1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CITES - What every bass player should know

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turnaround, Apr 24, 2014.

1. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Yes we do and that’s what your not understanding. They do destroy the items, it’s documented from Gibson to having things imported by an individual. If the proper cites documentation and license aren’t taken care of then said bass is seized and the buyer is sol. Thanks for joining the forum and quite literally trolling. As you can see by the responses you’re not as informed as you think you are and most definitely on the troll side of things....this isn’t the only music forum that has an extensive thread about this and not one of them has someone like you.

2. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Probably not. But what I suggest you "should" be worried about is giving them ANY excuse to hassle you more than their hyper-ego, desperate need to flex their "authority", and laws of dubious validity or reason already give them.

The amount of logic and discretion they are compelled to, much less aspiring to, exercise is not a value significantly less than zero.

Should a dumb rabid animal bite you? Is there any good reason or net benefit? No. Still best not to taunt it.

3. Funk Fashion

Funk Fashion

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m still not clear on the one example you have, so the company Gibson documented that an individual traveling imported an instrument. I’m just trying to stay informed, when an instrument gets seized where does it go?

4. Funk Fashion

Funk Fashion

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m just trying to shed some comfort to the people who are now aware of the law and are still scared that they will ignore this fact travel with their guitar and have it seized and destroyed by the people tryin to protect it.

5. Funk Fashion

Funk Fashion

Mar 3, 2019

6. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Fair. It is a remote likelihood when travelling with a personal instrument. That's been well established.

7. Funk Fashion

Funk Fashion

Mar 3, 2019
    They don’t have a general aspiration but they do have specific goals they are open about. Like not destroying endangered wood. I am not trolling but just have a simple understanding that the seizing of instruments at any capacity is going to be tolerated it makes literally no sense for them to have it now instead of me. Sure let them make me buy a permit, but is their going to be a remotely significant amount of musicians that fly get to their destination and are just sol? Ya no because as soon as 1 person who’s nice guitar is taken from them they will like I would just start a case against cites. This post is crazy because I wouldn’t need an argument, the case would state that they now obtain the endangered wood instead of the me. Can they make my bass sprout a seed and grow?

8. Funk Fashion

Funk Fashion

Mar 3, 2019
    Lol it just hasn’t happened yet, holding it doesn’t count. Cites is not going to start seizing instruments. “What will be their answer to what is done it’s the instruments”?
    Because I guarantee you if they took my bass their would be action taken idk about you. Now if every instrument turned into a tree than sure its theirs. This is just a way to make money, they will be doing the opposite if they start seizing instruments and if you can’t pay for the permit over some have said took them 3 months than your instrument isn’t valuable enough to you to even have cared to have it. Again our governments are not going to start taking our instruments

9. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Read the bottom

Disposal of illegally traded and confiscated specimens | CITES

And this

Government dithers over fate of seized CITES guitars | Music Instrument News

And this

CITES and ESA | Acoustic Music

As Dean Wormer would tell you, ignorance is no excuse.
    A simple google search would enlighten you and ultimately refuted your points. Good night.

gebass6 likes this.
  10. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Other people think differently. The purpose of this thread is to inform people about CITES.

11. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    I've already very clearly pointed out to you that what makes "sense" does NOT matter whatsoever.

If I'm travelling with an instrument I want the instrument NOT losing the use of it then wasting time and money trying to get it by "taking action" against agents of an ultramassive runaway bureaucracy, and the bureaucracy itself, that couldn't care less about what makes sense much less what's moral, what my rights are, or keeping track of and preserving my instrument while it's in their surely highly diligent and loving care.

Now here's action very much worth taking. You please seriously consider joining a debate club and I'm going to add you to my "Ignore" list.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    BlueTalon likes this.
  12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    My ignore list is often augmented by visit to this thread.

13. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Suppose a customs agent of a foreign country takes your bass. What "action" are you taking?

You really don't have a clue about what you're babbling on about.

gebass6, BlueTalon and StayLow like this.
  14. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    The person you're all writing to will not be responding in this thread, so I suggest that everyone doesn't bother so the thread can get back to CITES. Thanks.

15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    :thumbsup:

kesslari and smperry like this.
  16. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    There may be some good news for us on the horizon. In May of 2019 a conference of the nations who have signed the CITES treaty will vote on a recommendation that has already been approved by the appropriate CITES committee which would exempt finished musical instruments from the CITES restrictions on the movement of all dalbergia rosewoods (basically, cocobolo, bubinga and all rosewoods except Brazilian). If the recommendation is adopted, there will be no restrictions on the international movement or sales of musical instruments unless they contain Brazilian rosewood or other so-called “Appendix I” materials (like ivory). Fingers crossed ...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019