Class D Amps with Plugins...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoulReflection, Dec 8, 2022.

1. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    My home studio with a Scarlett DI going into Reaper and quality plugins is simply amazing. I can see the day when there will be amps capable of importing plugins to create any sound you want. I say "Bring It On"!

What do you think?

Ampslut, mcnach, DJ Bebop and 2 others like this.
  2. I'd say we're already there.
    Fender Rumble Studio 40 40W 1x10 Bass Combo Amplifier

3. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I had one and was not impressed with the "plugins". I am hoping there will be amps that are open to vst plugins that, increasingly, are becoming more tube-like and available from a number of sources that can be "tried before you buy". AI has a future here, IMHO.

DJ Bebop and iagtrplyr like this.
  4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Isn’t that basically what the powered Kemper does?

5. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    While not technically plugin, Powered Kemper Heads uses IR's that way. Line 6 Native and Helix to a power amp is fairly close to that idea. The thing is between IR's and Plugin's, which is better? IDK

Take a laptop with class D amp, and you got it basically now, but then companies like Line 6 may want higher premium for stuff like Native to be used directly.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. So basically an open architecture system?
    Yeah. I see all the manufacturers giving up their proprietary systems to do that real soon. :rolleyes:
    It certainly makes sense, and I applaud your comments. But the world is littered with great ideas that never caught on due to turf battles.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Take a Laptop, or a Mac Mini, or an iPad and have at it.
    Check out IK Multimedia Tonex - it's getting quite a following.
    TONEX iOS

DJ Bebop likes this.
  8. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I will have to check that out.

knumbskull likes this.
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I've always had much better results using plugins in post processing than in real time playing. But I’m sure it’s coming. ;)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  10. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    The cost, bulk and fragility of a laptop, plus the possible need for a DI are issues that could be addressed by an amp with all those things built in.

11. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Yep, so they said about IBM PCs...

12. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Well honestly it doesn't even have to be a "Laptop". I could probably piece together something that looked like a nice cohesive amp with a single board computer, DI, and Class D power amp board today :) Now foot-switching would be fun, but probably possible too. Though, you would need a way to control it. That could be done with a small android device or some other remote method.

SoulReflection likes this.
  13. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I would avoid Android and make it more mainstream but, you are on track!

semiprohooker likes this.
  14. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
  15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nope. More stuff to go wrong with an amp. Patch in a multi-effect pedal and be done.

16. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Helix

DJ Bebop and SoulReflection like this.
  17. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    The Bergantino B amp and Forte have the architecture to do this, but they do not allow end user to make adjustments.

DJ Bebop and SoulReflection like this.
  18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Every manufacturer that has developed products like this have experienced significant challenges. The cost of supporting this type of product needs to be spread out over enough units to make sense.

Just keeping systems updated and bug free along with being compatible with ever-changing external control devices and third party software is a missive job, which is why support for older products like this is dropped when it no longer makes economic (or technical resources) sense.

19. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I haven't seen much go wrong with a DAW and its plugins but, I can see where this is coming from.

DJ Bebop likes this.