1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bromberg/Lemur

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, May 5, 2006.

1. Got the latest Lemur bass catalog the other day. Apparently, Brian Bromberg has teamed up with Lemur to make a copy of his 300 year old Matteo Guersam double bass. I guess the copy will be Brians road bass, and other copies will be offered to the public with Brians set-up, or whatever personal set-up any player would want.
    This is only my personal understanding that I read into the ad that is running in the Lemur catalog.
    If any of you guys read this differently, please let us know.
    There's a picture of Brian and the bass in the ad/article....there's sure alot of pick-ups on that sucker! I wonder if the copies have the spots of worn-off varnish?

2. Sorry everybody...I don't know how I missed that.
    Yeah, all those PU's.....you'd think the weight would mute the sound.
    Kenny-Boy, they came mighty close to stealing our name Woody!

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Strange, too, that Lemur would use ad copy like that in the marketing of this bass, since anyone who might be interesting in ordering it would most likely know that it doesn't work that way. It sounds more like something you might hear in an ad for a Fender replica or something.

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Ditto, I saw that ad and wondered how they were going to do that. Gee, if it were that easy, there'd be no reason to be jealous when viewing your collection, Ken!

5. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    maybe they have some special vibrator for the wood to get all the molecules excited and then there is a release of tension (similar to hundreds of years of being played with but this all happens in a short moment) that leads to a better performing instrument......:D

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've read interviews with Bromberg where he says the acoustic volume of the E-string on his bass is usually way too soft compared to the others, though he said for some reason that the problem went away when recording "Wood". Wonder if the copies will have a dead E for true vintage accuracy?:D

7. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm thinking Krahmer brothers (Pollman) are building the copies...? If this is true, it will be a helluva bass anyways. They know their stuff!

8. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    That bass has a mic, a Realist and what looks like a Barbera-type bridge p/u but I think it's Rick Turner's. Apparently Brian doesn't want to miss any sound the instrument produces. I sat not 2 ft. from him playing it at a NAMM Show a few years ago. At that time I recall he had Underwood and/or Fishman on it then, plus the Realist to boot. Gee, do you think he's a pick-up nut?

9. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I'm with Nick. If they hit the graduations and the outline and the construction, and it's Pollmann, then indeed it is a hot bass. As for the ad copy, well, one must expect a bit of fluff in marketing.

10. I thought this wasn't really a new catalog but more of a "spring sale" kinda thing.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I still predict that Brian will sound just like Brian playing the prototype.

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You're probably right. I wouldn't expect or desire to suddenly start sounding like Brian Bromberg, even though I owned a similar "palette". Just a little unusual in the DB world.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Cart before the horse. My point is that Brian will sound great playing the new bass, or he wouldn't have his name on it. The player makes the instrument, not the other way around.

Anybody who buys one of these new basses hoping to sound like Brian as a result is bound for disappointment - but my money says the same disappointment would happen even if they had Brian's actual Italian bass, because they'd still sound like themselves.

14. This is so true, I dont care if its a 300 or 1000 year old bass, its not the wood, its the man using it.

15. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    $7,500 is hardly a German-made price... hmm...

16. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I'll discount that every chance I get.

Especially when I listen to Mr. Bromberg play!

17. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    I might.:smug:

18. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Here we go round and round again. "It's A not B, no it's B, not A." Obviously, it's both! Ken, of course you sound different on every bass you play. The instruments, and thus the physics, are different. The tonal qualities of the sound would be different bass-to-bass for Bromberg as well. On the other hand, Bromberg's characteristic, artisitic style will come through pretty much regardless of the instrument.

I gotta agree with Sam here regarding where the balance tips. Here's a simple question. You need a double bass and player for a jazz trio. You can choose me (or any other non-star-quality musician on this site) and combine me (or him/her) with any bass in the world or you can have any player you want but you have to go with a decent $1500-$2000 hybrid. Now, honestly, if you don't take the latter choice, then you live in a different musical world than do I!

19. MarkRubin

MarkRubin F L T

Mar 14, 2005
    Austin TX
    Or possibly Krahmanescu. The boys in Rehgin will ship just about anywhere.

20. "It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping!!!" - Dan Akroyd

Sorry,I couldn't resist..:p