Ashdown lovers/users...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 17, 2004.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    ....i would like to know which Ashdown amp you own and use and what you like and dislike.

2. coldtrain

Aug 19, 2004
    Middleburg, VA
    MK500 w/ 2 GS112s.

Pros: loads of power, great tone and dynamics, mute, pre/post EQ D.I., low imp. input. I don't even really use the EQ at all, just the eq on my bass. Harmonic emphasis is cool, but more for just fooling around with.

Cons: a bit on the heavy side (I'm used to a WT-300), and the knobs aren't very tight so it's easy for them to get moved inadvertently.

With the aggie cabs, it's plenty loud and warm for all solid-state.
  3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I use the ABM 500RC EVO with an Epifani T-112.

Pros: I agree with everything coldtrain said. I would describe the tone as "modern vintage" (warm yet defined.)

Cons: None.
  4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

Loves: Tube drive, Powerful EQ, Backlit VU meter, Tuning mute, balanced DI.

Punchy cab, small, good bass response even with detuned 5 strings.

Hates: Sub harmonic thing (this is REALLY crap), knobs are "loose" which means they can get knocked easily, Power switch being on the back.

The cab is heavy.

Thats about it. Im totally happy with the setup, i would describe the tone as "modern warmth"
  5. I have an ABM 500 EVO II head that I run through two Bergantino 112s. This is the best sounding setup I have ever owned or played through. Before I used the same head with an Aguilar 112 and it sounded good too. They are a little on the heavy side, but that is because they have a real heavy duty power section in them.

Likes: Best of both worlds setup - I can get a good modern clean sound or growling overdrive from the same setup at the press of a footswitch or two. Footswitchable EQ, OD, Shape, and Subharmonic. Plenty of power. Quiet fans. Overall great sounding, versitile, user friendly amp. Surprising customer service too - I had a broken jack a while back and they shipped me the part all the way from the UK no charge. Durable - I dropped mine right before a show the other day and about cried, but I plugged it up and it worked fine the whole night.

Dislikes: Minor, but subharmonic does not track the lowest notes real well, but I never use it for that purpose anyway. I wish it also had high harmonic emphasis feature of the MK-500. No headphone jack.
  6. Toasted what cab is your Ashdown ABM sitting on,is it a Mag series 4 x 10 but it looks smaller than the current versions, i.e the same width as the head about 19".

Do you have the evo300 or evo500 head ??

7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    ABM 300 EVO II / Mini 4 x 8 :)
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have an Ashdown in transit, ill post review here when i get it.
  9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    MAG-300R + MAG-210T cab.

Like :
    • Tone
    • EQ efficiency > versatility
    • Light weight
    • Price

Dislike :
    • Sub thing (useless)
    • Lack of power (though powerful for that wattage)

I am planning on getting something else with much more power (maybe ABM900), but I believe this will probably be an Ashdown amp. And whatever my high wattage choice is, I'll certainly keep the MAG for smallest venues.

10. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    ABM 300 EVOII C110 (Soon to add ashdown mini 1x15)

Love: Small Size - Massive Sound, VU Meter, That fact that Steve Lawson had one for quite a while, The flexibility between my loud rock band and my experimental ambient rock band. Durability, they sound good no matter what I put through whether it be 4 strings, 5 strings with low b, five strings with high c, highly effected guitar signal by passing the pre amp.

Dislike: Weight, it is heavy for such a small amp, blue mute LED has gone (although Ashdown have offered to repair it for free, I just can't be bothered not having my amp over a blue light.) Not having a headphones socket is a bit annoying but blah I'll just buy a better sounding stand alone unit for this.

Hates: That they don't make them any more and that is it!

BTW does any one know if the DI can handle a 48v phantom charge being sent at it, if not I also don't like this about my amp.

Hope this helps
  11. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    abm 900 evo with abm 414t cab

pros: great tonal options, huge sound, punchy cab but yet very warm. all around just a fantastic rig, absoltely amazing.

cons: weighs about 3 elephants, sub harmonic thing i dont use, and from what im told there is no way to rackmount my head.
  12. My little blue mute LED is burned out too. I havent bothered to get it fixed, because it doesn't cause a problem. I have not had any trouble with phantom power and my DI.

From Ashdown's FAQ page: "Phantom powering should cause no problems on the new updated version of the ABM." They say the updated versions( I assume they mean the EVO II stuff).
  13. I currently have an ABM 500 EVO head with Mini48 and Mini15 cabs. Can't really say there's much about the head I don't like. Lots of nice tones, quite lightweight in my opinion for an amp with that power (my last head was a Trace Elliot AH500). Can be very clean, and can dial in lots of warmth from the pre-amp.

My only dislike is the VU meter - it's about as much use as a chocolate fire guard!

I like the sub-harmioniser, but it would be better if Ashdown still made their 400 watt powered sub-woofer to go with it :(

My one issue with them, is that although there are footswitchable features on the heads, they don't come with the footswitches!

Toatsed - I find it funny that you think the Mini48 is heavy! I actually bought it as a downsize from my Trace cabs - the Trace 4x10 was 42.5kgs, the Ashdown is nly 25kgs.....saved my back no end! :)

I also have one of the earlier Electric Blue 130 combos with a 15" speaker. Again, lightweight and portable for what it is, loud for the quoted power, EQ is good, VU LEDs work OK - I think I prefer this system to the VU meter....
  14. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    oooOOOooo good to know about the DI, me and Toasted were talking about this and I was leaning at getting a Radial or something of that quality because I was worried that phantom power might fry my head, won't bother now. At least until I start recording properly.

BTW guys does anybody have an Ashdown after 8, the little 8 inch combo I'm after a very small, really decent sounding practice combo and was leaning toward the roland cube, but I'd prefer to go with the cheaper ashdown if I could, if they're good that it.

That's another thing I'll add to my likes list the DI it sound brilliant. Oh yeah and the sub harmoniser is poo but I've found it is nice to turn on about half way when your volume is well under quarter power. My amp doesn't seem to wake up till the gain is at 12 o'clock and the master is abover 9 o'clock so it's nice to add whats lacking at that low volume.

Unite Ashdown users of the world.

BTW Toasted was playing the new ashdown stuff at Music Live I think we should quiz him about all the nice new Hi-Fi(er) gear. So we're they better than that Hi-Fi rig you tried in NYC? :D
  15. sjoakes

Nov 25, 2002
    saint paul, mn
    I'm using the ABM 500RC EVO with an Aggie GS112 and I'm digging it.

Plenty of power and it's nice to be able to dial in some grit with the tube pre, if I need it.

It also looks pretty sweet too.

Maybe a Con would be that if you're using the DI out, it would be nice to go pre-EQ, but still have the tube pre mixed in. I don't recall exactly, but going pre-EQ may also omit the sub-harmonic generator as well (from the line out).

I've only had it for a few months, so I'm still getting to know it...
  16. I don't have an Ashdown amp, only cabs... 2x10 and 4x10. The first for small gig and rehearsal, and 4x10 for bigger gig and home practice (less brightness). Both are working really well.

I have a 1x18 Trace Elliot... Didn't have found a car with enough room to carry it with the rest of my gear :(

17. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I have an old MAG 200 head (UK made) and it's been great. Bought it used for $175. It had been repaired but functions just great. Bargain !! It's frightening how loud it gets too.
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My amp came today. Have only had about 30 mins of playing time with it so far, but heres what i think;

To refresh memory, its an Ashdown MAG300H into an Avatar B212

So far, the Ashdown is great. Doesnt distory, sounds clean. Its a great mix of a vintage tone with a modern edge, exactly what i was looking for to replace my Ampeg. It has decent tone shaping ability, the EQ is good. Dont find much use for the sub harmonics thing but some people do.

Amp sounds great though. Definitely am satisfied. Great amp, and i expect to have it for a LONG LONG time.
  19. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Nice setup Figjam. Bet it sounds good.