Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATK appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Yeah you heard me ! Time to whip out Photo's, Video's, MP3's and reviews of the holy grail : The Ibanez ATK ! What i'd really love to see is an A/B comparison of the ATK30x and ATK40x ( with extra JB-pickup ).

When posting a photo of your ATK, please also mention what kind of strings you use, and if you have them thru-body or top-loaded.

Here's a photo of the ATK405 that i'm getting this saturday :D It will be strung Thru-body with Richard Cocco RC5D strings.
    [​IMG]

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    [​IMG]

My mid-90's MIJ ATK-600, strung thru with D'Addario Slowounds. Dean Markley Blue Steels worked well, too.

3. Actually, the ATK is the only Ibanez model that I find visually appealing. I've heard they sound pretty StingRay-esque, isn't it?

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Allodox....I'm so jealous!
    -b-

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    My former ATK 300 after ripping the paint and pickguard.

Tru the Body stringing, GHS Boomers 45 -105

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Holy crap Alldox-I really dig that! I really want a 5 string ATK. If I find one around here, It's mine.

7. Hey guys, these basses look great. I might be able to buy a nice silver/grey sparkle ATK. There's only one problemo. The guy selling it says it's a ATK 400, but it has only 1 PU, the triple-coil in the bridge position. So, is this a 300? And do you think the silver is funky :D?

Awright, back on topic I guess (sorry for the hijack).

8. Argh, another GASy thread.

I'm so glad I have no money, I'd have at least thirty basses by now if I did:D

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea me too. The ATK is a bass that i would really like to own, but i wouldnt buy it because id rather put the money towards my future amp setup. O well.

10. How easy is it to find ATK's to play?
    I've only started hearing of them since Mark from the Spin Doctors showed up...

And now I'm interested.
    Because they sound nice and are cheaper than the offers I'm getting(lakland, mtd, etc.)

Glenn

11. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is my ATK - I have made several mods over the years- my wife bought me this for Christmas in 1996. she's so good to me :D I replaced the tuners- put all hipshots in... replaced the clear pickguard with mother of pearl, installed a seymour dunc. pickup and seymour preamp, and installed a thumbrest.

12. Hey that Atk really looks amazing, its a beauty. Did changing the pickup and preamp make such a great difference? How does it compare in sound to the original setup? Since sometimes, in rehearsals, my sound kinds of gets lost, and it doesnt cut through the whole band, sounds kind of muddy.

thanks, :)

13. Some say ATK's pickups are pretty low output.
    Could this explain the getting-lostness/noncutting?

Glenn

14. Although some people complaint about Atk's pickups having low output, I dont think mine suffers from that. Maybe its not as high as other active basses, but it sure aint a problem, maybe its the amp or equalization, since at recordings or playing a lower volumes it sounds perfectly.

:)

15. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    i think some atk preamps had a trim pot on the board to increase gain. ---------other than that the seymour duncan pickup and preamp did change the sound -- it's a lot brighter now with much more gain, but it's not that I didnt like the original. I actually preferred the original for the way it sounded when boosting the mids... which is prolly my suggestion for being heard- anytime you can't hear yourself - tweak the mids on the atk- it may affect the actual tone you are shooting for at first, but it will make you sit in the mix louder (in my opinion). I have a MusicMan 5, which I like, which Is why I opted to put the seymour in my ATK. --thanx for the compliment too-- I like it as well :>

16. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I LOVE my ATK. It gets more gig-time than any other.

[​IMG]

DR Hi-Beams (45-125) strung through the body.

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Appearantly, the old-timers dig it, too!
    [​IMG]

18. OMG, if your guitarist wielding a Line6 Variax ( = guitar with built-in POD ) ?

sweet :)