1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best musical advice you ever got

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by davec, May 14, 2008.

1. Get a day job.

bass nitro likes this.
  2. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    "Nobody gives a shag about the Bass player."
    Took the pressure off...

3. Work for the love of money.
    Play for the love of music.

As my daddy used to tell me,
    "Only 1% - 2% of all people in the creative arts, (Musicians, actors, writers, painters, etc.)
    actually make a living from their art. Have a back up plan."

It was his nice way of saying, "Get a day job"

working.
    )

If you're in that 1% - 2% my hats off to you.

MalcolmAmos likes this.
  4. Jafri

Jafri

Apr 19, 2011
    Karachi, Pakistan
    It's your right hand (picking hand) that adds soul to your playing. Don't neglect that over your left hand.

Also:

It's the spaces between the notes that are important.

basvox likes this.
  5. To me this does not sound good. I have seen bass players continue their errors, lines with completely wrong chords, while the rest of the band does not get one chance to put the derailed train back on the track. Once you start listening to what is going on, you can discover the chord structure the majority of the band wants to play. So yes, please stop as soon as you loose your band, and take some time to listen before stepping back, and only come back into it when you are sure you got it this time.

6. Thomas Cordery

Thomas Cordery

Mar 7, 2018
    That's a great one. I started recording my sax at rehearsal, close mic'd, and what a difference it made. Everything sounded great in my ears at rehearsal, but the playback was brutally honest. Every hesitation, odd timbre, mistake of any kind brought out in the bright light of day. Really helped me pick up my game.

For some reason I've never done it with bass, go figure. Thanks for posting; time for a change!

7. Lloyd Darbon

Lloyd Darbon

Jul 20, 2018
    It so fast
    It so fast
    Whatever you do, don't play it so fast.

- Advice from a few jazz musicians from the 1930s to me, in a dream I had

Stumbo and Nashrakh like this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

"pay attention to my hi-hat, junior...."