1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AudioKinesis Cabs Part VI...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Jun 3, 2013.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    i think you will be impressed. What amp are you using?

2. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Yup it's true, LeonD ordered the first production version TC115-8, so he wins the "launch customer discount". This cab will use the Kappalite 3015 (non-LF) and have a smoothy/grindy switch similar to the TC112v2-8 and TC212 cabs. Offering it in the "compact" format - that is, 25" tall by 17" wide by 14.5" deep.

3. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

The current amp of choice is a GK MB800. I'm hoping they play well together.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I think that rig should sound great, Congrats!

5. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

I'm using an MB800 with my TC112AF. Terrific pairing, and with the 15, you'll be able to open it up a bit more

6. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Awesome to hear this. I was hoping the two would play nicely together. I'm not really in a position to change the amp. Nor do I want to.

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    No problem. When you get it, I'll bring over my TH500 and SVT-7 Pro . . . then you'll want another amp. :D

8. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Noooooooooo.

9. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    That TC115-8 seems like a nice package - that smooth/grindy switch is a useful option with the Kappalite 3015. Any pics of this available and what does it weigh?

10. See post 78

11. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Weight in the compact cab will be in the upper 30's, don't have the exact figure yet.

I completed the crossover several months ago for the regular rectangular horn, but I'm going to experiment a bit with the baby butt cheeks horn. It's going to be a bit more of a challenge to get good integration between a 15" woofer and that small horn, and if I'm happy with the result it'll look like post 78 with a bigger woofer, otherwise it'll look like the regular TC115. So no pics yet, but I'll post a couple before I ship LeonD's cab in a few weeks.

Now concerning the smoothy/grindy switch... there's a bit of native grindy in the 3015 right out of the box, but I'll be enhancing that a bit, so it'll be grindyer than one would normally expect from a 3015-based cab.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    TC115AF with an MB800 is one of my current favorite rigs. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

13. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Thank you very much, Tom.

On another subject, the Hathor 215 will have to undero a major revision before it's ready for primetime. I like the way it sounds, but imo it comes up short in SPL-per-pound, SPL-per-size, and SPL-per-dollar. Not that my cabs have traditionally been high in SPL-per-dollar, being expensive boutique cabs and all, but they've usually been competitive on a per-pound and per-size basis.

14. Looking forward to the Hathor 215 when it's ready!

15. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Thanks for your vote of confidence, Mark!

16. Dave have you received your Hathor yet?
    Btw congrats on the DC! You've got to bring that by! I've been jonezin for a Tardis Monique.

17. dbok

dbok

Jul 8, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm hoping I'll have it soon. I think the production schedule got pushed back a bit. We'll have to get together and have a demo. The tardis looks great.

18. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Should be shipping on Tuesday. The enclosure is done but I had run out of the 4" cone mids without realizing it, and they will be here Tuesday.

Just to clarify something on the TC115-8 that will make its debut with LeonD, it will be -4 dB at 62 Hz (the first overtone of low-B) rather than -3 dB like the 4-ohm original. That's the tradeoff the laws of physics impose on us for going up 1 dB in efficiency without increasing the box size. A more optimistic way of looking at it is, the new 8-ohm version is just as loud as the original 4-ohm version at 62 Hz with the same wattage input, but it's louder everywhere above 62 Hz.

With two of the four ports plugged, we're -5 dB at 62 Hz, but we get what I like to call a "sealed box emulation" tuning - that is, the rolloff from 100 Hz down to the mid-30's looks exactly like a sealed box (not that woofer in a sealed box - a lower efficiency woofer in a sealed box). I'm not claiming that it will sound exactly like a sealed box, but it will come closer than most vented cabs.

19. pkstone

pkstone

Apr 13, 2011
    Sacramento
    This is just a brief accolade for Duke and his craft. I've been playing with a 112AF for about a year and a half now, and I just love it more and more all the time. I'm driving it with a GK MB500, and this combination measures up to all the venues I've been in so far. As an example, our gig on Saturday was a medium-sized yard party, about 50 people or so, and our sound dude pulled me out of the mains, because he said "That little speaker is cutting through just fine on its own".

Any bigger venue would probably have me in the PA anyway, and in that case, the 112 would be way more than adequate as my stage monitor.

I sometimes dream of selling the (4-ohm) 112AF and getting a pair of 8-ohm 112s -- I think that rig would be lethal -- but that's really unjustified GAS, considering how well the single 112 has been performing for me.

Worth every penny, Duke!

20. rastap

rastap

Sep 26, 2009
    No such thing as unjustified GAS!:bag:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021