1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Citronic Preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kael, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I just picked up a used Chris Larkin Reacter for a song. It is evidently one of the older ones with a Citronic preamp in it. Seems to be a decent little 3 band preamp. I've been looking for some info on this preamp, but other than reading that the company that made this pre is out of busuness, I've turned up squat on it. Anyone have any info on these suckers?

PS: This Chris Larkin is one helluva bass.

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Here's the company (I think), but they seem to make DJ equipment:

http://www.citronic.co.uk/

I never heard of them or the preamp.

3. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I contacted Chris Larkin and got the scoop on this preamp. I sincerely doubt that anyone will ever be looking for info on it after hearing the story, but just in case I thought I'd post the gist of the story here for posterity.

Chris Larkin was at a music festival (Frankfurt if I recall right) and the owner of Citronic DJ equipment was set up nearby. They spoke/got chummy and the owner of Citronic bought a guitar. He then offered to custom build preamps to his specs whenever Chris wanted them. The only Citronic preamps ever in existence were custom jobbers for Chris Larkin. They never were for public sale. The owner of Citronic sold the company. New owners moved production overseas and weren't interested in making small batches of preamps for Chris any longer. Evidently that was the point that he started using other manufacturers preamps in his instruments.

Like I said, with such a small number of these things in existence, and those solely in Chris Larkin's instruments, I highly doubt anyone will be looking for info about them in the future. Just in case, here it is.