1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap bass or stringed neck in the car for practice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Thinking about buying a cheapy ebay bass to keep in the car for practicing during lunch or split shifts when I have alot of downtime and can focus on practice.

I'm really wanted to learn to read music and learning note positions on the fretboard.

Even thought about just buying a cheap neck and rigging some old strings to it.

Anyone do this or have done this? It's something I wouldn't care to get beat up or warped or banged around. Something just to keep soley in the car no matter the weather.

A whole bass would be nice and may end up being something more usable depending on how it holds up. Could even be a mod project. Although just a neck would be easy and take up less space.

Here are some links to what I was looking at.

Natural Acoustic Electric Bass Guitar With Equalizer Solid Construction | eBay

New Glarry 6 Colors Electric 4-Strings Bass Guitar + Cord + Wrench | eBay

Bass Neck for Precision Guitar Bass Parts 21 Fret Maple Rosewood Fretboard | eBay

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State

4. Wow what a coincidence, I was sitting here watching Vikings & thinking it would be nice to have a lightweight fretboard to practice chord changes on.

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Used one one ebay for $150.
    preview-2.

Torrente Cro and C_Becker like this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would not want to buy a cheapie ABG, especially if I was leaving it in the car - could end up looking like a "U" before the end of the summer. I would just look around pawn shops - I've seen Affinities for under $100, and others for less. You could do even better looking on CL.

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Basically you need something both small and indestructible.
    You need a Kramer Duke.
    gbms1bc5zrlsc5hh853t.
    The neck is made of aluminum, with wood strips down the sides that are just there to give it shape, not for structure.
    Perfect for leaving in a hot car all summer, or a cold one all winter.
    And perfect for unplugged practice, since they pretty much sound like garbage plugged in.
    If you tune them to standard, that is. They make for a great sounding piccolo bass.

TinyE, lfmn16 and alesreaper9 like this.
  8. How well would a regular bass do keeping in the car in all weather?

Could I take precaution to wrap it in something or take out all tension on the truss rod?

How much warpage or damage would I experience just leaving a bass in there?

9. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    ^^^^
    One way to find out... $60.00 pawn shop bass.
    As mentioned above, I'd skip the ABG - although that would be my first choice for a basic practice bass - but not in the trunk of a car.

alesreaper9 and basscapes like this.
  10. I'm thinking of trying that out. I guess I can be the guinea pig.

But to have a full size usable bass for the same price as a practice neck. I'm inclined to try.

Garret Graves likes this.
  11. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    ^^^
    I'd go to HD and get a 2x4 before buying a practice neck. The body is part of the overall tactile/ergonomics of playing. IMHO of course.

12. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I bought a budget priced Yamaha P-Bass looking PUP for the simple purpose of being a traveling bass, and a loaner that I would not cry over. They are available all day long for $50-$60. One of the body panels on mine separates a little once in a while yet who cares, those are available even cheaper like $40 with a gig bag. I have not left it in the car much, but some, is still fine, not my first love, but still functional and I have gigged with much lessor quality of bass.

13. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Garage Band Ipad mini 20171220_082206.

Maxdusty and fretlessguy like this.
  14. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

SX Ursa 1 MN 3TS w/Bag - RondoMusic.com

Dirt cheap, and I bought one with the rosewood neck that ended up being my #1.... Throw some decent strings on it so you won't hate playing it, and just jam away...

I use mine stashed next to my desk for times when I am REALLY slow and can practice.... Keep an iRig or Vox Amplug 2 bass handy and you are good to go...

15. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Cheapo no name bass (bonus points if it's short scale, double bonus points of it's short scale AND headless). Add a Vox amPlug Bass and headphones or earbuds. I have this set up in my office, my gigging bass stays in it's case and my "leave it out all the time bass" goes thru the vox into my ear cans. Nice sound and I don't bother anyone else.

alesreaper9 likes this.
  16. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I left an acoustic bass in the car once....during the summer....in Tennessee....for a few weeks. A guy from Gruhns guitars bought it for $40 a few years down the road. He wanted a beater for his work area. Or, he is on a mission to save basses like they were lost, abused puppies. Anyway, it held up. The glue on the bridge gave way a bit, but it suffered no noticeable neck or body damage. I’d imagine a cheap, solid body bass would hold up well, but it would still likely get pis**y with you for leaving it in a hot trunk. Still, it’s not the best idea, and, even knowing my acoustic held up, I still baby some of my basses. If it gets over 85 degrees I start fanning it. Jk.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  17. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Violin tuned to E A D G (and not G D A E). Excellent bass practice in a car!

18d47a23391b8f64c3fe41b3e7d8f0a3.

18. Now that's cool!

19. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Cheap bass. I'm a fan of practicing as closely as possible to how I actually perform.

20. madbass6

madbass6 Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    awesome idea !