1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AudioKinesis Cabs Part VI...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Jun 3, 2013.

1. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I know it's a lot to read through, but there are comparisons on this thread to other cabinet sizes that should give you something to relate to.

2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Fair enough, we are not loud and will be playing here in the Rocky Mountains at around 6,500 feet, no P.A. support, on the side of a mountain. I'll give it a shot.

3. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    How'd it go?

4. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Curious to know myself. Our outdoor gig is on 13 July.

5. My TC115 did great on my outdoor gig but it was not as large a gig as I thought it would be. We did play outdoors but it was in kind of a courtyard area so we did not play that loud. I will say the cab sounded great ! Also I love the handles on the cab which makes it so easy to carry. I ended having to carry my cab some distance and I love the side handles has 4 locations for your hands.

6. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    The TC115 absolutely killed yesterday! I am amazed at the tone, sound and projection of this cabinet, and I have never sounded better. We played on a cement pad on the back of a huge log lodge with a grassy rise in front of us. I had the TC115 about 18" from the lodge wall next to the drummer, no P.A. support. The last pedal on my board before the LMII was an Fdeck 3. LMII gain was 11 o'clock, master volume at 12 o'clock. Bass at 12 o'clock, low mid at 2 o'clock, high mid and treble at 12 o'clock,

My tone was massive even at a relatively low volume. The drummer said he had never heard me so clearly (even though at practice I have a 102hf vertically set right next to and pointed at him). A bassist in the crowd said my sound completely covered the hill/slope the crowd was sitting on. The lead player was farthest away from me, about 15 feet to the right and 10 feet in front of the TC115, he also runs the P.A. After we packed up and were enjoying a cold one and talking about our performance, he asked me to leave the TC115 in the gig trailer and said I never need to bring another cabinet to a gig!

Duke, I get why you call these Thunderchild, I cannot imagine a better sounding cabinet. There is no hype surrounding this product, my cab journey is OVER (okay, maybe a TC112 but that's just me being greedy). And at 33 lbs, even in the middle of a back episode I was able to handle my own gear. I can't wait to gig indoors with this cab.

7. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Nice review! How did you have the FDeck 3 set?

8. pkstone

pkstone

Apr 13, 2011
    Sacramento
    A question for Duke, or anybody else with an informed opinion: I've been a happily playing a fretless Steinberger through a 112-AF for a couple of years now.

On stage, I've been tipping it back a bit for better monitoring (helps with intonation, in particular), but recently at home I put it on a stand so that it sits about 15" off the ground, and I like that sound a lot. Is this cabinet a good candidate for elevation like this on-stage? I bet it will be, but want to hear other opinions. I don't think losing floor-coupling is (much of) an issue, as I have all the low-end response I need, even up in the air.

9. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Give it a shot! What's the worst that can happen? ;)

10. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    The Fdeck was fully counterclockwise, or as I understand, 35hz.

With my happiness with the TC115 I am finally completely satisfied with all my gear. It's kind of bittersweet, I don't really know how to use Talkbass since for 14 years it's been to research or lust after gear. I cruise the forums but it feels kind of empty, its hard to explain.

31HZ and mexicanyella like this.
  11. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    They are powerhouse little cabs. Pretty close to handling any gig a traditional 410 could do. I haven't come across an interested party yet that hasn't been wowed.

12. dbok

dbok

Jul 8, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Just ordered a Hathor today! Thanks to Mark Sacchetti for introducing me to Duke.

Now on to look for the best deal on a Tone Hammer 500 and I'll be good to go.

13. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

I use mine this way, about 90% of the time.

14. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Probably time for me to post an update.

I haven't gotten as far as I'd hoped to in bringing out the Hathor 215, obviously. But today I'm shipping both 4 ohm and 8 ohm versions of the Thunderchild 112v2, with the new wider-in-the-vertical horn, which makes it easier to hear if you're right next to the cab on a tight stage. Both versions weigh less than 30 pounds in regular configuration, and less than 31 pounds in Acoustic Friendly configuration (which adds a rear-firing tweeter at reduced level, in case you're not familiar with).

The 8 ohm version has a switch that, when engaged, puts a bit of grindy into the upper mids. Sounds like crap on program material with the switch set like that, but sounds pretty good on bass guitar, which after all is probably a higher priority for most of you. The 4 ohm woofer starts out smoother so unfortunately we don't really have that grindy option.

Since the 8 ohm version uses the stock 3012LF woofer it goes a bit lower than the more efficient 4 ohm version, which makes it a bit better suited for double-duty as a home audio speaker or home studio monitor, though the cosmetics have "mancave" written all over them.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Just to clarify, how many switches do the new versions of all your Thunderchildren (115, 112-8, 112-4, 212) have (& what do they do)?
    Seems like I remember the orig 112-4 had two switches - both affecting the HF driver: one for on/off & another for flat/-3db, IIRC.

16. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Does it look pretty much the same or should we wait for new pics to drool over?

17. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Yeah, I guess my switchology is kinda confusicating.

Original TC112: Two switches, top switch rolls off highs, bottom switch kills tweeter(s) entirely. The killswitch didn't make it over to the TC112v2 because I don't think anyone uses it. I think one of my main selling points is decent integration of woofer and horn, and people aren't going to pay the prices I charge and then turn the horn off.

TC115: One switch, rolls off the highs. Nobody has ever complained about the lack of a tweeter killswitch.

TC212: Started out with just the top end rolloff switch, now also has a "smoothy/grindy" switch which primarily affects the region between 1 kHz and 2 kHz.

Hathor 1544: One switch, which has a mild effect on the upper mids; even in the more mid-forward setting, it's not really "grindy".

TC112v2 4 ohm version: Only has the top end rolloff switch.

TC112c2 8 ohm version: Two switches, top-end rolloff and smoothy/grindy.

I think that's it.

31HZ likes this.
  18. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Below you see 4-ohm TC112v2 on the left, and the 8-ohm version is on the right. The only visible difference from the front is the color of the bugscreen on the compression driver (they use different compression drivers). The white spots on the 8-ohm cab's woofer are reflections off the glue around the perimeter of the dustcap.

Technically that's called a "Bi-Radial horn", which is a fancy term for "butt cheeks horn". In this case, "baby" butt cheeks.

The actual pooch-outage of the horn is slightly less than the pooch-outage of the woofer grill, so the same covers will still fit.

gi.mpl?u=2112&f=TC112v22C_4_and_8_ohms-001.jpg

gi.mpl?u=2112&f=4_ohm_left2C_8_ohm_AF_right-001.jpg

The 4-ohm version is again on the left, and as you can see, just one switch (top end roll-off). The 8-ohm version on the right has two switches (top end roll-off and smoothy/grindy)and in this case it also has the Acoustic Friendly rear-firing tweeter.

That's a different rear-firing tweeter from what I have been using. It's less expensive than the original, so I won't charge you quite as much, but it works just as well.

I widened the cut-outs around the switchdish and the input dish (those are combination Speakon/quarter inch jacks), as I got a few complaints about the original cut-outs not being fat-finger-friendly.

If you look real close, you'll see that the feet on the 8-ohm cab are a little bit taller than the feet on the 4 ohm cab. This is because the owner ordered his 8-ohm cab (actually his matching pair of 8 ohm cabs) with the spring-loaded tiltback handle, and I have to use taller feet when using the spring-loaded handle.

This particular 8-ohm cab also has a tophat for pole mounting. The crossover board is on the side of the cab, leaving room on the bottom for an optional tophat if people want one.

19. What is the tonal/efficiency difference between v1 and v2?

When can we expect the Hathor 215?
    Btw loving my Hathor cab!

20. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Man, you just keep coming up with perfect solutions!

Is there any chance of a composite option? I know Mike A. has retired from that but he still has the knowledge - could/would he be willing to pass that along to an intern or another builder? Sorry, I realize I'm posing the question to the wrong person but assume you're still in contact.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021