Battery powering a Phil Jones Double Four

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CauliColin, Apr 1, 2017.

1. lordradish

lordradish Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    In case you're on the fence or need another one, Amazon now has them for 45.99 as the regular price, and a 9 dollar coupon for Prime Day.

RodRy likes this.
  2. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    My PJB D4 is in the mail and should be here soon. So is my Dell powerbank that might or might not be strong enough. What I need now is info on the measurements of the barrel connector the Double Four needs. Could anyone here enlighten me?

3. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Springdale, AR
    Post #26: 5.5x2.1mm

el murdoque and RodRy like this.
  4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks for your effort! I ordered one.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Has anyone tried using a pair of Poweradd Pilot Pro 2 battery's
    connected in parallel (with a 2 into 1 adaptor) to power their Double Four?

I'm thinking about building a 2-female into 1-male adaptor with 14 gauge wire connected through inline 10-amp diodes to eliminate the possibility of one Poweradd back-feeding into the other...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    RodRy likes this.
  6. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Why do you want that? How long do you play at one time? My Lenmar battery with less amp hours runs for hours, but as a precaution, I bought a second one when it was still available, with the idea i could just swap it out when necessary, which has been never in the last 5 years.

cosmicevan, lordradish and RodRy like this.
  7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    My Poweradd Pilot Pro 2 battery has overload circuitry that switches the battery off when powering my D4 in the upper volume (amperage-draw) range. So I'm just considering buying a second Poweradd to help share the load.

LondonWoodwind likes this.
  8. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    Hi
    I am looking for a new practice amp and this PJB double four is tempting me. I am in Europe and it seems that the EU version is slightly different because there is no DC input. It's replaced by a stamp with QC.
    Here: https://www.thomann.de/be/phil_jones_double_four_bg_75_bk.htm
    Is the DC input unavailable for EU market ?
    Is there still a possibility to use a DC power source ?
    Thank you

9. LondonWoodwind

LondonWoodwind

Feb 18, 2020
    London
    In the UK you can't buy a new double4 with the DC input, it has the transformer built into the amplifier itself.
    I would assume that is a Europe wide specification so if you want to run a laptop battery you'll have to find a second hand older model.

RodRy likes this.
  10. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    thank you. That’s too bad…

LondonWoodwind and RodRy like this.
  11. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    thanks everyone for putting my attention to the DeWalt batteries. today I had a first gig with a DeWalt battery and Double Four. and it's terrific, not those PowerAdd powerbanks.

I have an European market battery that's rated for 18V, but I believe it's the same battery that's sold as 20V in US. when fully charged, it produces 20V, when discharged, goes lower. a 3hr gig with bass and vocals in the Double Four left my 3Ah battery still at 3 of 3 charge leds. maybe the battery didn't calibrate itself (it's new)? not sure.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  12. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    more updates on a DeWalt battery. the amp starts distorting when the voltage goes down to 18V. this can be worked around by playing softer or turning the volume down a bit, but to be happy at maximum volume, the Double Four likes it at 19-20V, not 18.

on my 3Ah battery it reaches 18V after one of three battery leds is gone or after like 5 hrs of use with Double Four.

13. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Springdale, AR
    Last gig I did, we played about 3 hours, took a break and swapped batteries and played another 3 hours. I still showed 3 bars after 3 hours each.

Battery swap at break is a safe way to go.

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Anyone here know anything about this one?
    It doesn't look like they no longer make the Pro 2.
    Screenshot-20210803-130210-e-Bay.jpg

15. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

If it has a surge limiter circuit, you'll be restricted on how loud you can set the amp.

16. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe that's why they had the deal on the other one? Now I'm kicking myself for not getting a spare (mostly cause I have dreams of a portable stereo D4 setup)

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021