1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CITES - What every bass player should know

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turnaround, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Funk Fashion

Funk Fashion

Mar 3, 2019
    Ya this isn’t going to happen...okay let’s go get those instruments with endangered wood...so easy and not time consuming also worth the authorities time...lololol
    This does not deserve a thread

2. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Other than a couple of multi-million dollar raids and confiscations against Gibson, you are right in the very limited sense that the authorities generally aren’t interested in coming to your house or place of business to grab your guitars and basses.

But this thread is about cross-border trade, not about namesless authorities “going” to hunt down instruments.

Customs inspectors don’t have to go anywhere. They just sit and wait for the instruments to come to them.

Also, it’s also not just about wood. Guitars have been seized at the border under CITES because the paperwork wasn’t filed for shell inlays.

There ahave been 35 pages of information added to this thread since that OP in 2014, including numerous examples of personal experience where corporations and individuals lost instruments during border crossings.

If you trade instruments internationally, you might want to read a little further before jumping to conclusions.

gebass6, Kro, Garret Graves and 10 others like this.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Huh? What? :roflmao:

Passinwind and gln1955 like this.
  4. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    You might want to have read the thread a bit before posting that.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Got snark?

In any case, you are mistaken. Traveling across international borders is a genuine problem with instruments containing endangered rainforest woods such as Dalberia Negra or pernamuco. This includes bows and woodwinds using elephant ivory, which is quite common. Again, we are talking about instruments or wood crossing borders, not raids on individual's homes. You might want to familiarize yourself a bit more with the topic and get back to us.

6. Funk Fashion

Funk Fashion

Mar 3, 2019
    Ya I can’t find any cases of instruments being seized... can you really imagine a well versed endangered wood authority telling you that he will have to take your guitar because of its wood. We are going to take it and put it next to some other endangered rosewood so we can have more...again it’s a pointless thread unless you are trying to produce something that requires you to import an endangered wood.

7. Funk Fashion

Funk Fashion

Mar 3, 2019

Ya I went back and read it and did some research...you have to pay a one time fee of 200 dollars to export your endangered wood. Like I originally said there is no guitars being seized to add to the international collection lol. They are just making you pay to travel with them

8. Funk Fashion

Funk Fashion

Mar 3, 2019

Ya so I assumed correctly that this wasn’t the forum all major vendors discussed the law. I’m glad we are notifying the mass musician public but no instruments are going to be seized...just think about what they would do with the guitar after they seized it? Go put it with the other wood? Lmao they are just making it difficult for the manufactures and said hey while we’re at it why don’t we make an individual pay a one time fee to transport there already owned endangered wood. Again there is no reason for this forum topic all it is doing is creating speculation. Lmao...airport authority “ya sir we are going to need that guitar” what are you doing with it? “It’s endangered and we need to make sure we have the wood from your instrument accounted for” you realize the obsurdity of this interaction. Oh and worst case scenario you just don’t fly right then before you can get a certificate or whatever it is

9. Funk Fashion

Funk Fashion

Mar 3, 2019
    Ya no one is taking anything this is a runoff law that is meant for the manufactures

10. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    This happens to a lot of people that don’t have the correct paperwork filled out. The regular person doesn’t have the extra jack to pay for this. A simple google search shows you this. Is it a ripoff? Absolutely. Is it a headache? Yes. Is it real? Yes. The governments that seize the items destroy them. It doesn’t always make sense, but then again your posts are woefully ignorant of the issue and could use a dose of reality.

Garret Graves and BlueTalon like this.
  11. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    I personally had a bass held up by customs for CITES enforcement reasons for 3 months after I bought and paid for it it. It simply isn’t true that CITES isn’t affecting us. It’s true that there are very few cases of individual instruments being seized, but it’s also true that many musicians have been affected by it. And if any one of us is the “one in a thousand” sucker whose bass gets seized that’s one too many. That’s why this thread exists - to help us all avoid the risks and the hassle posed by CITES.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 11:24 AM
  12. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Since you think this thread is useless, why not bow out and let those more informed carry on.

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    And my buyer in The Netherlands had my/his bass held there for the same reason. But over there you can get the needed permits within hours or days, not the period of months that it takes here in the US.

BlueTalon likes this.
  14. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    May I suggest we all just "Ignore" the troll. Makes for a better world. :)

BlueTalon likes this.
  15. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Yeah mate, go on with your life. Cross international borders often, looking like a musician, and take zero precautions with yourself or your belongings before you do, trusting random border pi...errr...guardians with their super high IQ, job satisfaction, natural love for musician-looking types, patience and excellent ability to apply logic & critical thinking and let them handle things on your behalf in the face of THE LAW as they may or may not understand it if they even care to ... see how that goes.

Those of who've travelled internationally anytime in the past couple deacades are unlikely to take the same tact. Live and let die.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 3:15 PM
    BlueTalon likes this.
  16. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    That and the person has only been a member for two weeks...smh

BlueTalon likes this.
  17. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    What member would that be? ;) :D

BlueTalon likes this.
  18. Funk Fashion

Funk Fashion

Mar 3, 2019

Lol Ive found 1 guy who had some flutes seized and I don’t need to do google search to know that if you are flying internationally you might have the amount of money to be able to easily transport your instrument if need be. (The amount is significantly less lol) The execution by these governments who formed cites to protect plants and animals are going to seize/steal something someone purchased to have the endangered material destroyed? I’m still not getting the feeling that people’s instruments are being destroyed so that the endangered material they were made of will be sure to not play music but to be ensuring the endangered population. Someone somewhere is aware that destroying the endangered wood is not what they want to do. Do you not see the obsurdity?

19. Funk Fashion

Funk Fashion

Mar 3, 2019
    Oh I’ll purchase the easily obtained permit but im just not sure if we should be worried about the organization set in place to protect the endangered wood to be organizing any kind of law that involves them locating endangered wood, seizing it, than destroying it.

20. Funk Fashion

Funk Fashion

Mar 3, 2019
    Being a member of talkbass is the measure of my credibility lmao. I guess the easily obtained permits to travel or sell internationally with said endangered wood should be speculated about the hypothetical situation of all of these informed international musicians having their guitars seized by the program that was put in place to protect it to have it destroyed. This makes way to much sense to me and am blown away this many people are talking about what is just a new permit we have to get lol