1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BK Blue Tube as a Preamp??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Oct 24, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Does anyone know if I can use the BK Butler Blue Tube as a preamp on my second pedal board??? I have been offered the pedal in a trade and Im not sure if I want to do it because I have a lot of dirt pedals already but have always wanted to try the blue tube. What do you guys think?? Thanks!

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Yes you can I have owned two of the blue tubes and still think they are the best sounding tube pedal available they respond very well to different tubes and can go from mellow to dirty.

3. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    Selling it on TB would be pretty easy if you didn't like it... I knew a few bassists who used these back in the day.

4. Sounds like you don't really need it, so just send it to me instead. :D

5. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It seems like the general consensus, especially here on TB, is that the blu tube is a sweet a** pedal. I think Im going to trade for it. Like I said, Ive wanted to try it for a while now. Im a little worried about the trade values I'd be putting on the table though. I see the blue tubes go for roughly $130 and the pedal I'd be trading is roughly $150 to $180 used IMO.

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So why dont you have it anymore mjac??

7. It is a sweet *** pedal. I miss mine and plan to reacquire one eventually. There is one in the classifieds right now for $120-130 I think, that seems to be a fairly typical price for them. IMO, $150-180 is too high of a valuation, but then again that aren't that easy to find. They do pop up from time to time, and certainly condition matters as well, but even for the sweetheart of a pedal it is, that's a little steep.

On another note, I recall that johnk built a Blue Tube clone as one of the 3 million pedals he has made, and has clips of how it sounds in one of his two overdrive quest threads, in case you want to have a listen before making the trade/purchase.

8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i used it before a ss state head to get some bloom and warmth, it's not gonna get you a harsher or crunchy od, but if you like some tube flavor it's really good for that

9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Thanks for the input rabbit. What I meant was the pedal I would be trading is $215 new so I would try to get at least $150 and at most $180 out of it, that was the price difference I was speaking of. I think I am going to go ahead with the trade, the person who is trading is willing to sweeten the trade with a little cash my way with the pedal. It seems like EVERYONE who has used this pedal loved it and wants it again.

10. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

That is what I'd like it for. I am making a second board this weekend and I want to make it a sort of "vintage" sounding board. Not too many modern rich sounds. Thats what Im shooting for anyway. I have "modern" and harsher OD's and dist on my main board.

11. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    I may regret trading this but with the Myco Three I think I'll be covered.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I bought a Meatsmoke Pre and a Swell pedal wish I still had it.

13. I had one eons ago when they first came out. I tried to use it as a distortion pedal into my all tube Peavey Alphabass head...yeah I know but I was young! It is definitely not a harsh/modern sounding drive. Mellow and warm.
    Take Care,
    Brent

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    mine was 80 from ebay, they come up sometimes as low as 60

15. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Why I do believe that you do good sir. I would think that the Three is maybe a tad more versatile I'm thinking? Maybe Im wrong, not sure. Im just happy I am finally going to be able to try a pedal with some warm tubey goodness! I cant wait to build my new board this weekend! Its going to be a great, vintagey board. I'll have my Zoom 60b on it as well so it should be really fun :) :hyper:

16. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Once I found the right tube, it was tubey goodness. Try a few, some work well, some don't. (BTW, I paid $120 for it)

With the Myco Three, BDPG, Outlaw, B7K and VMT I think I will have everything I need, but I think I'm gonna miss it. Man, don't you wish you could keep everything.

PM your email (paypal) and address, I may be off to Buffalo tomorrow, so I can ship the pedal out

17. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

PM is on it's way man!! I really want to get it shipped before you leave :)

18. I used to use mine for the same purpose that everyone seems to have - it warmed up my SWR Redhead, and gave this gorgeous creamy low gain driven tone. If I wanted to push it, I could get some nice 60s driven bass tones out of it as well. It definitely is not a high gain pedal, but if you think of it as being for tonal improvement, perhaps as an always on, or want help to get some classic 60s rock tones, I don't think you can go wrong.

Enjoy it!

19. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Changing the tube has a BIG impact. I can get a nice thick OD tone from it right now with the Slovtek tube, not distorted but not clean either. Just overdriven, man I'm talking my self out of this trade lol.

No worries Greg, its yours:)

20. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I will finally get to experiment with tubes!! :) this will be my first piece of gear that actually has a tube in it. Are there things I need to be cautious of? I've read that you shouldn't keep this pedal on for long/very extended periods of time. Of course I'll only have it on while playing, a few hours at a time at most so I'm not too worried about it. Also, will the tube need to be replaced eventually or will it last quite a long time.

And yes duke, I think you have all your bases covered. Quite honestly so do I, especially where dirt is concerned, but I'm not going to use the blue tube as a dirt pedal per say. My plans are to use it as a preamp. Or at least a pedal to warm whatever amp I plug into up. I'm pretty excited about this. I have my fulltone bass drive MOSFET and some 60's fender reissue pups coming next week too so it should be a great week :)