1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Bass Player you've ever seen Live

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Muusers, Aug 15, 2006.

1. This is a hard one, considering all the bands i've seen and all the solo artists. For example, last month i've seen Marcus Miller and Tool. There's also a lot of bassists i haven't seen live, but would still get a place in my top 10 best bass players ever.

Hmm...

For now i'll stick with Justin Chancellor of Tool. That man puts his bass at the same hight of recognition in songs as Adam Jones does. (No offence, Adam Jones is a real good guitar player)

Yep, Justin Chancellor it is!:)

2. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

Chris Wood, of Medeski Martin and Wood.

3. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    I did a gig in a venue that had mirrors...;)

We don't get any solo bass players in Ireland on tour so I guess Flea is the best i've seen, although i think Mike from Greenday is _awesome_

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    With something as subjective as music, identifying THE best at anything is at best a very subjective thing ... :D

But off the top of my head the "best" I've seen play live would probably come from people in this group:
    Mike Rutherford
    Geddy Lee
    Chris Squire
    Victor Wooten
    Edgar Myers (upright classical , but he did an AMAZING concert with just him and Bela Fleck on banjo)
    Tony Levin
    Jeff Berlin

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Eh, I saw the Flecktones and Primus, pretty good bassists in those bands.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I saw Dominique Di Piazza, John McLaughlin and Trilok Gurtu tear the house down (2 meters from where I sat - price of admission 2.50 $!!!! - gotta love small jazz festivals!!!)

7. mrwink

mrwink Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Los Angeles area
    Wow... I don't know I've been blessed to have seen so many live - Victor W, Michael M, Adam N, Abe Laborial, Alex Al, David Dyson, Marcus Miller... and lots more that I can't remember.

I think the most recent "holy crap" moment was when I saw Rhonda Smith a few weeks back at the Pasadena Bass Day at LAMA... I was just amazed at how great a player she truly is! All that and looks too! Woot! She did a pretty good clinic too... I learned a ton... helps to have a smallish bass vocab to start with, I guess! ;-)

Nice to live in So Cal...

8. i have seen flecktones and phish, i think between wooten and gordon, i have seen some of the best basswork in those two concerts than in just about every other concert i've seen put together!

9. hm...

I'd say

Marcus Miller
    Jean Baudin ( altough that was a masterclass and a not a gig )
    Markus Setzer

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Walter Savage, although he's on DB. He's not well known outside the SF Bay Area (AFAIK), but his playing is super strong, steady, and emotive.

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Vic Wooten or Billy Sheehan

Rob

12. Mmmm, maybe Billy Sheehan a couple of years ago for the G3 tour or John Myung. But we don't get a lot of good shows here in Chile so every little show with a good bassist (like once in a year), im there ;)
    And guess what i just found out... Stanley Clarke is coming like in 2 weeks and the G3 tour is coming again, with Satriani, Petrucci and Johnson. And there's a chance John Patituci will come next year. :eek:

I guess music scene is getting better here :hyper:

13. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    It's a toss-up between Geddy and Chris Squire.

14. Jon Simonoff

Jon Simonoff

May 13, 2006
    Maine
    Matt Garrison in Boston. He played with a drummer and a keyboard/trumplet player. It was a crazy good show.

15. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I saw Oteil Burbridge with Colonel Bruce Hampton back in 1993, but most recently the best that I've seen was Anthony Jackson holding the bass down with Mike Stern. Amazing!

16. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'd have to give my vote to Trip Wamsley.

17. Gasp!

Gasp!

Apr 27, 2005
    Switzerland
    Bass players:
    Alain Caron
    Marcus Miller

DB players:
    Dave Holland
    Henry Texier

18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Some I've been lucky enough to see, in no particular order...

Jaco
    Percy Jones
    Jeff Berlin
    Geddy Lee
    Chris Squire
    Mark King
    Jack Bruce (with John McLaughlin)
    John Entwhistle

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

From the top of my head, Alain Caron and Michael Manring impressed me the most.

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've been blessed to see most of the players I really admire. Among electric bassists, it would be hard to pick just one. I loved seeing Nathaniel Phillips (Pleasure), Bernard Edwards (Chic), Marcus Miller,
    Victor Wooten & Anthony Werllington to name a few. On acoustic, Dave Holland was unreal and was faster than most electric players, Chris Wood groved like crazy, and Percy Heath was simply a master, he made his upright sound just like an electric! Plus Mr. Heath let me play his bass at a workshop!:D