1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Sadowsky!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Dec 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, I've also been involved in many discussions about it. I do get the "issue" (which does have solid scientific foundation, btw), but since I've never personally perceived a tangible tonal degradation, I definitely want the extra noise suppression. Maybe just because I don't spend much/any time in the studio or other "refined environments", where such tonal diffs might be more significant, but I, for one, would always wrap/ground the pickups, given the choice... as well as do the usual shielding paint/tape, etc..

I do know that cavity shielding is effective, but at least in my personal experiences, wrapping the pickup is even more effective. This is also from my own personal experimentation with wrapping, shielding, pole piece grounding, and a little bit of history with antennae tech in the past (I'm a little bit of an electronics nerd).

Caveat: This is NOT to challenge your wise decision, which I agree with. This is just to offer some extra data for anyone who may be interested.

R&B, Fred312b and Sadowsky like this.
  2. This is not mine, but in the Bergantino Fan Zone on Facebook, someone posted this setup yesterday... Sadowsky SA200 with a Bergantino HDN410. The owner also posted a sample. If this person is also a TalkBass user, I congratulate you!

The group is private so I can't post the link.

Kevan Campbell and mmbass21 like this.
  3. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: La Bella Strings
    Yes, I'm. :)

4. TimothyGroovy, mmbass21 and kobass like this.
  5. Reviresco

Reviresco It’s all success if it’s what you need. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2011
    New England
    I was just in the shop last Friday and was able to play the Verdine White basses. They are awesome. I actually bought a 5 string version. I did compare it to a jazz. Both are nice and you probably can’t go wrong, but I felt the VW had a little more cut and power with the p pickup. It also felt better in my hands too. In the end it came down to the array of tones I could fiver from it. Definitely a fantastic bass!

ezon55, HD007, soflbass and 5 others like this.
  6. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks for your input. I read your story a couple pages back. I'm going to call by the end of the week to order, hopefully their build timeline is on the shorter side.

Reviresco likes this.
  7. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Any one here know the difference between the P pickups that have staggered pole pieces vs parallel? From what I've been digging up it seems like only 5 stringers can have the staggered pole pieces. I've seen them on metros to NYC's.

I plan on calling the shop later but curious if anyone here knows.
    20190717_094732. 20190717_094801.

8. soflbass

soflbass

Mar 2, 2013
    S Florida
    Played the ME RV4 at rehearsal last night. Sits very nicely in the band mix context. Could cut though easily with the twist of a knob. This bass is versatile and the VTC is a great tool for a gig.
    Very happy about this purchase!

kobass likes this.
  9. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    We are currently redesigning all of our pickups to have non-staggered pole pieces.
    Roger

kobass, Bassdudeman, PeterH and 3 others like this.
  10. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Wow, thank you Roger. Can't get any better answer than from you directly! I'll be calling today to place an order!

Fred312b likes this.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Offset pole pieces are a feature of some Nordstrand pickups. Not the J pickups (too narrow), but if the P is Nordstrand then the accompanying J almost certainly is too.

Fred312b likes this.
  12. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    I believe Bartolini is also using offset pole pieces.
    Roger

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I had no idea... I always associated them with hidden polepieces. Thanks!

14. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
  15. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Verdine White order is in. The only option I wish I could get is luminlay side dots, Carl said they don't have that anymore. I play on such dark stages and it's a huge help sometimes.

Now the wait...

soflbass, R&B, kobass and 2 others like this.
  16. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    What finish and woods?

17. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Winston Wolf, GregC, Fred312b and 3 others like this.
  18. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Dark lake placid blue with alder and morado along with the drop D tuner. I also asked for as light as possible, hopefully that won't create neck dive.

Thanks for the tip @Sadowsky I'll look into those and try them on my NYC. You have a solution for everything! :bassist::bassist:

kobass, Spidey2112 and gustobassman like this.
  19. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Oh my, the old neck dive question again! :)
    Sitting down, any F style bass will have neck dive.
    Standing up, it it totally a function of your strap. If you strap has a slippery back, you will experience neck dive.
    If the strap has some resistance, like our Neostrap, you can release both hands and your bass will stay in position!
    Roger

20. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I use ESO straps and have no issue whatsoever. The only bass I own that haven't been able to solve the neck dive issue is my D'Angelico Excel semi-hollow bass. I've tried everything with it and I've come to grips that it's a sit down bass. It may be on the chopping block when I get the Verdine White though!