Azola EUBs Megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by basss, Dec 3, 2004.

1. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Sorry, but you are mistaken. The Scarab has a small body similar to the Bugbass. That's a Baby Bass, or more accurately, an Acoustic Baby Bass. I used to own one just like it with a cherryburst finish.

Scarab:

attachment.jpg

Acoustic Baby Bass:

[​IMG]

Edit: found this on the facebook "Azola Basses" page:

[​IMG]

armybass likes this.
  2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    This photo also found on the Azola Bass FB page:

Described as "Azola Ultracoustic Baby Bass"

Attached Files:

3. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    Looks like we are both wrong, but you are more right than I was, David!;):D:)

Jill Azola told me that Alphonso had sold his first Azola Bass and bought a Scarab..looks looks like he later he bumped up to the Ultracoustic Baby Bass.

Those Ultracoustic models were really expensive and fancy instruments, and honestly IMHO I think the old plain wooden Zorko was a better value if you could find one.

4. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    And it looks like it sold for $4K..what do I know anyway?;):D

5. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I am looking to buy an Azola Baby Bass, or any Azola with the latin pickup if anyone has one that they would sell....

6. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Who can work on these basses besides Steve as far as neck adjustments are concerned?

I'm afraid to mess with the tilting mechanism. I can't seem to get my action to raise up as much as I used to.

7. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

You could do it yourself.......just loosen the strings, loosen the neck retaining screws and turn the set screw COUNTER CLOCKWISE 1/8th of a turn. Tighten and tune.

Court Crawford likes this.
  8. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I had some work done on my bugbass by NYC luthier Mas Hino. He told me that when he lived in Japan he was Steve Azola's guy over there (or something like that). He does great work. Not in your area but if you need major repairs it might be worth it to send it to him.

9. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I know how to do that part… the problem is I don't have anymore slack in the counter clockwise motion. The neck won't tilt any further in that direction to give me a higher action.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Time for a new bridge?

11. Hi Azola owners.

I just bought a Azola Baby bass with both pickup systems, piezo and magnetic. I live in Denmark, bought it from the US. I can not hear the difference between them ? ? I just read that on some of his basses the volume button can pull up for access to the magfnetic system ? The reason I write this here and now, is that the bass is at the "doctor" -) Have you any knowledge or experiance with this ? hope to hear from you. kind regards, Jesper

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  12. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I had one of those a while back. As I recall, the volume button did pull up. I think the down position utilized both pickups and the up position only used the magnetic discs under the bridge feet. I hope this helps.

13. Great, thanx

14. Court Crawford

Court Crawford

Mar 3, 2015
    HOLA SALSEROS!

I just scored an Azola Ampeg Baby Bass, and I want it exclusively for Salsa. I don't know if I'll ever have a need for the piezo electric pickups; I want to go 100% magnetic diaphragm, but I'm finding that the bass does not have that full fat drum sound I'm looking for, especially on the d and g strings, though there's a great sweet spot on the E at Bb.

I think in order to get the sound I want, I'll need gut strings.

If you're playing salsa and have one of these axes, what strings would you recommend to get the best sound?

15. I hear many Baby bass players use Solo-gauge Spirocores. (tuned at orchestra pitch)
    These strings are thinner than the regulars.

16. Court Crawford

Court Crawford

Mar 3, 2015
    Merci Francois. Has anybody here tried full gut (Pirastro Olives or Pirastro Eudoxas or Errands) on one of these basses? My concern is that the original Ampeg magnetic diaphragm might just have a different sound than the Azola reissue. The bass currently has way too much sustain. I have turned the tone all the way to the bass and pulled up the volume knob to engage only the diaphragm. It sounds good, but it doesn't sound like a drum yet.

MR PC likes this.
  17. You may look at dark-sounding steel strings as well, like Kaplans and Jargars.
    Someone had a Baby Bass for sale here on the Classifieds and it had Flexocor strings. (a renowned orchestral string with very little sustain)
    Found it: For Sale - 1965 Ampeg Baby Bass So Cal | TalkBass.com
    He says:

18. Mario Abad

Mario Abad

Mar 20, 2015
    My baby bass is a Ray Ramirez Baby bass and it was built with the
    Hi, when I first ordered my Ray Ramirez Baby bass, it had the piezo electric and after a few years of having buzzing issues I decided to remove it and go 100% pasive just like the ampeg, boy what a difference did that make to the sound. I must say that Ray Ramirez himself made that change for me. Here is a video from channel. THanks!!

Court Crawford likes this.
  19. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Try adjusting the neck. If you tilt it forward, the strings will be higher off the fingerboard, giving you more thump and less sustain.

20. Court Crawford

Court Crawford

Mar 3, 2015
    Thanks ctx. Can you point me to any instructions on how to adjust the neck of the Azola Ampeg bass?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021