1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best gig bag around?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by davidchampoux, Aug 3, 2012.

1. davidchampoux

davidchampoux Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    This might have been discussed before, but I can't find any relevant info with the 'search'...

I'm becoming more and a more a fan of gig bag's, but what the BEST one available? As light as possible, but as solid as possible too... Don't need too many extra pockets, etc... Just light and solid (if that exists)...

Let me know what you think!

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The more expensive ones tend to have more storage as well.

I like iGig and the Protec Contego, but if you don't need storage and want as light as possible, Body Glove might be your best deal.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    For what you describe, the Mono M80 will fit the bill perfectly.

4. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    +1 to mono...got one its sweet.

5. davidchampoux

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
  6. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I love my igig, but it's not light. The Mono M80 is much lighter and very protective. The newer Reunion Blues bags - the ones with the internal rigid support - are very light weight and very protective.

If you don't need the internal support of a semi-rigid bag you can save a lot of weight. For simplicity and durability you can't go wrong with the classic Reunion Blues, the higher-end Levy's or the Mooradian bags. All very good companies.

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Those bags are very protective. They don't offer a whole lot of rigidity, but the padding is very thick.

The security of a semi-rigid bag is very enticing, but it's not a requirement unless your bass gets some pretty rough handling.
    I have a Mooradian bag - no rigidity at all - that survived over 20 years of NYC subway travel without ever allowing any harm to come to my basses. I have a similar Reunion Blues bag that has done the same for about 15 years.

If you're planning to put the bag in a car with other equipment, the rigidity might be more of an issue. I actually worry about my basses more when they're bouncing around with other gear than when they are on my back!

8. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I had an old Ritter bag that survived the F Train for years. I have an InCase now that I like a lot. But I'm not traveling around like I used to.

9. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    :meh:
    You have to be realistic. The new wave of gig bags like iGig which are basically soft cases offer a lot of protection. But so does a $50 foam bag, depending on what you're expecting of it. Whether it's a regular bag or an iGig (or similar) my bass is either in my car or on my shoulder - always nearby and solidly supported. Any foam lined bag that's leaned up against a wall and tips will protect the bass - nothing will happen to it.

Of course you want the most for your investment, but if maximum protection is your criteria, stick with a hard case. No bag will match that protection level.

Otherwise, any mid/top end gig bag will be more than enough for your needs. It's just a matter of picking out what else the bag offers in the way of storage etc. Unless of course, you're throwing your bass into the back of a truck full of equipment.;)

My regular bag(s) is an Undercover (single and double). Years of use, never a mishap. I do have one iGig but I got it mainly because it was the only one that fit my Alembic. The fact that it's a great bag is a added benefit.

10. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I have had a reunion blues bag for 10 years. I love it.

11. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    +100 for Mono. Plus they have a new version that allows you to vertically load the bass into the bag. Check their site.

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'm not sure if it's the exact model, but there is a video of a Reunion Blues bag with a guitar in it getting thrown off of a roof multiple times. The guitar inside it was fine.

13. Timmah

Timmah

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Reunion Blues Continental. I have one, and recommend it. It really does protect!

14. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Many great bags out there. Mono, Levy...etc.

I have had a Reunion Blues leather bag for 27 years, been all over the world. Great bag, but the company is not what it once was. Reunion Blues are expensive and guaranteed for life.... but when I went to try and get service on worn out straps, not only would they repair the bag, they don't repair that style any more, they did not replace the bag, they did offer to sell me a new one at a 10% discount. I have nothing bad to say about the product, it is superior. Just do not believe the guarantee part.

15. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    +1 to the Mono M80. I also use a Protec Contego and I love it. It has great protection also.

16. There are a lot of great bags out there; many of which have been mentioned in this thread. For me, I just got a Mono M80 bag a few weeks ago and it has already been used a lot. Great bag all around (other than the price)

17. bassballs_dk

bassballs_dk

Aug 1, 2009
    Denmark
  18. davidchampoux

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
  19. Catdaddy

Catdaddy

Jun 18, 2009
    Chicago area
    I've used a Mooradian bag for several years and I like it alot. One design flaw is that there is no padding for tuners on the opposite side of the peghead, such as Stingrays and fivers. The tuners protrude through the two layers of padding that "clamshell" together when the bag is zipped, with only the outer nylon between them and the floor or whatever. I have solved this by putting a piece of closed cell foam from an old camping pad in the case. If I had $200 to throw at a new bag, I'd get one that holds the neck securly and helps prevent this problem.