Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bernard Edwards - Sadowsky Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eduardo, Jun 17, 2004.

1. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    Hello again my friends. :rolleyes: Just wondering... Does anybody knows wich Sadowsky bass Bernard Edwards played on 1984 CHIC ISM album ? Thanks. Eduardo.

2. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    Pics maybe? :)

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Was Sadowsky building basses in '84?

4. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    i think the album Chic-Ism is from 1987 - and Roger Sadowsky is indeed listed in the credits of the album.

I assume he played a Vintage Jazz 4 string?

5. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    CHIC ISM was recorded in 1986. Sorry my mistake. :eyebrow:

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I seem to recall Bernard Edwards played a Music Man.

7. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    He played a MM in his early years, he also played a B.C. rich if I'm not mistaken, but later in his career he switched to Sadowsky.

8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    smart man.

f

9. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    Bernard and his MM live at Budokan in 1996, hours before he died.

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eek:
    Ouch...
    What happened to him?

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    At the age of 43, Bernard Edwards died of pneumonia while touring with the group Power Station in Tokyo, Japan, on the 18th of April, 1996.

f

12. And he played a gig before he died?

Wow. I just wish I can reach that level of musicianship in my lifetime.

13. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    R.I.P Bernard Edwards.

From what I know he died during his sleep the night following this concert.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    He definitely looked more frail in that Budakan picture than he did during his prime with Chic. I remember when I heard of his passing. I was heart broken. Bernard Edwards influenced me as much as any bassist I ever heard. I always feel badly that he never got his true recognition because his music was considered "disco" and because he was mainly a finger stylist during the slap explosion of the 1970's.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am sure Roger would happy to tell you what you want to know drop him a line roger@sadowsky.com.

16. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    He was one of the true innovators of the Electric Bass and I have a tremendous level of respect for him!

17. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    :p So Mr. S , please tell me wich Sadowsky model Bernard played in 1986. Vintage Jazz 4 string with maple fingerboard maybe?

18. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The "vintage" models Roger makes are relatvely new IIRC. I suspect that in the mid 80s Roger didnt even make different models. Are you looking for color and wood types?

19. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    He looked like Dave Chappelle..

20. That Budokan gig was recorded and is available on CD, it's a cracking gig and recommended listening for any one who wants alesson in how to groove (as is all of chics stuff) He even makes a comment on how "unwell" he feels saying something about having "Tokyo Flu"
    Check it out if you can, his playing is spot on, most of Chics big hits are on there along with a few Sister Sledge grooves too, We Are Family etc, Good Times goes into Rappers Delight and Bernared cuts loose just before the rap, also worthy of a mention is Slash on Le freak who puts in a nice solo, then "wah wahs" his way to the end off the song.
    Great player!

Tony