1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aria & Aria Pro II Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Introvox, Feb 1, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    i used to have a nice red sb1000. just sold it a year ago to some guy from the states. it was nice but just WAY TOO HEAVY.

2. Always liked the look of the pickup on the SB1000. Kinda looks like a ramp.
    Any one knows a direct replacement for the pickup on the SB1000?
    To put on a custom bass that is. :hyper:

3. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Hey ALiP, Take a look at this thread. When mine went bad Kent Armstrong custom made a pickup for me out of a mold he has. As far as I know this is the only way to get one. Kent is awesome!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264714

4. may sound weird but I want to see pics of that Kent Armstrong Aria pickup! As big as possible please :D

One question,
    This attack rotary attack switch, what is it actually? Only Aria SB's have it?

5. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Hope is helps, being black it's difficult to photograph. The rotary switch has gangs of capacitors connected to it that modify the equalization in the preamp. In the passive setting this switch does not modify that sound.
    As far as I can tell only the SB1000 had it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    RWP, I am in love with that bass.

7. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Thanks, seems there are very few left out there in good shape. It has the most unusual neck of any bass I have ever played. It stays narrow all the way up to the heal. That combined with the ebony fretboard makes it so SWEEET. :D

8. [​IMG]

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Thats a real shame, as it would seem that in looking for a used model, you'd probably end up paying over the odds due to their relative rarity!

10. [​IMG]

I've had this from new - the first one in the UK, apart from one that John Taylor of Duran Duran borrowed after a trade show (and which he had to return to Aria).

Still plays very fast and one of my favourite basses ever. :)

11. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I do see them from time to time on ebay but rarely in decent shape. One nice one a few months back went for $1395.00 It has to have working original electronics to be valuable. Many were modded I suspect. There are two 'boxes' in the electronics cut-out, one is epoxied the other is wrapped in heavy foil. The epoxied one is the main preamp, but I have no idea why there would be another box? I didn't open it to find out.

^^^^^^^^^^^
    12stringbassist: NICE! Now there is one you NEVER see. Looks to be in great shape too. :)

12. How does the new SB1000s (Both RI and CB) compare with the old SB1000s?

13. BTW, is a replacement bridge for the SB1000s easy to find?
    I believe the model is J510-B4 by Gotoh.

14. chris_nairn

chris_nairn

Feb 14, 2007
    RWP, does the Kent Armstrong pickup sound the same. I have an SB900 and need to replace the PUPs. I really want it to sound the same and I have considered buying a beaten up Aria (w/PUPs working)just to put the PUPs in mine. If the Armstrong PUPs sound the same I could just go that route.

15. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Mine sure did. I think Kent went to great lengths to reproduce that pup exactly. The price was quite reasonable too considering he is hand making the darn thing. The down side to buying a beater SB is the fact that the factory pups have a bad habit of opening up. Something about the epoxy cracking internally. Kent knew all about it. ;)

16. i maybe will go to take an tsb-400 , you know if this have the same pups or the sb1000?

17. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Is this the TSB400? If so, these pups do not look the same. Maybe the right size however.

I will tell you that Aria will not offer ANY assistance with pups for the older Aria basses. They also say that the new SB1000 pups are NOT compatible.

[​IMG]

18. yeah should be this one..different headstock..but i've seen they made different headstock on the same bass during the years...yeah i supposed that there was not assistance on old pups...any suggestions on this bass?

19. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Not really sure, but you could try contacting Kent, maybe he does other pups besides the SB1000 series. I'll PM you his address.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.