Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cabinet suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thiessen3.14, May 6, 2005.

1. thiessen3.14

thiessen3.14 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2002
    wichita, ks
    I currently use an aguilar db-359 head with an acme 210 cab. While this has been adequate volume wise for jazz gigs the past several years, I now find myself in a pretty kickin' alt/rock/electronica band, and I just don't have enough volume. I tried using a separate ss poweramp, but the tone just isn't there. I understand the acmes are not very efficient, but I love the sound. Is there anything close sound wise (solid low end, non-harsh high end, and without that annoying midrange boost/honk) that will pump out some more volume with the db359 on top? BTW, I think hauling around the db359 is a PITA, so I think the db728 is out of the question (at least for now) unless I get some hulking roadies.

2. You might look into a 2x12 cabinet. Esp. the Aguilar GS212, which should be the ideal match for that head. The 12's will kick out the lows, not be as harsh as 10's, but I'm not so sure about any midrange honk.

or, you could go with the TB darling Schroeder cabinets, which are really efficient, loud and clean...as their .gif advertisement boasts.

3. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    That’s exactly what my main rig is – DB359 and GS212. It’s got plenty of bottom, and it gets pretty loud. There’s no mid-range honk that I’ve noticed. Ironically, I’ve been thinking of getting a lightweight 210, both for easier load-in, and to thicken up the low mid’s. The DB359/GS212 is a little scooped sounding. I can usually get close enough to how I like it with a little mid boost. Most guys I’ve played with love the sound of this rig.

- John

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own a DB 359, as well as two Low B-2's. If you want a sound similar to the Low B-2, but in a more efficient, louder package, then look no further than the Accugroove Tri 210L. The overall tonality is quite similar, it goes very deep (39 Hz to 18kHz) and the 210L is fairly efficient (103 spl).

The EA NL-210 might be another option. It is not quite as full sounding as the ACME or Accugroove, but it is very clear and accurate, with smooth, somewhat warm tone. I have also found that my 359 sounds great driving a Bergantion HT115/HT210.

Check out my profile, and if you'd like me to comment on any other cab combinations with the 359, I'd be happy to try them.

Tom.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Don't the acme cabs need alot of power? Withthe DB359, you probably should look at something that is effecient. Recommendations would include any of the aguilar cabs, even the NV bergs if that's what you like. I also got a great sound out of a Goliath II with enought volume. I have two 112s that sound great together. Might me more than you want to haul but the Gs410 sounds great with the 359

6. thiessen3.14

thiessen3.14 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2002
    wichita, ks
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I did not even thing about the accugrooves. I think I will pursue that avenue, as I really want the "acme" (read: uncolored) sound. I will say that the 200 watts from the db359 drive the low b2 as loud as a 450 watt ss amp that I tried recently. I also have an aguilar 112nt (no tweeter) and I was wondering how it might sound with the accugroove tri-112, but then saw that the sensitivity of the tri-112 is only 100dB. Any thoughts?

7. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Aguilar rates their 112nt at 102 dB @ 1W 1M, were our Tri 112L is rated at 100 db.

Our Tri 112L is at least as loud, if not louder than the 112nt. Both are great cabinets & would make a great combo.

Mark
    AccuGroove Music Systems