1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chromes through body - how bad?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MadFloyd, Apr 21, 2010.

1. MadFloyd

MadFloyd

Feb 7, 2010
    I wanted to try Chromes on my Fender and ordered ECB81SL (reg light gauge super long scale) thinking I needed to go through the body, but looking at my Fender, it looks like I have a choice - I can go through the bridge.

Should I dump these strings and re-order normal long scale?

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've had Fenders with both stringing options and I've used Chromes through the body and top loaded with no problems with the strings or tonal differences, but I did switch to through body stringing to keep the string ferrules from falling out of the body.

3. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I string them through body of my Peavey Millennium and they sounded fine, the break angle wasnt that extreme. Some flats (like labellas) are advertised not for string-thru because of how the strings are made, but I;ve never used them. I still have the set of chromes I used string-thru body on my millennium, and they have sounded great on the 3 other basses I used them on.

I say go for string through body, in my case it made a small barely noticeable difference of more sustain, but it did no damage to the strings and as I said they still sound great.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The only flats that you shouldn't string through-body (that I'm aware of) are the LaBellas. All the other common brands--Fender, D'Ad, TI, EB, etc. are perfectly fine strung through-body.

5. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    +1, I can verify from personal experience w/all the above.

6. MadFloyd

MadFloyd

Feb 7, 2010
    Thanks, I'll give 'em a try.

7. Just curious...

What exactly is it about the LaBellas that's different from the rest?

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    They can break when strung through the body.

9. Well, La Bella warns that they can break but some guys use them through the body anyway. With any flats you'll see the ribbon separate as they bend on that angle towards the bridge, but if they hold, you're good.

10. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Lakland also warns against STB for their flats. I have a set of them (actually they're GHS Precision Flats) through the body of my Sting Precision with no problem. I suspect that some companies warn against it because if you're not careful to do the job neatly and correctly, you can damage the string. Having the warning gives them a potential "out" if there's a warranty problem. In my experience, most string companies would take care of the customer anyway, but that warning gives them an option if the customer is a jerk.

John

11. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I've also strung GHS Precision Flats (no warning on that package that I saw) thru-body on my T-40 and they were excellent sounding, and no problems at all.

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yeah, I know, I've put Labellas through the body with no ill effect. I was just being a bit ironic there.

13. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    OTOH, I've experienced a flatwound Labella E-string snap cleanly off at the bridge before it ever even got fully up to pitch when strung through the body of my Am. Std. P. No, they're not just covering their butts, they mean it. I still use 'em top-loaded cause they're "the sound" for me, and I didn't get in touch with them since they'd warned me.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've not had that problem with any other brand.

14. I´ve strung mi Jazz with Sadowsky flats trough the body with no problem. Roger Sadowsky said it was no problem...so no problem.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I also had a Labella flatwound E string snap but it was at the tuner on a top load bass. Go figure.