1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Classic 70's Jazz (MIM) impressions after PLEK...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinnie Boombatz, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Got my Classic 70's Jazz back from the shop today. It's a 2008, and I picked it up pretty darn cheap ($350) from a guy moving out of town and needed some cash. It has a few bumps and bruises, but I love the neck profile and the way it feels, and the thing sounds surprisingly good and the low E is really fat and growly with both pickups.

I caught some flak from other members here for getting an MIM bass PLEK'd in a previous NBD thread, but I say why the heck would I continue to have a bass that isn't set up to play it's best? The bass had a bit of a ramp in the higher frets and was getting some fret buzz though the amp, and couldn't get the action and set-up where I wanted it before the PLEK. Took a chance and the PLEK solved the problem, the bass still sounds great, and now it plays wonderfully, and given what I paid for the bass plus the PLEK, I'm in it for around what one of these usually goes for used, actually probably less.

Another thing people don't realize or are aware of is most production made guitars and basses are not fret leveled, crowned and polished from the factory (Mim Standards, American Standards, American Professionals, American Originals, American Elites, etc.) It's a roll of the dice as some are better than others, but depending on a players preferred set-up, most would benefit of a level, crown and polish.

Either way, this is a surprisingly killer bass. Really chunky neck, binding and inlays with great pickups that sound better than the several other J's I've tried to like recently including a G&l Tribute JB-2, two American Professional Jazz basses and an older Road Worn Jazz.

It's average weight at 9.2lbs, but some may actually consider this lightweight given it's a "Classic 70's Jazz", and we all know that many of the real 70's Jazz basses were boat anchors.

Like any instrument, you have to evaluate them all individually and there are good, great and not so great examples of every model at every price range, but this one really is nice, and for what I paid for the bass plus the PLEK, I'd say it's a darn good value. Currently strung with GHS Boomers 45-105, and the only other thing I did was replace the stock white pickguard with a $10 aftermarket tort pcikguard, and it resides in a new Fender case that I kept when I sold one of the previous American Pro Jazz basses I had before.

4oKWJ1V.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Looks good, Vinnie. Best of luck with it!

Warhawk and Vinnie Boombatz like this.
  3. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    Pleking a good value bass into a better playing bass is winning man. Wish I had a plekker nearby would prbly save me a bunch of money in the long run.

4. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    This has me thinking, what other major brands factory PLEK besides G&L?

Warhawk likes this.
  5. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    That’s awesome!!!

6. Pretty sure Lakland Skylines are PLEK'ed.

selowitch, Warhawk and maplenecked like this.
  7. Warhawk

Warhawk

Jan 31, 2003
    Canton, Ohio
    I really like the bass but that case is really nice looking. What is it?

My PLEKed L2000 plays very nicely but so does my '99 Fender MIM P-Bass. It's nice to have done but no way is it necessary. I'd compare my '96 L-2000 with my '07 but the older one is fretless.

saabfender likes this.
  8. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    It's called the Fender Deluxe Molded Case. I don't see it listed on Fender's website anymore, but it's the case that comes with the new American Professional basses. I bought a used American Pro Jazz bass a few months ago for REALLY cheap, but never bonded with it, and sold the bass for what I paid for it, but without the case which I ended up keeping.

QBDllnH.

BaTwkba.

qJ8HjZk.

p5CBztO.

xCDqPsL.

3ig0qEA.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Warhawk likes this.
  9. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Gibson does for some models, their acoustics from Bozeman, MT are PLEK'd from the factory.

Warhawk likes this.
  10. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Nobody said it was necessary. Like I said in the first post, it's a combination of the luck of the draw and/or how a particular player likes their bass set up. If you're the type that likes high to average action, a fair amount of relief, etc., then you most likely wouldn't need or notice much of a difference with a fret level unless something was REALLY off with the neck/fretwork. If you're the type of player who likes a nearly straight neck and/or low action, imperfections in the neck/fretwork will be much more apparent, and this is when a player would benefit most from a fret level.

Warhawk likes this.
  11. Warhawk

Warhawk

Jan 31, 2003
    Canton, Ohio
    No, it is definitely not necessary, and no one said it was. Vinnie is right about the fret level.

12. Warhawk

Warhawk

Jan 31, 2003
    Canton, Ohio
    Thanks for showing me the case! I like that better than the one I got with my '01 62 AVRI Jazz.

Vinnie Boombatz likes this.