1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broughton Audio Super Thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nshuman, Jun 18, 2016.

1. benjobass

benjobass Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2001
    NYC Area
    It's so interesting to see how people are using their Studio Boosts (front of chain vs. end of chain; in front of preamps vs. after preamps). Different strokes...

Zbysek and saltydude like this.
  2. labeledbass

labeledbass Supporting Member

May 24, 2015
    I find it way more controlling before everything, but I can see it effecting some things too much. I noticed that with my P15, sb>p15 got a little too much, whatever you call it, saturated? I'm going to see how it fairs after the p15 with my new power supply, everything @24

benjobass likes this.
  3. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Exactly. Boosts, like compression, tend to find homes at the bookends as sometimes you want to boost to hit something in your chain harder to really overdrive it and other times you need it to give your full signal a bit more umph. I have almost always preferred adding a boost to the end of my chain. The Studio Boost also is super clean and adds some of that studio magic to your tone so I really like to take my signal and be able to just add more of it. The biggest problem with the studio boost is that when you turn it off, you REALLY feel it. As such, I've been using it as an always on tone enhancer on my guitar board (studio one sits towards the end of my chain for my bass setup). I also really love the SunRay with guitar. It's a tube amp in a pedal...sounds so good when you smash it with an ODB to really drive the SunRay.

4. Casey Tatum

Casey Tatum Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Can anybody tell me about the calamity? Your thoughts . Sell me one ? Trade for something cool?

5. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I love swag. I just received a Fliptop, thought I’d show off some Broughton swag, box candy if you will.
    CC0B5013-D63D-41EA-9EF3-51FDC9122E18.jpeg

6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    @Azure Skies , thank you, for everything. And by everything I mean selling me effect pedals.

Sascha Erni, gh0st42 and cosmicevan like this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You got a bag?? Okay that's it. I'm contacting the manager and filing an official complaint.

8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just PM @Azure Skies

saltydude likes this.
  9. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I hear he really likes dealing with angry customers.

10. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Josh is making totes now?

11. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

I settle for a hoodie that had “ya goobus” on the front.

12. mikeGJ

mikeGJ Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Grand Junction, CO
    Toques? Count me in!

13. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    It’s very cool.

Very similar to the Broughton Pi, but doesn’t have the Buffer buster feature.

Calamity/Pi are definitely in my top 3 Bass muffs.

It would have to be something really cool to convince me to trade it.

I’d consider it for a SunRay, or something unique like that.

saltydude likes this.
  14. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    I think it comes down to settings. I've had success with the silver deluxe in a mix with more midrange heavy knob settings, but it definitely doesn't have grindy treble on its own like the helion

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 12:36 AM
  15. BCAlbin

BCAlbin

Dec 7, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Got my Fliptop today. VERY versatile EQ pedal. I feel it does a B-15 approximation as well as the SV-Pre does the SVT. An HPF before the Fliptop sure helps rein in the “pillow”. (or just turning the Bass knob below 12 o’clock) I prefer it to my Barber Linden and SansAmp VT-Bass. Thanks, Josh.

Rocky55, Zbysek, labeledbass and 4 others like this.
  16. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Had a brief introductory exchange with the Fliptop. 9 volt, gain maxed, Bass and Treble at 8 o’clock, almost fully CCW, was surprisingly thick and awesome. Same gain, Bass maxed, Treble at noon brought its own joy. Gain at 11 o’clock with B & T maxed for something completely different. Each tasty in its own right. THEN I, what did you do daddy, what did you do? I hit it with approximately a 5-10 dB boost from a clean Saturn VI. Wowee Zowee that was tickling. I feel like I barely know it, but I suspect it will continue to grow on me.
    While I momentarily tested the range of the cab sim, as I suspected, it will not be a feature I put to use. I’d guess it does a fine job of emulating a speaker cabinet, which is the last thing I want to do.
    Someday, when I feel like being bad, I’m gonna start a thread informing everyone how people who use cab sims are losers.

17. teopatl

teopatl Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Falls Church, VA
    Fliptop in the classifieds. Also a Messenger v2 on the DB side, very sneaky

18. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    THREE Fliptops on the front page! Gotta be a new record!

Zbysek likes this.
  19. berman3313

berman3313 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    FT = maybe too subtle for some? Gotta dial it in, then season with other pedals. It’s nice.

BCAlbin likes this.
  20. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    FlipTop really shines in a 'no amp' situation like going direct to a board or PC.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021