1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad days

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sxwr, Mar 7, 2016.

1. sxwr

sxwr

Aug 5, 2014
    Does anyone else have days where they feel like there terrible musicians. Or you just get super frustrated at your practice

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Never (yah right ;) )

shawshank72 likes this.
  3. Beavisplaysbass

Beavisplaysbass

Dec 11, 2015
    Can't have great days without bad days.

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Yep, it's normal, just roll with it.

5. kopio

kopio

May 8, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Yup...it happens. Some days you just can't play anything right...other days, the planets align and you can't miss! All part of the gig...

6. One of those days?
    Try one of those weeks!

I probably spend 60% of my time trying to learn stuff & only 40% actually playing and enjoying it.
    It might even be more like 70/30.

7. Dougie44

Dougie44

Jul 1, 2012
    Michigan
    When it happens I know with in 5 minutes, shut things down and come back in 2 days. Takes that long to get over it.

8. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I've found out that if I am having trouble learning something new, I will just move on to something else and come back to it in a day or two with much better results than if I tried to push through it.

9. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Yup... Been said several times. Move on and come back to it. Otherwise you will build a bigger roadblock in your mind obsessing over it.

10. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    Going through it now sometimes your progress just plateaus. I focused a long time on technique and stuff like sweeps have improved but I realized I feel like I am just taking my guitar stuff and moving it to bass.

So this weekend I have two auditions one metal one kind of rock popish. But this excites me especially the rock project because it's more simple stripped down and vocal focused which means I have to dial way back. Which is what I need to do I sent a video and the guitarist seems nice and isn't afraid to tell me to hold back.

He said it sounds good but here it may just be better to follow along here and there.Which I honestly need right now I feel like I have been just playing lead guitar on a bass for a while, it's time to get back to my bass roots and I think that will make me feel better.

Sometimes stepping back and evaluating what you lack can help. If you lack a technique or over all technique and are getting overwhelmed take a break. Watch a movie go relax than come back but take smaller steps. Start slow even if you're are playing at 2 BPM it's a start and you won't feel like you're spinning your tires.

If like me you feel you're over doing it and loosing the groove force yourself to jam along simple songs and fall back in love with the pocket.

Sorry long response I had to vent a little, great topic.

11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Meh ... go out to a local open mic ... you're bound to feel better about yourself ... ;)

TripleDouble and hintz like this.
  12. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    A bad day of playing music is still better than a good day at work.

13. Bassnomer

Bassnomer Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    Happens to me once in a while as well. I also have days where my bass/amp/tone just doesn't sound good at all to me. Just power through!

14. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    This. May not be as long as two days, more like tomorrow.
    Remember the old slogan, "If it feels good, do it."? Well, the rest of the story is "If it doesn't, stop it and do something else"

Aberdumbie likes this.
  15. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
  16. Take a break, do some other stuff.

17. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    * they're

And yes. Sometimes the delusions of adequacy are inadequate. :(

Correcting spelling mistakes helps for some reason.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

SunnBass and ONYX like this.
  18. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    If you don't have days like that, you're doing something wrong.

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I have bad days around just about everything, not only music. When I'm in them it feels like that's all that exists. Thankfully they pass. I've learned to just ride them out.

I think it goes hand in hand with being an artist. For some it's more intense than for others.