10. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    Hmmm, I think there's a Applause P hanging on the wall in one of the rehearsal spaces we use from time to time. I'll try to remember checking it next time.