1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are you afraid of snakes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Mar 19, 2013.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am. They creep me OUT! Especially ones like this.

[​IMG]

That is friggin HUGE for a rattler.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont mind smaller snakes so much, but I dont like handling large ones.

My dad used to have a 9ft red tailed boa. Yeah, I kept my distance.

3. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I watched a documentary yesterday that stated 100,000 people are killed by snakes annually worldwide.

4. trouser snakes

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I hate 'em when they're on a plane...oh wait, that's basses!

TonyBassonaPlane.

6. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    I'm not personally afraid and was bitten before (not poisonous). I just stay away and I would never try to pick one up. My fear is that my daughter sees one and tries to say hello. That scares the "H -E double hockey sticks" out of me.

I occasionally watch the snake shows on TV and think "how stupid" not "how brave". Leave the darn things alone.

7. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Why? Are you in imminent danger of them?

8. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't understand how the nature TV guys cozy up to them, like a million years of instinct isn't going to strike them in the face. Chills just writing this.

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    You know how they have that rhyme to help you distinguish coral snakes from similarly colored snakes? I could never remember it so I wrote my own"

Yellow, red, and black? Stay the **** back!

10. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
  11. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    LOL - can't wait to hear gecko's answer.

12. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Normal non poisonous snakes, not so much. Snakes like that? Hell no! You would be lucky to get to the hospital if you were bitten a big boy like that. :eek:

13. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Snake up around the house = dead snake.
    Snake out on the property = noted and avoided snake.
    Snake out in woods = careful where you put your hands and feet; noted and avoided snake.

14. Wow, I didn't know they grew that big. I've seen plenty of rattlesnakes, but the biggest was probably 4 feet long. If I was out hiking and saw that, I'd run a 3-minute mile.

15. only scared if they startle me. worried about timber rattlers when I'm out hunting.

16. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Nope. Love 'em. But in not daft enough to put myself in a position where they can do me some damage.

Ditto Great White Sharks.

17. I looked at that picture while on the can, puckered up real quick.

lowsound

18. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I'm not freaked out by snakes but the first time I saw one swimming made me think twice about skinny dipping!

Mr. Mohawk is the one with the trouser snake issues! :p

19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh yeah...What do you have to say for yourself Mohawk? :eyebrow:

20. The part of the snake near your face has a big chunk ripped out. Please tell me you went in head first and chomped it to death like a crazy cave man.

I'm not at all afraid of snakes, because they want less to do with me than I do with them. I've been scuba diving and had a pair of sea snake swim past me and poke around in the coral. If they were in the mood I would've been a paralyzed, suffocating, soon-to-be-corpse somewhere in the Philippines.

The really dangerous ones are the baby rattlers. They haven't grown out their rattles yet, so you won't hear anything. They also don't have a good grasp on how much venom to use, so they just dump it all into you. At least the fangs aren't long enough to get through some rugged leather boots.