1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Basses that sound great/better played with a pick.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Simorchid, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Lately I have been exploring the tonal capabilities of my basses now that I have built up a bit of a collection. I love the sound of a good pick tone and some of my basses sound awesome played with a pick while others don't seem to have the pick bass mojo.

Example-My stingray sounds great pick style but my Warwick thumb will not make a sound that pleases with a pick regardless of how much I play with the EQ.

Other basses that I think sound particularly amazing with a pick are the P-bass with round wound steel strings and the Rickenbacker 4003 with rounds.

What basses do you think sound great or better when played with a pick?

P.S. Please don't make this a pick vs finger style thread. We have all heard the opinions before.

2. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Gotta admit, I like a P-bass w/ flats. Nice and thumpy. And I 2nd the Rick- definitely a great pick bass.

Tbone76 and IGotGas like this.
  3. Wals sound just perfect picked.

4. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    +1 Any Ric, IMO.

5. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Ric's as stated and the Gibson TBird which really cuts through like a buzzsaw when picked. :)

6. McGillicuddy 79

McGillicuddy 79

Jul 9, 2011
    Schecter C-4

7. I mostly play fingerstyle (P-bass & Jazz - both with flats) with lots of tube OD and fuzz. BUT...I recently tried the P-bass with a pick and the amp on the clean channel. What an AWESOME friggin' sound! I think I'm addicted.

IGotGas likes this.
  8. To add to what has been mentioned, Spectors sound great when playing with a pick.

9. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I feel dirty when I take a pick to my Bongo. Might be something about that 18v preamp.

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Lets see...from what I've actually played

P bass
    Stingray
    G&L (I've got an ASAT, but I assume any of the L2K series sound pretty much the same)
    Modulus Q. The carbon neck just makes it sound so clear when using a pick.
    Sadowsky PJ5, probably any of their basses though.
    I actually really like my Warwick Thumb 5. Maybe not quite as full sounding as other basses, but it cut through like nobodies business.

11. vivifiction

vivifiction

Jan 22, 2011
    Texas
    My '82 Fender Bullet plays like a dream with a pick!

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think hollow and semi-hollow basses produce unique, cool sounds with picks, like the DiPinto Belvedere I used for a few years. You get definition and "thud." I know many don't associate pick playing with Jazz basses, but they're a great match IMO.

Osztertag2112 and dome like this.
  13. Call me crazy but I absolutely LOVE the sound of a P-bass picked. In fact, I'd go as far to say that, if I played pick style, I would only do so on a P-bass.

The G&L L2000 also sound wicked played with a pick. Very bright and punchy with just enough growl to cut through any mix.

14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I feel that the Höfner Beatle bass was meant to be played with a pick (+ palm muting).

grahamrowell likes this.
  15. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    P & Ray.

16. I had a BC Rich NJ Beast it only sounded good when played with a pick to me finger style just did not cut it. Ahh the 80's when your bass guitar came with a caution sharp edges warning lol

17. Damn P-Bass...., it's unbelievable with a pick ... i used to be a finger player only, but now i'm colecting picks around to be played with the P-Bass, it's amazing how taste can change from a bass to another... warwick $$ a hell with a pick due to it's NOT BRIGHT AT ALL sound and the steinberger synapse can handle boths beautifully,

18. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    P-bass w/rounds or flats
    most any bass with a p/j setup
    G&Ls
    most any bass with EMGs
    stingrays

19. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    In my youth I played with a pick exclusively, as I got older I became more of a purist & went fingerstyle 60-70% of the time, but damn.....nothing really beats a P-Bass or a Rick played with a pick!

20. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I play mostly fingerstyle but, honestly, I think all of my basses sound great with a pick, too. That's even truer if pick style is the one that best fits a given song.

FWIW, the ones that I use a pick on the most are my Precision (Chromes) and my Stingray (Lo Riders). But my SX Jazz, FNA Jazzman, Millennium, and Tobias all sound great played with a pick as well as fingerstyle.

Just colors in the palette ...
    :bassist: