1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Arrh...my first Reverb.com purchase is terrible

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Saw a Ray 34 described as excellent. I emailed the seller whether there were dings or scratches on the neck. He wrote me it was in MINT condition.

I received the bass today. At least 7 nicks on the neck. Two biggest nicks are behind the first fret, so my thumb feels them. Also, someone messed up with the neck finish behind the nut.

He told me that he would issue a return minus the $50 original shipping, and that return shipping would be on me. I wrote him, "Please issue me a full refund and return shipping because the item is not advertised. Otherwise, I'd have to escalate the issue." The seller got upset because I was threatening him(!!!) and wouldn't agree to issue a full refund.

I've contacted Reverb, but I'm not sure how so-called Reverb Protection works. I paid with Paypal. What is my option if the seller doesn't cover return shipping and doesn't issue a full refund?

ThuzzleFump and SirMjac28 like this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I think the consensus is that the seller loses in these cases.

"not as described" is what you're arguing & you've got evidence

3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Most of the time, the buyer needs to bear the burden of return freight.

An escalation could get you that $50 original freight charge reimbursed along with the item price.

In some cases, you get a prepaid return shipping label emailed to you. It’s rare, but does happen.

murdockbass, Bigbri and StyleOverShow like this.
  4. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Strategically placed nicks. And someone tried to degloss the neck behind the nut?

IMG_7328.JPG

5. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Even when the seller misled as in this case, does the buyer usually have to pay for return shipping? If so, I doubt I'll ever buy a bass again on Reverb.

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    It really fires me up that sellers are such cheaters like this. They expect the buyer to cave & keep it, just because it's a hassle to send it back.
    Selling/Buying online is creeping toward the Craig's List level of misrepresentation.

In the CL cases, the seller figures you'll buy it anyway after wasting time driving to pick up the item & the back & forth via eMail/phone.

7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Killed_by_Death is 100% correct. As the buyer, you're COMPLETELY in the drivers seat whenever PayPal is involved. You'll absolutely get your refund.

I was on the losing end of a Reverb/Paypal transaction just a few months ago, and I was the seller. In my case, the buyer was the unscrupulous party. Luckily for me, Reverb stepped up. It's all documented here: PayPal “item not as described” Horror Story – Reverb saves the day

SirMjac28, gorneyg, Leiria and 6 others like this.
  8. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I've bought on reverb lots, and escalation it is a good idea. You'll get all your money back.

9. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    The seller refuses to admit that the item sold is not mint. Should I also contact Paypal? Or should I wait till I hear back from Reverb?

10. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Contact PayPal. From my experience, Reverb will defer to PayPal anyway.

However - something else to consider...

The "dings" you show in the photo posted seem to be extremely minor, and the de-glossed neck may actually feel great.

Play the bass, and see how it feels and sounds. You bought the bass to play it, and not stare at it. If you like it, KEEP it. It's a tool, not a priceless painting. If the photo shows the "worst" parts, ask the seller to refund $50 if you think that will be satisfactory.

Your call, but something to consider!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  11. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Reverb got back to me. They will send me a return shipping label, but a full refund of $575 won't be issued. I'll receive only $525 ($575 - $50 original shipping). What is this???

12. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Maybe tell Reverb to get stuffed and file a claim with paypal? Or your credit card company, if one was used with paypal?

13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    Your experience has nothing to do with Reverb. The seller misrepresented the item, not Reverb. However, you can work with Reverb and Paypal to get your money refunded. If you're that upset about it and set on returning the bass, you might have to cover the cost of the freight. Either that or try to sell the bass at price which will cover the total cost you paid.

I've had good luck buying and selling on Reverb. The only issue was when I was trying to buy a 2 space rack from a local seller. He refused to allow me to pick up the item and insisted that I let him ship it at my expense. I declined and we agreed to cancel the transaction.

bigtone23, BlueMINI, gsquare and 2 others like this.
  14. FenderB

FenderB Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    It appears the $50.00 shipping cost is more important to you then the $525.00 refund.

15. Hmmm, misrepresentation is never cool. I’d take the $50 loss. I also pay $1000.00 a month in daycare though, so I’m used to getting scr€w€d.

16. On most recently made genuine Musicman Stingrays the necks are left unfinished beneath the nut by the factory because it facilitates easier movement of the hand across the back the neck. I'm not sure if the same thing is true of Sterling's Ray series but it's very likely that your Ray 34 was issued that way straight from the factory. I would definitely keep that in mind if you ever plan to get another Musicman or Sterling brand bass in the future.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  17. Sweetwater did the same to me with a bass I didn't like, and this was the 4th bass I've purchased from them. My sales engineer said they wouldn't have done that if I would have left the $1100 with them for a future purchase being I didn't want a replacement bass at the time, and just wanted a refund.

18. I think some sellers use “Mint” and “Excellent” synonymously which would be a mistake.

19. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Toronto
    Sorry OP but if those 'dings' we see are the worst of them and the bass was described as 'excellent' I'm siding with the buyer. I'd eat the $50.00 as a lesson in expectations and the perils of buying a used guitar off a stranger on the internet.......

20. If you like the bass otherwise - perhaps you should negotiate for a partial refund and keep the bass. It is extremely easy (well it was for me) to buy a set of micromesh abrasive pads (finest one is 12000 grit or so) and drop fill the nicks and polish them out. There are YouTube videos that show the process.