1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Atomic Amplifire Bass Box at NAMM

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jimfist, Jan 20, 2019.

1. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Check out Lancaster Audio for some great low $ bass cab IR. My favs are the Ampeg 8x10 & Mesa Powerhouse. if you have the software to custom make your own IR’s I suggest blending the 2 (double check the phase alignment!) the combo of the sounds great. The 8x10 being big and bassy and the powerhouse has a really aggressive in a good way midrange.

2. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Spent a little more time dialing the BB in tonight. I've only played with it for a bit and it sounds great. Getting a great fat tube sound going on. I need to work more in the editor to try and dial in the boost a little better. It's not real usable as of now. I haven't tried uploading any new cab IRs yet. But so far the SVT into the Boogie 8X10 has been my favorite. I would say by the end of the weekend I'll have this baby totally dialed in.:bassist:

BrentSimons, jimfist and bassgiant15 like this.
  3. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    The powerhouse 4x10 IRs are the best out there for bass in my opinion!!

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    @jimfist I see you have a GK 1001 RB-II. Do you run your bassbox into that when playing live or just use a powered monitor/FRFR cab?

BrentSimons and jimfist like this.
  5. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Ill be honest I felt the same way when I got mine. The settings I use now are just set and forget. I think I posted pics of my settings earlier in this thread. Try them out
    I’ll try to post more later.

BrentSimons and cableguy like this.
  6. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    oh nice! I gotta try blending some!

7. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes to both, depending on the gig.

I've always developed my modeled bass tones using Atomic CLR active cabinets in a controlled or familiar environment, at fairly loud volume. Great FRFR speakers.

On stage, I will always send the FOH mixer a feed directly from the modeler, while my discrete stage sound is either via a stage monitor wedge, or for louder gigs, will feed the GK head powering full range cabinets for the ability to EQ for the stage.

cableguy likes this.
  8. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Broke out the Bass box at a little jam tonight. Had a GK MB200 set flat though a fEARful 12/6. Not quite FRFR, but with the mid it can be close. Due to time constraints I didn't touch the BB at all. Tweaked the EQ a tad on the GK. Sounded pretty dang good. Not great, but I know it's in there. I also now know my regular compressor will not be needed. Looks like this will be a great tool.

9. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The key for me is knowing that I'm creating my modeled tones using a very high quality flat-response speaker system (Atomic CLR). I've found this to be the critical step in providing the mixing desk a consistent, pre-shaped, workable tone that gets the mixer in the ballpark quickly, with little tweaking involved.

The modeled signal I send to my stage amp (GK) will power either a pair of CLR passive cabinets (the seem to be able to take a bit more juice, whereas the CLR actives tend to limit output) or a single/pair of some custom bass cabinets, each loaded with full-range coaxial drivers (Ciare).

In the end, my stage mix is for me, the immediate bandmates on stage, and for the audience in close proximity to my side of the stage. It serves no purpose, generally, to further tweak the (tone) settings on the modeler since the adjustments made to volume and tone on stage can vary quite a bit from stage to stage, and from gig to gig depending on what type of music is being played.

Point being that if you were leave the idea of feeding the FOH mixing desk a pre-tweaked signal, then using the Bass Box (or any other modeler) as a traditional front end pre-amp (tweak it as you desire) is a perfectly viable way to go about things - for example, if your stage rig is carrying the room without PA support. Just be mindful that settings tweaked for the FOH PA system may not always be perfect or appropriate for your stage rig, and vice versa.

cableguy, bassgiant15 and BrentSimons like this.
  10. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA

I tend to think like this as well. I use a FRFR speakers and feel that if my sound is good onstage, the FOH should have a usable signal out front. Also being able to alter your stage sound sound without touching the feed to FOH is the best way to go.

jimfist likes this.
  11. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I've spent the weekend playing around with the Bassbox. It's a great preamp, but I'll probably be letting it go soon. Why you might ask? It was really nothing the box did wrong, it was more my tone preference. The BB gets a great clean tone. Lots of options & the compressor worked great. The only problem is I prefer a distorted tone, or at the very least some good grind. (Think King X, AIC, Tool) I can get there with my Darkglass X-7 in front of the BB. But since I have a Fractal FM3 inbound soon & a Tech 21 DP-3X already, I think I'll have my pre-amps covered. (not to mention my trusty old BDDI I've had sine the 90's)
    My final opinion is the Atomic Bass Box is a well built & fantastic preamp. It also makes a great practice tool with aux-in & headphone out. While it didn't work for me, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Thanks @jimfist, @bassgiant15 for the help along the way. Cheers guys!

bassgiant15 and jimfist like this.
  12. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hey, no biggie... it's all just gear, right? If I could bring myself to parting with the coin, I'd have gotten on the FM3 list, too. Great stuff coming from Fractal. Big fan, but can't justify the cost given the lack of gig income due to the covid cancellations. For me, the Bass Box straddles that line between a "dedicated" preamp w/cab IR, and a full-blown modeler/multi-fx, and it's got some great sounds in it.

Regarding the dirt/drive of the Bass Box, this is always a very subjective thing. Though I'd personally like to see a couple of added tweaks to the BOOST area of the pedal (via the editor) to make it more flexible, I've never needed much more than a nominal dirt/boost to my basic tone. Thus the Bass Box drives suit me fine.

Good luck!

cableguy likes this.
  13. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    One thing that would be a good add on to the Bass Box is Bluetooth for aux. it sucks that Apple took out the out jack from the iPhone.

14. hbabels

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    That is a cool thing I’m seeing added to more gear is a Bluetooth audio input.
    You can also added it anything very easily and inexpensively with one of these.
    Logitech Bluetooth Audio Adapter for Bluetooth Streaming https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQBSW28/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_hXPvFbJ412TCR

They work great.

cableguy and Agosix like this.
  15. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
  16. Collin Lyle

Collin Lyle Why not?

Feb 22, 2018
    Is this true?

17. 8_finger

8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    North Virginia
    The headphone out doesn't have a dedicated knob, but level controls the sound of the bass and you can control the aux input at the source, which kind of ends up being the same as a headphone knob.

Collin Lyle likes this.
  18. Wissen

Wissen Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Central PA
    I just received my Bass Box straight from Atomic, and the first time I plugged it in I couldn't get past how noisy it is. I unplugged the input and just listened to the noise through my headphones. I flipped the knobs and turned off any compression to make sure it wasn't just a crazy elevated noise floor.

I also noticed that it created a ground hum with my bass that I could only stop when I touched the enclosure and the footswitch. I probably do need to fix the grounding on my bass, but this was a different buzz than the one I mentioned above.

Am I crazy, or did I get a bad unit?

19. hbabels

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Power supply issue maybe ? I assume you’re using the included power supply if there is one ?

have you tried different outlet / room ? Just to eliminate electrical issues ?
    otherwise I’d contact their support I found them very responsive when I needed help with an Amplifire 6 a while back.

20. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Got a different bass to compare? Nothing like this happening with mine that is out of the ordinary....my low-end basses with dubious wiring hum as always, and the better quality basses are quieter or dead quiet with normal settings.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021