1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back To The Day Job Blues

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FirewalZ, Jan 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I had a good bit of time off the last few weeks of the year, and have been able to completely forget I have a day job:) Ive spent my days hanging with the family, listening to a ton of music on Spotify, playing/practicing a lot, and on the TB community. Now it's back to the Corporate world and i'm having a difficult time changing gears mentally....Anyone else?

2. Farseer

Farseer Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    Yep, back today..sucks no mid morning nap, afternoon nap, pre bedtime nap....man this sucks.

3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Dealing with the same. However, counting my blessings quickly gets my head back in the game with the right attitude [at least temporarily:D].

4. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Yes, im thankful to be gainfully employed and did not mean for this to come across like that. The point I was trying to make was that it's sometimes difficult for me to change roles between Musician and "Corporate Guy", and its a bit exaggerated after a long break.

5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Yes, didn't mean to imply anything different. Alarm clocks, conference calls, and paperwork should have me back into the grind quickly.

Old Blastard likes this.
  6. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Yep...takes me a few days to get my head back in the game. Its exactly what you described, am alarm's, morning commute, conference calls all day, large projects to get caught up on and push, etc.
    I do have a few Irons in the fire for 2018 that I'm looking forward to and could pan out. One of which is a new weekly open stage night that ill be hosting, i've been to a ton and was even in a House Band for a while, but this will be my first time as the host. So lots to be thankful for and look forward to.

7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I'm having a hard time myself .. which is, remembering what it was like to go to work every day, being retired for 13 years will do that to you. ;)

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Yep!
    Been off since Dec. 15th.
    Back at it today :bawl:
    Nice thing is I only have 3 days work this week, next week is full schedule. So it isn't so bad, kinda just easing back into the grind this week. :thumbsup:

9. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Yea...Ive got some ways still to go before I can retire, but looking forward to it,

dbase, nixdad and McG like this.
  10. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    +1, same. Ill go in starting tomorrow, but this will be a lighter week, things will go full bore next week.

dbase likes this.
  11. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I'm a night owl who was stuck in the up-early hit-the-ground-running work world. I clearly remember having two weeks off and completely loving not waking up early. It wasn't the work that bothered me, it was the stupid alarm at 5:30 every morning.

Over four years retired now and every day able to stay up until 2 and sleep until I wake up naturally. :thumbsup:

pigpen1, dbase, Bunk McNulty and 14 others like this.
  12. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    It was pretty funny this morning when one of the machines caught fire and filled the building with smoke. It was a little fire, but it sure woke everybody up.:woot:

dbase, Old Blastard, McG and 2 others like this.
  13. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Yea, today was hard. am on US CST, so about 20 min to QT. I think it would be nice if they would let us do re-entry in stages, until we all get our stamina back. Today should be an ends at 2, Wed could be 3, Thurs, 4, and then Friday 5. That way it's a little less harsh...

14. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Im literally listening to "Tulsa Time".....

15. Back to reality! I was off most of December. The boss sanded and refinished my desk for me! What a nice surprise. NYE weekend was the best for me. I really enjoyed cooking and drinking at my GF's house. I drank all 3 bottles of Prosecco while she had tea! HA HA :) :bassist::roflmao: That's us alright

16. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    That sounds like a blast! I had a real nice stretch of time off....did some drinking, listened to a TON of blues, and read Clapton's 2008 autobiography(really good). Thankfully I get to ease into this week....the kids on the other hand, ill be dragging them out of bed and on the bus tomorrow.....

17. Work? That's a four letter word to me (retired 10 yrs). Every day is like a Saturday to me. Sorry, workin' stiffs, you'll get there too...eventually.

dbase, 1bassleft, McG and 2 others like this.
  18. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    I was supposed to go back today but my girlfriend is quite flu sick so I stayed home. Back tomorrow. I like my job (software engineer), but at 66 I'm really looking forward to retiring and devoting several hours a day to music. OK, now I'm depressed. :(

19. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Yep...back at it tomorrow as well....I am an "IT" guy, and at 46 have nearly 20 years until I can retire...and im already one of the "older" ones within any group at work:)

20. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    sleeping in till pert near 8 am all last week ... was lovely. -10 when I went out to start the car at 6 this morning, it was a little ruff.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Jimmy4string and MrMyopia like this.