1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad sound with HA3500 and Hydrive 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guitarrophobe, Dec 28, 2017.

1. guitarrophobe

guitarrophobe

Mar 20, 2017
    So I am playing a Sandberg California (P and MM pickups) through a Hartke HA3500 and two Hydrive 112s and I'm not really happy with what's coming out.

To me it kind of sounds like wet cardboard - boomy bass and thin sterile highs. I have the tweeters turned off and the Hydrives stacked on each other and on a box, so they are ear level.
    The bass knob is usually turned down a bit.

Before I got the Hydrives I used an Orange 115 and a I still own an Ashdown Mag 300 with pretty much the same results.

I play with my fingers and use Pressurewound.

Does anybody have any ideas what to try and do to get a "livelier", growler sound, and how to reduce boomyness without losing the bass itself?

2. My first though was that the common denominator is your bass. Is it active? If so try a new battery.

3. guitarrophobe

guitarrophobe

Mar 20, 2017
    Active with passive switch. Switching makes virtually no difference, but the battery is new anyway.

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Then it is your strings...or try a different bass

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    maybe your pickups are wired wrong...or out of phase

6. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I had a HA3500 for years- bulletproof. Be careful of the EQ. The sliders to the left are fairly deep and can cause problems if you're not careful and have them too high. Start with everything flat and go from there.

7. soflbass

soflbass

Mar 2, 2013
    S Florida
    Eq flat and then adjust to a frown from there. Don't fall the victim of the smiley face.

8. guitarrophobe

guitarrophobe

Mar 20, 2017
    I know to avoid the smiley face but what exactly do you mean with the frown?