1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are Jazz Basses becoming less popular?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warpeg, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    There seems to be many more used Jazz Basses for sale on places like TB, eBay, Reverb, and Craigslist than what I recall seeing only a few years ago. However, I haven't really noticed an increase in other popular bass models. No, I can't quantify my findings, it's just an observation I've made.

Are people not wanting to keep them like they used to? Is this just all in my head?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Green Sub likes this.
  2. Mastodon2

Mastodon2

Feb 27, 2008
    Haven't you heard, a P with flats is all you need. It sits in the mix so well.

You might as well sell all your other basses. ;)

Kaplan, Atshen, Ian Lewis and 61 others like this.
  3. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    And don’t forget the tone isn’t right without the tort pickguard

4. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Haha. Indeed. Actually, I don't even own a Jazz Bass. My #1 is a P-bass. ;)

5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I think I remember Lance Armstrong saying it's cyclic.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Judging by what I observed at NAMM, yes. Yel_wink.gif

Sachelis, EBierke, bdplaid and 17 others like this.
  7. Perhaps people are selling their Jazz Basses to become DJ?

8. Yes, very unpopular and that why Fender/Squier only show 38 models called Jazz Bass on the website.

Mugre

SJan3, Chas49, Jim Carr and 16 others like this.
  9. Mo cowbell

Mo cowbell

Mar 2, 2017
    Colorado
    The more I try other basses the more I love my Jazz.

10. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    The opposite, probably. You wouldn't see so many for sale if nobody was buying them new in the first place.

Chas49, lomo, shoot-r and 12 others like this.
  11. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    You are right, nobody wants them anymore. Any one of you that wants to get rid of your old unwanted early 60's Jazz Bass can send it to me and I will dispose of it properly.

TH63, jwave, JPDsma and 27 others like this.
  12. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    When it comes down to it, P's and J's generally dominate the bass world. Personally, I prefer two pickup basses so I gravitate towards J's. It has been quite eye opening to me, however, that it seems like the majority of bass players I've seen live recently are playing 4 string P's. They definitely sound good and fit the music great. I guess this might be why more J's are up for sale. Not selling my 3 jazz basses anytime soon though.

Bones

13. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I hope so. Maybe I can snag a good vintage 60’s and 70’s model for a low price. I never cared much about being popular so I’ll stick with my beloved jazz basses.

14. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Absolutely.

15. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I have two Jazzes and one P! Love em all, but the Geddy is my forever bass!

16. It's always gone in cycles, in my experience.

I find that bass buying is like shopping for a car. When you're thinking about buying a particular model, you seem to see them everywhere.

Also, as someone else pointed out, if you see a lot of something on eBay and Craigslist, it means that there's a healthy interest in them.

MarkJC8, bombpop14 and Bassdirty like this.
  17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    We can make jokes but there is a little swing “back” to a simple P bass lately. I’ve never had one until
    This month. I’ve played active Roscoe 5’s for years. Now I’m favoring my new P bass...a Roscoe Classic. My 5’s have been in their bags for a couple weeks now. I’ll pull them out again. Unused to be a jazz guy until I played a Roscoe. Soaps and Bart it has been. I will agree with a previous post about a Geddy Lee being a forever bass. My favorite jazz was probably my MIJ Geddy Lee.

18. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    The Fender Jazz bass is alive and well. Not my "cup of tea", but they're not going down.

19. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I hope my OP didn’t come across as stating that the day and age of Jazz Basses seem to be coming to an end. That day will probably never come. My intent was really just to get input from the community about the current popularity of Jazz Basses. It seems odd to me that there are so many used ones for sale right now. Maybe it’s all a coincidence?

20. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    This is so weird this is coming up now because just lately I’ve grown a real big love of p bass with flats.

However I put flats on my jazz bass and now I’m cured. Flatwounds work just as well for a jazz bass as they do for a p bass in my opinion.

The jazz bass needs that warmth, that booty. Forget all this twangy, zingy rubbish.

Bass needs to be bassy... not a flippin’ downtuned guitar! People don’t seem to get it. And then they wonder why they can’t be heard in the mix. o_O

I’m never going back to rounds, (except for GHS balanced nickels, those rock!)

I feel that it’s how a jazz bass should sound. Meaty and warm. To me, the jazz bass is a compliment, or an extension, to the p bass. I wouldn’t buy a jazz bass now unless I swap some custom shop 60s in it and string it with fender 9050 flats. That’s how a jazz bass supposed to sound folks.

And that’s why so many people are selling their jazz basses. Because they simply haven’t discovered this nugget of wisdom yet. They have scooped, bright jazz basses as they come from the factory, and they don’t do anything to fix it!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    SJan3, rllefebv, Swingin and 27 others like this.