1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choosing an 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stjohn1299, Nov 16, 2010.

1. I've decided that I need an 8x10 to move more air. My current setup is an EBMM Sterling 5, Mesa 400+, and Avatar 2x12 and 2x10 It sounds good, but doesn't stay clear at the volume I need. I play 70s and 80s rock and metal, and am looking for a tone with a present low end, but not a boomy low end. I'm looking for for a tone that is clear at all frequencies, and not harsh on the high end or boomy on the low end, and also a cab that is 5 string friendly.

Between the research I've already done here and elsewhere, along with brands my buddy's music store can get (Fender, Ashdown, Eden, and SWR), I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to the SWR Megoliath or Goliath Sr, Ashdown ABM 810, Ashdown USA610 or USA 810. The Edens don't really interest me...I've had a 410xlt before which I liked the sound of, but the 610 seems overpriced to me. My concerns with the Ashdowns are whether or not they are built to move easily (towelbar, casters, etc) and if they tone is as clear as others. From everything I've read about so far, the Megoliath sounds like it will be my best choice...I just want to make sure I make the best choice for my needs given that I won't be able to try any of these cabs.

I'm asking if anyone has had any experience with these cabs and what their thoughts are given my situation. I'm especially looking for info on Ashdown cabs since there's scant info or reviews of them, and also if the newer, FMIC produced SWRs are worthy cabs. I'm also not really looking for used cabs since no one ships and very few are available anywhere near me. Thanks in advance of any info you have.

2. Banky

Banky

Apr 24, 2007
    Windy Kansas
    I had a 400+ and decided I needed an Ampeg 8X10 to get the classic tube sound. Unfortunately the Ampeg was rated at 800 watts and the Mesa only puts out around 300. I didn't have any problem getting loud enough, but it lacked the punch and depth I wanted. I tried running the cab in stereo with the Mesa and another 400 watt head. Voila! Sounded great. I would recommend either getting a lower wattage cabinet like the old Ampegs or look for something else that's efficient.
    Hope this helps.

3. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    With a Mesa 400+ amp, I'd use a Mesa Powerhouse 8x10 or, even better, the Powerhouse 6x10. Mesa Boogie amps like Mesa Boogie cabs.

4. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    So what? 800W its only how much the cab could handle. To drive it properly you need no more than a few watts, 30 would be more than enough.

To the OP - I'd go with Megagoliath for very articulate and punchy sound, or SVT-810E (not from 2001-2005 era) for sweet, full of mids sound.

5. Well, the Mesa's are a possibility, but if at all possible, I'd like to give my buddy the business. If I could get it done with something he can get, I'd rather go that route. No doubt the Mesa's would do the job, however.

6. Banky

Banky

Apr 24, 2007
    Windy Kansas
    I think it sounded proper enough, just not punchy or deep. I ended up selling the Mesa and went with the Eden Navigator and QSC power amp. Never looked back.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I'd tend to agree, but will also add that the 400+ sounds great with the PH215 as well... Also, the Megoliath is a killer cab - and *almost* in the same league as the PH810 - and both are significantly better cabs than the SVT810e, IME...

Here's mine, btw:

PH810-1.

8. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    Well, that could be right, but the power handling has nothing to do with that. The 810E is not the punchiest and deepest sounding cab out there. I find my SVT-15E much punchier than my 810E

9. I want an 8x10 also, and am also torn between SWR and Ampeg.

I have a SWR 6x10 now, and it sounds amazing, but it is a total PITA to move. The handles on the side are too high and the thing is made to hit you in the ankles! It also weighs around 150lbs. Makes me scared with what their 8x10 is like.

10. From what I've read, the Megoliath is perhaps one of the easiest 810s to manuever, because, in addition to the towelbar on top and the casters, it also has recessed handles on the underside, so that someone can easily grab it to help you move it. That's a big drawback to me on the Ashdown stuff...even on their website, I can't tell if they even have a towelbar and casters, let alone everything else.

11. It does have a towel bar? Awesome! The 6x10 only has a recessed handle on the top, it's next to useless.

12. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    I know you didn't mention this one, but - Bergantino NV610.

13. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Trust me you want to go with the SWR Megoliath....this cab is the most diverse and sounds great!..The best thing is that IF you want run a dual power amp then this cab will do it all. ( I have run a Carvin BX1200 with the cabinet spit top and bottom and I have gotten the most raves about my sound and tone) I have tried most of these 810 cabs and the SWR overall is the most usable cab.

14. GCool

GCool

Dec 9, 2007
    Nashville, Tn
    The Low End, Orange Amps, SIT Strings
    Check these out if you get a chance.... they will blow your mind!
    l_666801a9cbcf441e92a5121a5c6920be.

15. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    This.....

IMG_0593.

16. ^ +1

17. GCool

GCool

Dec 9, 2007
    Nashville, Tn
    The Low End, Orange Amps, SIT Strings
    Hard to wrong with an SVT... but there is better and lighter these days......

18. I appreciate all the suggestions, guys...but I'm limiting myself to the brands mentioned, so I can purchase locally. Does anyone have any info regarding the ashdown cabs? I'm pretty much decided on the Megoliath at this point.

19. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    There's a reason you don't see much about Ashdown cabs - I have yet to meet anyone who liked them enough to buy them... I have an Ashdown head that I *love*, but their cabs? Ick.

the fact is, if you're looking at buying an 8x10, there's only one choice - Just pick your year carefully - Ampeg went through some tough years...

20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    One word, BASSON.

:D