1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best musical advice you ever got

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by davec, May 14, 2008.

1. Faraday

Faraday

Jun 20, 2012
    3rd best advice: learn some basic theory because it might help you play a little better, probably will help you appreciate music a little more, and will surely keep you from being intimidated by people who know a little theory.

2nd best advice: listen to lots of good music and think about why you think it is good.

Best advice: buy a bass but go to dental school.

I didn't.

davec likes this.
  2. Excluding Talkbass I've never ever gotten any musical advice from anybody.....

I have asked people for advice on occasion.......but the answers I got were convoluted , vague and didn't really address the issue.

3. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

my year 8 music teacher wouldn't let me in the class coz I couldn't already play........how else do you learn music? Stupid bitch, oh well, 35 years playing bass ain't bad, she's probably dead by now, hopefully. Seriously what sort of teacher was she?

4. I had a similar experience like yours.....my junior high music teacher liked to get me up in front of the class and embarrass me because I wasn't very good at theory at the time.

10 years later I could blow her musical socks off.....

Often wondered if she ever did anything else besides humiliating people in the music room.

The entire time we had her as a music teacher I never saw her play a single note on anything.

5. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

I was was talking with the band after a Manheim Steamroller concert a while back, mentioned I was trying to pick bass back up, and 3 of them chimed in at once with "DO IT!" one of the players flat out told me don't let anything, none of the nay sayers slow me down, and I haven't...

yodedude2 and seang15 like this.
  6. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Yes....
    Never judge a person 'till you've walked a mile in there shoes.
    Then, when you do judge them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Bass Dao, seang15, yodedude2 and 2 others like this.
  7. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    Reading the stories of school music teachers... And remembering getting reprimanded for playing Rush, and quitting immediately

My brother Jeff, while teaching YYZ "it's all just music Davey...
    Jazz, country, Rush.... It's all just music"

Jeff passed a little more than a year ago, remembering that almost has me in tears.

seang15 and yodedude2 like this.
  8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Learn how to read and go through a good method book.
    My then teacher John Repucci had me go though a classical method book.
    Learned proper fingering, scales, some reading and good time.

9. Fabio_MIJ

Fabio_MIJ

Feb 3, 2016
    back home
    Uhm... for a bass player in general:

_ listen a lot of records you like and play along them
    _ try to find a good drummer more experienced than you and play with him as much as possible
    _ try to practice a minimum of all (reading, rhythms, harmony, etc..), but give priority to what you are inspired by
    _ prefer daily continuity to amount

seang15 likes this.
  10. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    RE: Mistakes when playing live.

"The first thing to do is don't stop. The second thing to do is keep playing."

11. HandsFree

HandsFree

Dec 23, 2015
    The most remarkable advice I got was when I played db in a chamber orchestra, but it translates well to a band situation: don't listen to yourself.

It had to sink in a bit, but that conductor was right. I know what I'm playing and I know what that sounds like. But what's important is what the others are doing. If I focus on that I'll automatically adjust when needed. If I'm concentrating on my own playing I'll most likely be late, if at all, in responding to what's going on around me.

So focus on your hands and technique and whatever when practising at home. But when playing in a group, don't pay attention to your own playing but to your fellow musicians.

Bass Dao and seang15 like this.
  12. Kun2112

Kun2112

Nov 2, 2013
    Play with other people as often as possible.

13. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    1.) Scheduling is the only reason to turn down a gig. Take it, and figure out what you need to do.
    2.) Never turn down a chance to learn something musical. Theory, history, anything.... learn it. Understanding music from 3rd world countries, music theory from the middle ages, how to play metal, how to read music, whatever.
    3.) Every minute you aren't practicing something worthwhile, someone else is. Get to work.
    4.) No matter how good a musician is, they're still looking to the next gig. You should too.
    5.) If you are considering questioning your dedication, you already have.

14. "Don't tell anyone what to play. That's the worst thing you can do. If it's not sounding right, someone needs to go - you, or them."
    -George 'Boogie' Daniels

15. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    " You won't get rich working for anybody but yourself "

seang15 likes this.
  16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    Don't quit your day job. And practice the phrase " Would You like fries with your order "

OK. Listen to the drummer. And the song comes first.

17. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    From my dear ole' dad, a performing musician (paraphrased and condensed):
    There is music for the masses and music for musicians. If you play music for musicians you will never make any money at it because musicians don't have much money. If you play music for the masses, you will make money and you can play music for musicians for fun.
    That has always been my number one guiding rule. That is why I roll my eyes and shake my head in sadness when I see posters here who are angry with the masses because they don't appreciate their original music.

IGotGas and Roland GR 88 like this.
  18. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    at a jam session: "Take a seat over yonder and listen."

19. phayes1007

phayes1007

Apr 19, 2011
    "Don't learn/play bass. Learn/ play music." (-unknown)

Always know which one you are doing...

20. jdaunt

jdaunt

Jun 30, 2016
    Flint
    Not necessarily advice per se, but I met Eric Johnson after a show once and we were chit chatting and he asked if i played and i said "i attempt to." And he laughed and said "That's funny, that's what i always tell people too. It really feels like that doesn't it? That there's always so much more you can do and you're never as good as you want to be." That's stuck with me ever since that a guy considered one of the best guitar players in the world still thinks that way.

sgtpepper likes this.