Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Captain Beyond

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I finally purchased a needle for my old BSR turntable, hooked it up, and started spinning some of my old LPs. Pulled out Captain Beyond's debut and was blown away again. This album is so fantastic - and terribly underrated.

The combination of Bobby Caldwell and Lee Dorman is simply amazing. It really is too bad that this album doesn't get the credit that it's due.

2. I love Captain Beyond. I recently found them and they are already one of my top ten favorite bands. Bobby is a friggin amazing drummer. How he never became as famous as guys like Peart and Bruford I'll never know.Dorman is great, holds out great when Rhino is soloing and puts in some tasty licks here and there. And the white classic P is killing me! Rhino is great on record , but you outta hear him live! The guy has some serious chops but doesn't get too egotistical . Instead he chooses creative , expressive solos over wanky ones. Rod Evans is good , probaly my least favorite in the band, but no slouch .

I have some live shows on Cd from the 70s if anyone is interested. 71' in Montreux, 72 in Miami , and Frozen over Arlington Texas , 73. I can burn some copies if anyone is interested.The sound quality isn't that great, but after a while it sounds alright.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Dear Lord Yes!!!!!!!!

Captain Beyond... *loss for words*

4. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Fans of Captain Beyond's first album should check out Armageddon's eponymous album from 1975. Great slightly psychedelic hard rock with Bobby Caldwell on drums, Keith Relf (Yardbirds) on vocals, Martin Pugh (Steamhammer) on guitar and the excellent and underrated Louis Cennamo (Steamhammer, Renaissance) on bass. "Buzzard" and "Silver Tightrope" are fabulous pieces, Cennamo plays the bass with a bow on the latter.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You lucky putz! ;)
    I had the original LP from '72, lent it to a friend, blahblah...& never got it back. Finally, in what, the late '90s?...the album was releaased domestically on disc.
    Still, I miss having that LP-sized cover.
    (FWIW, I have Suffiently Breathless on LP...& cd. I recall being pissed when I saw Bobby Caldwell was no longer in the band for that particular record).

Anyway, IMO, there is a pretty big cult fan base for Captain Beyond...the Jazz site I used to hang out in had many posters into that band.

6. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    :hyper: Dancing Madly Backwards (On A Sea of Air):hyper:

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Aye-aye! Let's hear it for the Captain... ;)

MM

8. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I was lucky enough to stumble on it back in 85-86 in a used bin at a record store in Chicago. The drum teacher at a local music store recommended it to me. I consider it a lucky find. No scratches on the vinyl, but the sleeve was/is a bit ripped up.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Great album, great Drummer! I saw Bobby Caldwell with Johnny Winter And, and he just killed!!!

10. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    "Sufficiently Breathless" ain't that bad either 'though it's very different, more latin-esque rock. "Bright Blue Tango", "Distant Sun" and "Starglow Energy" are great tracks. Reese Wynans played keyboards, he played later with Stevie Ray Vaughn for example. I recall Bobby Caldwell came back to do the tour.

And although the sleeve says "all songs written by Lee Dorman" it isn't true, it was mainly for some copyright reasons.

I haven't heard "Dawn Explosions" with Willy Dee instead of Rod Evans. Is it worth the trouble?

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    :eek: :eyebrow: I bought this album today...never heard it until now. Wow, is all I have to say. I only got through the 1st song but was immediately impressed. Especially with the cool off-time end part. Awesome. I can't wait to listen to the rest.:hyper:

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii

13. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Oh man, you guys are making me feel old... CLASSIC, freekin brilliant record. One of my all-time faves. We used to cover "Mesmerization Eclipse" in my high school band...

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...another "new" Captain Beyond release due out Sept 10, 2013
    2-Discs, 4 concerts

16. climber

climber Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2006
    Bobby came through Gainesville FL a lot in the mid-60's through mid-70's. he was a nice guy (to me) and a killer player even then. Captain Beyond really kicked butt...

17. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I still have the first three Captain Beyond albums on vinyl I bought new back in the day. Great stuff! I also have the aforementioned Armageddon album on vinyl. All are in near mint condition.

Hey, kids, check out these live videos of Captain Beyond

Captain Beyond Live 1972 Part One

18. Captain Beyond, Hawkwind, Dust, Atomic Rooster, Flower Travelin' Band... man, there are so many gems.

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Right you are...

My local AOR radio station played some tracks from the Armageddon album from time to time, back in the day. I fell in love with Buzzard, right from the first guitar riff. :cool:

MM