Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bassists who don't like jaco

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Janas, Apr 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janas

Janas

Nov 25, 2002
    England
    I'm gonna sound like a complete idiot but I've heard alot on this and other forums about a bassist called Jaco Pastorius or something like that, the question is who the hell is he

P.S. I've only been playing for about 5 months so please be gentle with your replies:rolleyes:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Or search this site - choose keyword : "jaco" and you will find a large number of threads !!

4. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Yes, search here and there, information is bountiful! :)

Gonna close this, no need to waste bandwith or deal with any smarty who'd try to flame a newbie. :D

5. Nicklas

Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    Just hear him play and im very impressed.

He is very much Jimi Hendrix

Maybe the best talent of bass ever and then he did die young in a horrible "accident"......

Can anyone tell me what happent with him in his last days???

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Try reading the FAQ I know ya didnt, because this answers already in there. ;)

7. Ok, here is the story...
    I know this other bassist at school who plays punk quebecois (french songs) and he asked me what kind of music I play, I say that fusion jazz is the music I like and I then make him listen to the bass legend jaco... (I made him listen to donna lee, fantasia chromatica, etc...) and he sayed he hated his playin' :eek:

do you guys know anybody like that?!?!

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You'll find a lot of them here on Talkbass. It's an aquired taste really. If this guy is into punk... he plays the complete opposite of jazz.

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It's not that I don't like him, his playing or his contributions, I just don't agree with the degree of "worshiping" that goes on for some people. There's more to bass than Jaco.

El Pelusa and scourgeofgod like this.
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I recognize his talent, but I dislike his playing and tone.

I believe this thread will become very heated when the clones wake up.

El Pelusa likes this.
  11. yes, your right but this guy im talking does'nt think he's good...

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For a long time, I reisisted Jaco because I was a Stanley Clarke fan and back in the '70s some people tried to make it Stanley versus Jaco. Now I see what people meant when they said that Jaco music tended to be more harmonically complex. It wasn't that Stanley couldn't, he just didn't. Anyway both were great bass pioneers. As for Jaco, I think that he is in bass consciousness so deeply that people quote him and his technique without even knowing they have done it.

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    First of all, how old is the guy who told you he disliked Jaco? Hey may be suffering from "RAH ALL SO-CALLED OLD GREATS SUCK!" whippersnapper syndrome. But then again, I see how you could dislike his playing if you dislike busy bass lines and nasal bass sounds.

14. the guy's 17 years old... and I would'nt blame him if he you would'nt like the tone (everyone has his sound) but when you he sucks, Imean WOW...

15. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have to admit I'm not a big Jaco fan either - he was clearly very talented, but just not my thing. And his tone was (IMHO) atrocious.

PS - I dig school players a lot (Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Geddy Lee, etc.)

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thing is, Jaco would call himself 'a punk'. Look at him & his appearance...that's a "Jazz" look?
    As far as "Punk" & "Jazz" goes...there are many Punk fans that can relate to & enjoy Free Jazz vs. the Hard Bop/Swing Jazz listener.
    Hell, I think the David S. Ware Quartet used to open for Sonic Youth. How's that for a twin bill?
    (You would never ever see Ware opening for Wynton Marsalis!).

Anyway-
    What was it, a couple weeks ago, when we went through this?

My new stock response for these type of threads-
    "Jaco sucks"? You know who didn't think Jaco sucked?
    Two Jazz legends who know the real deal when they hear it: Joe Zawinul & Wayne Shorter".

I wouldn't classify Jaco's tone as 'atroucious' by any stretch of the imagination, either.

17. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I never really got into the whole Jaco thing. Maybe I just haven't given him enough of a chance, but after listening to a few of his songs, nothing has really clicked for me. Having said that, I recognize that he's obviously influenced tonnes of bassists, and is a skilled player, I guess it's just not my thing. I do like 'Chromatic Fantasy' though. And I agree that sometimes the Jaco worshipping can go a little overboard. Whatever bloats your goat.

Graeme

El Pelusa likes this.
  18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I can totally understand someone saying Jaco sucks. Here are some quick reasons I can think of:

1. They want to be considered "different" and feel one up on everyone else.
    2. They're totally intimidated by the playing, know there's not a chance in hell they're ever going to be able to play any instrument like that, and want to put the guy down in an attempt to make themselves feel better.
    3. They're stupid and ignorant.
    4. They really know nothing about Jaco whatsoever.
    5. They haven't heard enough Jaco.
    6. Busy basslines annoy them (as they often do me) and anything they've heard Jaco do simply sounds like noise to them.
    7. They like hearing sizzling highs, or reggae like thump.
    8. They believe there's beauty in simplicity.
    9. They heard Jaco play on his instructional video (where I think he DOES suck).
    10. They've never SEEN Jaco play. I think the punks would have a new respect.

I've leanrned to ignore people who say silly things. If someone told me they thought Jaco sucked I'd say, "cool".

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I was in my mid teens when I first heard Jaco! I was coming from a R&B, Funk background and I identified more with Stanley Clarke's playing and sound. I understood Jaco's playing but hated that midrangy tone he had. It just didn't appeal that much to me to wanna be like him or play like him. I do believe he did bring the fretless electric bass to the forefront of the music scene and it spawned countless clones. Some of which have exponded beyond what Jaco did!

20. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Punk is definitely not the opposite of jazz. People tend to define both too strictly. Ornette Coleman's Prime Time was an imitation of proto-punk Captain Beefhearts sound. Television and the Minutemen have very strong jazz influences in their sound. James Blood Ulmer combined the two pretty well.

Good music and bad music are opposites. I would rather listen to good jazz and good punk than good jazz and bad jazz.

Back to the topic. When Jaco came out he did more to raise the profile of bass guitar and prove that bass guitar could lead than anyone else had up to that point. Stanley Clarke was there first, but he also played upright. Jaco showed in a dramatic fashion that bass guitar could do it without having to refer to the upright. I don't like his music or listen to it, but he was great and he broke a lot of boundaries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.