Battery powering a Phil Jones Double Four

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CauliColin, Apr 1, 2017.

1. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    My order went through.

2. lordradish

lordradish Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    What time did you do it?

3. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    Around 11 am cst

4. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    I figured it out... you can only use it once. Thankfully, I was able to get another one on my wife's account.

RodRy and bebass like this.
  5. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Mystery solved. That really is amazing price if they hold up….kinda wondering if they are coming out with a revised version being the reason for the huge discount.
    The first one of these I purchased a couple of years ago ran OK, but when I jacked up the volume, the Double Four would cut off. Have you experienced this?

RodRy likes this.
  6. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    I don't know, as I haven't gotten one, yet.

I suspect they may be coming out with another one as well, but hey, if this holds me for a few years, that's fine. I'm going to power a pedalboard with the second one.

RodRy and bebass like this.
  7. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Yeah, I thought of the pedal board powering. I am setting up a complete with subs battery operated PA & individual bass amp (beyond what I can get with the Double Four) system this summer with battery operated pre for bass and multifunction pedal for guitar. Free from the Grid! This is what I personally love about an amp that is easily powered from battery packs.

lordradish and RodRy like this.
  8. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    Has anyone found a good car charger for the Poweradd? I don't have a hookup at a lot of places I camp, and would rather go straight to 12v instead of plugging it into an inverter.

RodRy likes this.
  9. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Just got my $39+ Poweradd today. Waiting for it to reach full charge.
    Thanks for letting me know about it, and how to get it to properly apply to my cart!

Let's go jam!
    :D

lordradish likes this.
  10. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Well, once it was fully charged, it only took a few minutes to figure out how to make it work with my D4. Amazing, the sound is just as it was when plugged into the wall. Loud, no sign of clipping or shutting off. I started experimenting with what areas of the house have the best acoustics.

The cats are not in favor.
    :woot:

BlueTalon likes this.
  11. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    New PowerAdd 2 charged and running D4 @ full volume.

nbsipics, BlueTalon and RodRy like this.
  12. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Are you mad you have 2? I am still wondering if I need a second...ya know, for the second double four I haven't bought yet

RodRy likes this.
  13. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Glad I have 2. Imagine if I'm playing in a park somewhere and draw a huge crowd. Just as my power dies after several hours of furious shredding a famous promoter shows up with a bag of gold and needs to here one more set to be sure. I'm now ready. : smug:

ZainyBass, RodRy and anderbass like this.
  14. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ha, I love that post.

RodRy likes this.
  15. ZainyBass

ZainyBass

Mar 28, 2020
    New York City
    Hey, thanks for the tip on the Poweadd2 battery! I noticed a couple of you posted that you had issues with the Double Four cutting out when run on these batteries. Last year I bought the slightly bigger PowerAdd (32,000mAh), and it worked fine when I used the amp for practicing at home, but I just used it on a (loud) gig (where I had to crank up the volume) and the amp kept shutting off on me! Really annoying. It seems to be a safety feature on the battery, but I'm not sure if it's just the larger one, or if it happens w the smaller PowerAdd too. Anyone else have an issue with their Poweradd batteries on a gig where you really had to get a fair amount of volume? Thanks.

RodRy likes this.
  16. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I was one who posted about getting cutoff, but it was with a RAVPower 23,000, which has a protection circuit that shuts off the power if there's too much draw. I just read this on the Amazon page for the PowerAdd 23000, which says to me that the same thing is going to happen:
    • Multiple Protection: over-charge protection, over-current protection, over-voltage protection, over-temperature protection and short-circuit protection ensure device safety.

RodRy likes this.
  17. ZainyBass

ZainyBass

Mar 28, 2020
    New York City
    Yes, that sounds like it would result in the same thing. A lot of this really depends on how (hard) you play. plus I can play a lot at home at high volume and be fine, but then when I'm out on a gig and things get loud and I dig into a low open string - bang - it shuts down, and that's really frustrating and not acceptable for performance purposes. I had the input level at 12:00 or lower too. It just seems at times the amp is going to demand more current than this battery can provide. So what's my solution? Maybe go the power drill battery route?

kohanmike and RodRy like this.
  18. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

If you have a tool battery and they provide an inverter, go for it.

19. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Well, so far no gigs for me :thumbsdown: so I cannot speak to that. But playing with pretty loud volume at home, I've had no issues with a shut-off. Fingers crossed!
    :thumbsup:

20. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    So I finally got around to trying the Poweradd (2, actually), with my D4. Awesome. Was able to crank it up, no probs. Played for an hour and a half, seems like it loses 10 percent an hour. How about everyone else? What rate?

Still trying to find a solution to charge this thing with a 12v charger. I'm going camping next week and reeeeeally want to have something by then, so if anyone has any ideas, please share!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021