1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aussie Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JES, Aug 4, 2008.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

Hi All,

I am over in Australia for a few weeks and wonder if there are any boutique pedals worth checking out that haven't yet made it back to North America. Also, suggestions for where to shop in Sydney or Brisbane will be appreciated. So far it looks like Pete's Musicians' Exchange in Newtown is a good bet.

Thanks!

--JES

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I don't know about ones that haven't made it here yet, but OZ and NZ have some coool boutique builders. Crowther, Frostwave, and M.I.Audio come to mind right away.

3. hey man

In brisbane definately check out Tym's guitars in the fortitude valley. has great stuff. he makes his own guitars/basses/pedals. he has a unique bass specific pedal called the big bottom. which is a form of a blender. tim is a top bloke also.

ratachyk amps are also made in brisbane. they are amazing all tube amps.

both builders have sites i believe.

4. Yeah, good bet to get ripped off! :smug: Actually to be fair I've never been there, but I've heard bad stories. Still, if you want that rare bit of gear... Also check out Guitar Crazy in Coogee. Don't expect a bargain, but plenty of rare equipment. If you get down to Melbourne, check the bass centre in park street.

The main two I can think of at the moment are Chunk Systems and MI audio, both of which already have a decent presence in the states from what I can tell. You might find a crowther prunes and custard more easily over here.

5. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    tinkle.

6. +1 for Tyms guitars in Brisbane. He has a pretty good range of used and vintage stuff too.

7. adge

adge

Jun 8, 2006
    sydney, australia

i believe Guitar Crazy is closing up.... I was in the area late last night, and there was "For Lease" signs up and the shop looked a little empty... shame- i really liked going in there with my Guitarist, they had some beautiful Gibsons in there...

8. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    +2 for Tym. Wear a Ramones tshirt & he might show you the "secret stash"...

c-

9. Doolz

Doolz

Oct 5, 2007
    if you're in sydney check out the annandale guitar strip of parramatta road.

basically all the guitar shops have migrated there now, its awesome. my favourite shops there are Global Vintage (its a new one there, used to be in the city) which has a lot of cool old guitars some nice old basses and the a lot of the best in effects, mostly US though.

just down the road you'll find Bass People. bass specific, has a very good range (for australia at least, i mean seriously, THEY HAVE RITTERS), and they have a couple of good effects too, they stock the Chunk Systems Pedals.

10. Evan_S._Brown

Evan_S._Brown

Jan 10, 2008
    i'm pretty sure that it's just moving round the corner

11. adge

adge

Jun 8, 2006
    sydney, australia
    and here was me thinking you worked at another store...:smug:

12. Ya what the? Jacksons Rare Guitars has competition from some newbies? pfft.

And "Bass People"? Is this someone trying to revive Bass Player?

13. Bass People is run by some guys who are members here, I believe. From what I understand they seem pretty committed to customer service and stocking a good range of bass gear. I haven't been there yet myself (only drove past) but I've heard some good things about them.

14. Doolz

Doolz

Oct 5, 2007

lol, ive found that Jackstons Rare Guitars have hardly any basses ever, and all the guys in there are pretentious, elitist A*** Holes.

and yeah, bass people is where bass player used to be (apparently the dude who owned it got into a heap of debt and ran off somewhere)
    i think its a better shop tbh.

15. Well, fair's fair, in the shop owners opinion most people who come into his shop are grubby-fingered window shoppers who will never, ever buy anything from him!! Don't bother them with stupid questions if all you're doing is gawking and you'll get no grief. I've seen quite a few stunning Rics, there's always a Fender or two and a while back I played a very disappointing nylon-string National Resonator bass.

But the point was just to flag a cool place to visit, not necessarily to say that it was "bass junkie heaven"!

Bass Player changed dramatically in the last 5 years - it used to be awesome in the early 90's but they got slack. More recently I found that they never wanted to help you even if you were a serious buyer and they gave crap deals for trades. They also seemed to stop stocking new gear which seemed very odd to me.

16. I believe its under new management.

17. Evan_S._Brown

Evan_S._Brown

Jan 10, 2008
    Yes we are members here but not because we work for Bass People but because we are all bass players that are obsessed with our gear.
    If you have any questions about anything we're always happy to help
    send us a pm or drop us an email or even just visit our website www.basspeople.com.au
    Feel free to drop into the store and check it out. It's pretty cool to see so many Alembics and Ritters in one place.
    We just got a Stanley Clarke Signature Alembic in that is amazing as well as the Hellborg Preamp, Poweramp and speaker cab.
    we're open 7 days and on weekdays open till 7pm.
    next time you're in the area dont just drive past, come say hi and we can talk bass :)

18. Evan_S._Brown

Evan_S._Brown

Jan 10, 2008
    this is untrue.

We are completely separate from The Bass Player.
    We are a completely new store, with completely new gear and completely new staff and owner.
    We just occupy the same spot because everyone knows that that is the 'bass spot' on parramatta rd.
    We have no connection with The Bass Player what so ever.

19. My mistake. Thats whats happens when you read too fast.

20. Evan_S._Brown

Evan_S._Brown

Jan 10, 2008
    no its not your mistake.
    this is a view of many people around Australia.
    Just trying to clear things up thats all.

let us know if you have any questions about anything

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021