Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basstasters & DI Boxes???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Aug 15, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    calling all DI box owners!

anyone mind sending an Aguilar, Demeter, Countryman, Radial JDI, GT, or whatever DI box you have to Basstasters? its the one important aspect in most recording situations, and seems like a bit of a gap in the otherwise killer samples that Josh and Van have done for the community.

if anything, i'm gonna try and send in my active Radial J48 for anyone curious.

btw, is anyone else having problems with the downloads coming out all squiggly sounding? literally sounds like the samples are being played thru a blender than winamp. :rolleyes:

2. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    way cool idea Joker. I would say just run the Sadowsky 5 through all of them...one clip w/eq, one clip w/out.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I think that I can part with my Radial JDI for a week or so... ;)

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    My sansamp is already up there, but I can throw in the EBS and MXR ones if Todd is ready to receive a flood of DI boxes.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the more the merrier, dave.

heck, i think he should make a whole separate page for the boxes.

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Wow Joker, thanks for the plug and the call to action! I think if I get a couple more DI boxes to taste (thanks Big Joe!) I can definitely make a new section out of it.

Yamarc - how would you do EQ, just on the bass itself?

DW - always ready for a flood, my good man!

Todd

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe, Van,

in hindsight, maybe i should have emailed you first to see if you had time for another undertaking! :meh: but good to hear you're more than ready for it. :cool:

but, if i may...

if there's EQ options on the DI like the Sansamp, then on the box itself.

but of course, most true DI boxes dont have EQ, so i guess use the bass' onboard pre for the EQ.

personally, i'd rather hear all the DI's with the sadowsky onboard doing all the EQ'ing. would be cool to compare and contrast how each DI handles the inherent tone of the bass itself.

8. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    yeah.....what he said....

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    True, but if someone is thinking about buying a sansamp, mxr or ebs I think it'd be valuable to let them hear the tone shaping capabilities. That is, if someone wants a Sadowsky DI they can hear how much of it's own sound it can add.

so something like this:
    1) bass flat, di/preamp flat
    2) bass eq, di/preamp flat
    3) bass flat, di/preamp eq

10. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I'd be interested in shipping out my Raven Labs MDB as long as I got it back in a couple weeks. If/when you're ready to do the shootout, let me know.

Heck, I might even be willing to part with my Raven Labs USIP for about a week so it could be added to the preamp shootout.

-Eric.

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Eric

That would be wonderful! I could easily get the preamp and DI back to you within a couple weeks. Are you in South Hill as in, South Hill of Puyallup? If so, I have a close friend that I work with that also lives there, and we could just arrange a meeting and he could bring them up. Or if you're ever near Redmond, we could meet up.

Let me know!

Todd

12. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    You are quite correct! I had no idea you were in Washington state. I'm up in your area about every other weekend. Geez, we just might have to add my F Bass BN6 to the mix too!

-Eric.

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    :eek: That would be swell!

Let me know if you'd like to hook up next time you're up here, and we'll make it happen!

Thanks! :D