Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino HT112 or Eden D112

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by CBFinet, Nov 2, 2005.

1. CBFinet

CBFinet

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm wondering if anyone has any experience coimparing these two cabinets. Right now I've got two EA cabinets; a VL208 and a VL210B and while they're great, I've picked up a few more electric gigs recently (I mainly play upright) and I don't want to overwork the VL208 by playing a 5-string through it and don't want to lug the 2-10 cab up stairs, so I'm trying to replace the VL210 with one or two 12" cabs. I've heard great things about the Bergantinos for both upright and electric and I've heard great things about the Edens for electric. Does anyone have any idea of how they compare for both upright and electric?
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

By the way, I've got a post in the DB classifieds section with the VL210B for sale. Pictures are coming soon.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Between those two, I strongly prefer the HT112. I really liked Eden's 212XLT, but to me, their 1x12 was a bit disappointing. It really does not have much low end at all. I would say that for upright, the best 1x12's I have used are the HT112 and the EA Wizzy. I've heard that some guys are having good results with the Epifani T-112UL, but my T-112's (non-UL) are a bit scooped in the upper mids for standalone use. They do have massive low end, though.

Tom.

3. I agree with Tom. I've A/B'd a lot of single 10, 12 & 15". My Bergantino 112 is the best I've owned. It's an EX (extension..w/out tweeter). I had the Aguilar 112 for a minute. It was OK. But the Bergantino sounds like my bass with power/volume. You can really push this speaker. Very efficient. My UB sounds great thru this. I use a 10" Ampeg PortaBass for quiet gigs. Great for hauling, but they can fart at you if you over power them.

4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I own a Bergie EX112 and HT210. Nice cabs, you would not be disappointed. I was thinking about getting rid of the 210 in favor of the HT112, or possibly switching to a pair of EA Wizzys (I'll A/B them first), but now I think I'll hold out for the new EA 2-8" and give that a test drive before I make any changes.

I've tried a few Edens, not the 112 though. I liked Bergantino better.

5. CBFinet

CBFinet

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks everyone. I just sent payment for a used Bergantino HT112. Once I get it, I'll probably be parting with the VL-210 and maybe shopping for an additional Bergantino 112. Does anyone know about pairing these speakers (Bergantinos) with other cabs? I seem to remember someone pairing a Bergantino 112 with a Wizzy, but I'm not sure.
    Anyways, thanks again.
    Chris

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have a Wizzy and two HT-112s. The Wizzy is an efficient (102 db) 4 ohm cab while the HT-112 is 97 db and 8 ohms. They sound good together but the Wizzy is definitely louder when plugged into the same amp. If you had a stereo power amp you could match levels. The Wizzy has a pronounced midrange that cuts through and projects very well, while the Berg is smoother and more refined with a great top end.

Hey Tom, how would you compare the AccuGroove Tri-110 and 208 cabs to the HT-112 and Wizzy for upright? Also curious how the EA NL-210 compares.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Tri 208 has very good tone for upright, but it does not get all that loud (and cannot handle as much volume as the HT112). I have not tried the Tri 110, but in general, it's more aggressive and cutting than the Tri 208.

I recently did a 2x10 shootout, and the NL-210 acquitted itself quite well.

Tom.