Bands that have two bass players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tinybasschick, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Ivan R

Ivan R

Jun 8, 2012
    The Beatles' "Think for yourself" has two bass guitars (one fuzzed, one clean), doing different stuff.

2. tonydasquid

tonydasquid

Oct 11, 2012
    They weren't around for very long, but in the mid-90's there was a band called Butterfly Train that just had 2 basses, drums and vocals. This was only for their first album: 'Building Distrust From Trust'. After that, they added a guitarist, and their second album was kind of a disappointment for me. Just seemed unnecessary.
    You be the judge:
    http://www.myspace.com/butterflytrainmusic/music

3. zarah825

zarah825

Sep 21, 2012
    You mean at the same time?

I feel like early Swans stuff would add a second bass, but I could be wrong...

4. basswest

basswest

Dec 16, 2006
    When I saw the band "Green Apple Quickstep", also around the mid-90's, they definitely had two electric bass players.

5. cccy

cccy

Nov 23, 2010
    London, UK
    Lou Reed's "Walk on The Wild Side" features both a bass guitar and an upright bass. Also, Jack Bruce tours with another bass player and they play a few songs together as well.

6. Mal1905

Mal1905

Jan 10, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Van Morrison's band sometimes has two players.

7. Hollyrock

Hollyrock

Sep 11, 2010
    Meshell Ndegeocello would have a steady bass player while she alternates singing and playing bass.

8. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    My old band in high school, The Warped Weeble Wobbles, had two bass players. It actually worked well, and was a lot of fun.

-JV

9. RickenCliff

RickenCliff

Aug 6, 2012
    St. Louis
    Old forum here, but I've been wanting to do something with another bassist for ages. This past weekend, I had the chance to write and record with a good buddy of mine. We both prefer a heavier, driving sound, and for only 2 bassists and a drum machine, we were VERY satisfied with the result, check it out!

!

10. Bob Gross

Bob Gross

Nov 24, 2011
    Coachella Ca.
    Lipe Guitars
    Check out Ivan Nevelle's Dumpsta Funk. Two bass players grooving like motherf---ers.

11. hairyhaw

hairyhaw Inactive

Mar 23, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Me neither, first band I thought of when I saw this thread though.

Alex for the high chordy bits on a Rickenbacker and MAtt on the lower funkier bits on a StingRay.

12. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    It's a bit stupid IMO

13. uberpsycho

uberpsycho

Jul 19, 2013
    Anything can be stupid if it's not executed right...

Peter Hook of New Order once infamously started a band with three bassists called Freebass, though the actual result utilised only two.
    And New Order, especially later era New Order, regularly employed a low synth bassline, and hi melodic bassline.

My favorite twin bass song is Joy Division's heart and soul. It features two very simple parts but the atmosphere they create is unmatched in popular music.

14. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Was very excited when the formation of FReebass was announced (though thought the name to be really lame) because i love both Hook and Andy Rourke from the Smiths (though never cared for the Stone Roses). The end result was underwhelming. Then Mounfield lost his s*** and went out on hook as is documented on the wikipedia (though they patched things up):

"In September 2010, relations between Mounfield and Hook appeared to have soured. On 6 September, Mounfield posted on his Twitter stream (@Maniscream) "Peter Hook's wallet" was "visible from space"[9] because it was "stuffed with Ian Curtis blood money". He further posted that "he ain't got time for me now he's getting fortunes for dragging his mates cadaver round the world getting himself paid". Mounfield finally appeared to devolve himself of the 'Freebass' group by stating he "Can't be doing with talentless nostalgia ****wit whores". Mounfield has since apologised for his remark, stating that his comments were "out of character" and that it was a "venomous, spiteful reaction to a lot of things that are going on in my life right now, and I chose to vent my frustrations and anger at one of my true friends in this filthy business, and ventured into territory which was none of my concern". Hook accepted Mounfield's apology, saying "Mani is a great friend of mine and he always will be. I have the utmost respect for him as a person and musician. Have none of you ever fallen out with somebody you love?"."

15. Killer Kadoogan

Killer Kadoogan

Aug 19, 2013
    UK
    Surprised that no-one has mentioned Sigur Rós yet. Jonsi plays an old EB2 style bass (thinks it's an Epiphone) during live performances of Hoppípolla, in addition to the regular bass player Georg Hólm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbPWi1gshzI

16. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    now defunct I believe - Sing Orpheus

17. Check out Morkobot. Two bassists, a drummer, lotsa pedals.

18. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Has anyone mentioned Ned's Atomic Dustbin? They had two bass players.

19. Troiani

Troiani

Dec 9, 2006
    Oslo, Norway
    Willie Nelson had two bassists and two drummers for awhile.

20. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Gone but not forgotten:

Family Plot

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021