1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AudioKinesis Cabs Part VI...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Ha Ha see I told you there are so many versions. You are thinking ahead and rightfully so. Being now you are committed to the 215, in truth I really would love to hear it as I really think you have done an excellent job with the TC15 (Have not as of yet heard the Hathor). Not that the 12 version is anything short of amazing. But I never thought I would play 15"s again till I now have the TC version. But a 2 15 has really gotten me even more interested. Please keep us posted regularly, well at your convenience ( hope it 's often) about its developments. tell you the truth a 215 TC might be a nice idea. I love the horn. Best in a cabinet I ever heard.

2. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Thank you! I work hard on the crossovers, maybe too hard, because they end up being pretty big. My hope is that enough people will pay a penalty in a couple of pounds and a few bucks for a really nice transition between woofer and horn, and hopefully I can deliver the same sort of transition between woofer and cone. The wider dispersion of the open-format midchamber that I like actually works against a good transition, as it exaggerates the radiation pattern discrepancy between woofer and mid in the crossover region (the pattern discrepancy between woofer and horn is a lot less), but I have a crossover trick or two up my sleeve for dealing with that.

You mentioned a TC215... well, I built a prototype of a 215 with horn, in the course of testing out different configurations a couple of months ago. It was tested by a local band in practice, and they liked it a lot, but it's a pretty wierd cab so I'm moving forward with other projects first. Actually tried out a whole bunch of different things... dual woofers with one slot-loaded, different woofer sizes in the same airspace, a couple of other very unorthodox configurations... some of which may show up later, and some of which got crossed off my list.

Right now I'm just waiting on the precut boards to build the Hathor 215 and send it to its beta-tester. Well truth be known I have a bunch of orders that I'm waiting on the woodwork for, and those from customers who have put down deposits will have priority, but it will all happen as quickly as I can move.

3. In the lobby of a hotel in Omaha waiting to get in the van for the trip home today. Had two great gigs with the TC115, the TH500 and the VP5 this weekend. Very loud outside gig with nothing behind us. Had to push the cab and head more than usually, but the rig sounded GREAT. Big hollow stage last night in a beautiful old ballroom. No problem. Low end was big and controlled and plenty of definition. Not great of course, but good, which in a situation like that is all you could hope for.

The guys love it because it takes up so little room in the equipment van (and the performance of course).

Great box!

4. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I am sure it will sound pretty big being the single 15 cabs you have made are pretty much even with most 410's in volume yet you have more overall depth in the bottom end.
    A 215 hathorn will be a big addition to your company. Don't know how you manage to keep up with having both home and live version cabinets at high end levels. You need to have a bigger factory. This time move it to New York. Will be easier to visit. Maybe the TC215 you can call it the BIG APPLE : ).

5. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I've decided to bring to life a cab that never made it to production-a Thunderchild 118 based on the Faital 18FH500. According to Duke it should be able to nudge out a 15/6/1 in performance. (I found the old PMs!) I was talking to Mike Arnopol about constructing the cab and he suggested using a Faital HF10K driver for a super flat response. More to come...

6. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    I actually worked out two crossovers for two different compression drivers paired with the 18FH500, but both use a horn that won't work with the bolt-on Faital HF10K. I'm afraid that changing horns and compression drivers, and re-designing the crossover accordingly (which takes time to do right) is more than I want to put into a project that's unlikely to go into production. The compression driver I'd use is the same as in the TC115 and most of the custom studio monitors I've done, so it's a pretty good one.

7. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I'm perfectly fine using the design(s) you had in mind. I just didn't know how far developed the 118 concept was. Now I do! :)

8. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Just wanted to post a thank-you to a TalkBass member with initials K. M., for sending a check to help out with an expense. Thank you very much, that was way above and beyond. Unfortunately I have somehow misplaced your contact information, so I'm posting here in hopes that you will see it, and not think I'm a totally ungrateful jerk!

9. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    What a community. :)

Liam

10. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Can you drive the TC112AF effectively with a lower-powered amp?

Why, yes, you can.

I arrived at an IEM gig this morning, only to find out that the IEM's were out. Was pretty worried, as all I had with me was my little G-K MB200, and the leader was asking for earbleed monitor levels.

The G-K sounded great! Didn't hit the limiter once. It sounded much more controlled than you would expect from a 200 watt lead-sled, never mind a 4lb micro!

11. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Well, I just put a down payment toward a Thunderchild 118. I can't wait! I was blown away with the 112 I heard at a GTG a while ago.

12. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    My attempt at going clear/modern didn't go so well. Traded the th500 for SM9.2 and then tried a GK MB800 with the TC212.

Probably should have stuck with the aggie. But over the last 3 years of trying different rigs my favorite amp was the Streamliner and cab was the NV215. So I put the 9.2, GK and 212 up for sale in the classifieds and picked up an STM900 and NV115. Diggin it so far. But I'm glad the 212 didn't sell because the Streamliner sounds really nice through it.

Kind of surprised but the more I play with the 212 the more I think it's voiced significantly different than the TC115. More controlled low end and and more in the midrange. The hot-rodded P Lyte has a lot of bite and the Streamliner really warms it up.

I've also been experimenting with using it as a PA, hence the IPR/DL1608 on top.

Image_zpsff8d3062.jpg

13. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Interesting P bass too.

14. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
  15. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
  16. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Thanks!

17. Hey guys I have an outdoor gig tomorrow with PA support and was wondering if my 1 TC115 would be enough ? I'm using a GB Streamliner 900 but also have a GK MB2-500. Playing mostly classic and modern rock.

18. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    It depends...

19. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Depends on what? I also have an outdoor gig coming up (Country/Classic Rock), wondering if my composite TC115/LMII is enough or should I take my 102p + 102hf. I also still have 2 Goliath III 410s but no longer want to wrestle with 98 lb cabs.

20. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    How loud your band plays. How loud you play. Who needs to hear what your cab is producing. Size of stage. What's coming through the monitors.

Tough to say. The TC212 handled my outdoor pool party gig with no problem. The 115 would have, too. Pop/dance music with PA. But we were up against a wall, fairly close together with an awning over our heads creating kind of a cavern of a stage open on the front. And we don't try to hurt people.:)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021