1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boom Bass Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by telecopy, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
  2. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Looks cool, but wow ... 48 lbs for a neo 112?

"1400 watts". :smug:

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
  4. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks for the clarification. I get it now, I'd misread.

Schroeder did this to great effect and for some reason abandoned the style. I believe it was copied from TecAmp, before they became better known for the Puma heads. Schroeder's cabs were larger than these Boom Bass Cabs. This cab seems far too small to have a 12" AND a 15" stuffed into it and working effectively. I'm sure the tech-minded folks will have a field day with this.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Actually not quite. The Tank series has a forward firing driver and a down firing driver similar to the Glasstone Lil G except in a sealed enclosure. It also has an angled front baffle for better close up dispersion and 3 sided venting for the lower driver.

They come in 10-12, 12-12 and 12-15 configurations. They're made by a friend of mine. I have a 10-12. It's a 17"x 17" cube that weighs 38 lb. These are all intended as single cab gig solutions.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    No doubt they will have a field day as usual. Anyone making anything different should anticipate as much here. I've tried all of the BBC cabs including the more traditional 1-12. A suggestion... before anyone goes too far out on a limb condemning these I'd suggest checking them out. The Glasstone Lil G was widely dismissed early on too... and they still work.

Spaceman Ian and DaveTomasi like this.
  7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Finally got to gig my little 1012 cab last night. Everyone including myself was amazed with the sound. Used it first in a trio with six string fretless, extremely tight and punchy with excellent lows. Played the Police's "Every Little Thing..." and it sang. Perfect. This is the punchiest cab I've ever played through. Every little blip came through as hard as intended.

Back with the full band it easily kept up with the six pieces and three vocalists. Everyone loved how it sounded. It was wild getting that much sound from something that low to the floor. I hit it hard all night and it easily hung with me.

And this isn't the cab listed on Washington Music Center's website. That one is the larger 1215. I'll gig Kevin Brubaker's 1215 first chance I get. That should be even sillier. There's a reason why WMC picked up this line. :D

Spaceman Ian likes this.
  8. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    I,ve got an Orange 2x12 isobaric and despite the controversy they sound amazing
    Don,t dismiss the isobaric-it works.
    How do they compare pricewise ?

9. These cabs are not isobaric.

Jim Carr likes this.
  10. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    glasstone esque was my first thought. interesting.

11. Spaceman Ian

Spaceman Ian MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Md
    I am THRILLED to use the Boom Bass Cabinet 1-12. I am in disbelief of the power and sound of this cab. 1-12, 600 watts at 4ohms?!?! Less than 35 lbs? ARE YOU FOR REAL??? You have to hear it to believe it. I was an avid user of Aguilar and I've owned/gigged numerous cabs along the way (Epifani, Genz Benz, GK, Ampeg, SWR, Markbass, Schroeder, Hartke, tc electronic, Acoustic, Eden, Fender) I thought I was set on the Aguilar stuff for life.

But this BBC 12, for me, has everything I'm looking for. PORTABILITY, TONE, POWER, NEUTRAL SOUND. I got mine at the end of the summer while I still had several festival hits. I'm telling you, this thing held its own against 810's, 210 / 115 stacks and 410's. I think I hurt some other bassists feelings ;)

It sounds good CRANKED, and it sounds good on quiet intimate levels (jazz gigs, coffee shops); any situation/gig I've had, this cab delivers!

YMMV, but if you can, check out the Boom Bass Cabinets; they are the truth!

photo-1.JPG

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    Sav'nBass, G RICH 5 and Brad Johnson like this.
  12. This is the 112 single driver cab? Loaded with the Faital Pro 12PR300?

13. Spaceman Ian

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Md
    That is correct; it is the 112 single driver cab, loaded with the Faital Pro 12PR300!

14. Then I have a very hard time believing that a single woofer keeps up with an 810, a 410, or a 210/115 pairing.

I have fairly extensive experience with that driver. Had one in a 22 pound tweeter-ed cab. A very fine example of a full range neo 12" driver for sure. 300 watts is a more honest mechanical power rating.

15. Spaceman Ian

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Md
    I understand your doubts, that's ok with me; I'm just reporting my experience with the cab. I use the TH500 with gain around 11 o'clock, drive around 9 o'clock and the master usually around 11 o'clock. Any louder than that, things start to get obnoxious.

jebmd and Brad Johnson like this.
  16. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Even a 50-watt 1x10 can compete with a 1000w 8x10 if you're not needing serious volume on the particular gig. Join a rock band with tube guitar heads and 4x12 stacks and that thing, or any other small cab much less with a single driver, will literally not even be heard much less compete.

Cool that it works so well for you. Given all the cabs you've used, no doubt you have a good idea what's what. I've used almost all of those cabs on gigs too, which is how I learned that the modern-designed small/light type of cab can only function in most gigs but not the really loud ones ... that in itself is virtually a miracle, so no need to exaggerate comparisons.

17. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Does this mean that a road trip to Chuck's is in order. Haven't done that in years. BTW, where is the lifting handle on these and what kind is it, strap, recessed, spring loaded?

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    For the folks who haven't heard these cabs: could you be wrong?

Here's my point: there are people on Talkbass who have no problem talking about what they can't believe something they have NO DIRECT EXPERIENCE WITH can do. And when it turns out they're wrong a mea culpa just doesn't happen. Instead of talking about what you don't believe, based on something that really has nothing to do with the item at hand, why not extend the courtesy to wait and see? Is it really that important to be an early dismisser based on what you can't believe which is clearly based on very limited knowledge. For example, comparing the results you didn't get with a 22 lb. cab with a cab that's clearly not the same proves what?

The fact that people will theorize what others must've imagined IRL is pretty funny. I've heard Ian's cab cranked up in real life. I don't have to guess based on my experiments that didn't yield the same results. I know Ian was surprised with what he heard, I know he was surprised when he compared it to his larger rig, I know he was happy after a multi band show where his rig surprised several bassists in real life. Unless they all imagined what they heard too... that's a lot of imagining.

I'm not asking people to stop doing this... it's their right to talk here as it is mine. Their repeated statements of the impossibility of the achieved results only makes them that much more impressive IMO. It makes it seem as if these cabs are doing the impossible. That's great. And if you ever do experience what you say others couldn't at least have decency to be just as vocal about that... unless that's too much to ask. :)

So could you be wrong? If so why not act like that's entirely possible? You're acting like your non-experienced opinions should hold as much weight as the actual experiences of everyone else.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Absolutely make that trip. I'm pretty sure you'll end up on the crazy train too :D

I was there this evening. They have 1212 Tank cabs and an older 1215. I was dropping off a couple of basses and tested them out with a new TC Electronics 800w head and an MB800 GK head. The Tanks are the sealed models... see what you think. Hey, let me know when you're going, maybe I'll meet you there. The Brubaker shop is about 45 minutes away, we have a 112 like Ian's and the little 1012 which is mind blowing.

The handles are the heavy duty recessed type, either one on the top or one on each side.

Spaceman Ian likes this.
  20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    So he exaggerated? That's the only possibility?
    :D

Kevin Brubaker plays in rock bands with tube guitar heads, old school Marshalls and loud drummers. For the first time he was able to gig with a single small cab and a Kustom 500w class D head. Yes, he was surprised too. BTW he used a smaller cab than Ian's.

Things change. Why not embrace it?
    :)

Low Class and Spaceman Ian like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.