1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Collectors! Mass Bass Storage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sexy, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Sexy

Sexy

Jul 13, 2012
    Budapest / Hungary
    Endorsing Artist: Music Man Basses, Eden/Marshall Amps, Elixir Strings
    Hey guys,

Currently i have 26 basses. Do you have any ideas how you can store so many instruments? I'm thinking a cabinet (furniture) that looks like a touring musicians Racks like this:

big.

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I will be happy to store some for you:D

3. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    You could go with wall hangers like the music stores use. String Swing has some neat hanging options. Or you could go with a multi bass gig stand if you want to keep the basses on the floor. Of course either of those options then creates the problem of what to do with the empty cases.
    Keep us posted on your solution.

4. Hi.

Some of mine hang on the wall, others (projects mainly) are stored on shelves.

A custom made rack-cabinet like that one You posted is convenient, but will set you back quite a bit.

Easy to make though.

Regards
    Sam

5. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I'd go with smaller solutions. The one huge storage case looks portable but it really isn't. Might as well just retrofit a couple closets in your house instead of going that route. Probably the best way has already been suggested, go music store hang style. Then they'll all be easy to grab when you want one and not take up the floor space.

6. Sexy

Sexy

Jul 13, 2012
    Budapest / Hungary
  7. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    You'd need a ten door cabinet. That two door unit holds 6 guitars, you are talking about storing 26. You need a walk-in closet to hold that many.

8. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I have a friend who owns 200+ guitars. He rents a climate controlled retail space with a false store front that is always "closed" and stores the guitars on angle iron racks in their cases in the back warehouse space. He has a big garage door in the back so he just drives his vehicle inside the warehouse when he goes there.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I have over 20 instruments, basses and guitars. I keep them in hard cases in storage room. I rotate 5 or 6 at a time out onto stands in my studio as I need them.

10. That rack case looks like it would create more problems than it solves.

11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    What is the living situation? Have an extra room or tall walls?

Looking in a certain budget or money no object?

12. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I have 24 or so-sent my wife home to her momma, and use her closets. Plenty of room; enough for a decent sized gun safe, too.

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Generally cases lined-up vertically against a wall in a spare room works pretty well. If you don't have cases and/or you want them all "out" I would get a bunch of these:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...g&matchtype=&gclid=CL3eo6yhz7oCFeuDQgodsGgAHw

If you go with option B I can tell you from experience that simply covering your basses with a sheet will save you some time and energy detailing/dusting your basses.

14. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

Sep 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have 151 basses and 13 guitars (164 total), and I have a (rented) very large climate controlled storage locker that I keep most of my rigs in. I have around 15 instruments at my studio (these are for gigging and any tour fill in work I get) and the rest are my collector and "ones I can't seem to let go of" instruments.

As a side note, it is very important that you keep detailed records of your collection, and at some point, consider insuring your collection if the value warrants such. A few months ago, I made a change in how I insure my basses (and guitars). It was a semi major undertaking that took three days to document properly (logs and photographs suitable for insurance detail and replacement). If I'd done a better job all along, the process would have been much smoother, and less costly.

15. I have been considering this issue for quite a while. I have 16 total and I like them to be tuned up and ready to go at a moment's notice. I finally designed a cabinet and I am having an Amish gentleman in Pennsylvania build it for me.

I was never happy having them in cases - too inconvenient - and it was always hard keeping up with the dust if they were on stands or hanging. This will solve the problem for me completely.

It will be solid white oak with a honey finish - with a locking tambour roll away door (think roll top desk). The space in my studio is limited and that is the only type of door which will work.

I am having the rails which hold the adjustable holders I designed powder coated and I am covering all the parts of the stands which touch the basses with untreated 100% pure cotton royal blue velvet, to make sure it doesn't harm the finish on any of the basses.

As soon as I finish the velvet work and get the rails back from the powder coater, I will be delivering all to my builder.

Photos to come.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

16. Sexy

Sexy

Jul 13, 2012
    Budapest / Hungary
    Yeah, that's my real problem. I only have a flat, 2 rooms, and i want to solve my problem in my livingroom, without loosing a lot of space.

A stack of cabinets like this may be good :)

inside_old_cabinet.

17. :bassist:MY CUSTOM COLLECTOR'S CABINET

So when you are a player but find yourself with 16 babies to PLAY you need to figure out a way to keep your instruments close at hand - tuned up and ready to go - at all times. I considered all the options, but didn't like any of them. If you hang them on the wall or keep them on stands, they get dusty - and you seem to spend more time wiping them down then you do playing them. You can cover them up but what is the point of that? If you keep them in their cases, they are not handy for immediate use. If you are like me, when inspiration strikes you want to be able to make a quick choice from your palette of available instruments, do a quick tuning check and be off and running. I have several acoustic insturments, so the other issue is keep them properly humidified. Since I could not find what I wanted as far as a storage cabinet goes - I decided to have mine custom built.

My first rule was - I wanted mine to be adjustable. That way if I swap things around and ever sell a couple or buy a couple - the cabinet would be flexible enough to adjust to it. I decided to use heavy duty tool hangers from Amazon to cradle the neck of the basses. I bought a variety of nylon washers and end caps and used plastic fixtures which slide on a track rail side to side, with a set screw to tighten them down when they are in position. I then bought protective foam tubing to slide over the tool hangers for extra padding and protection. You can see the one on the right has the foam tubes and the end cap in place.

Cab2.
    I ended up having the rack rails powder coated black to match the fixtures. The original plan was to use a roll-top tambour door for the cabinet, because my studio space is very limited. I had sent emails to over a dozen cabinet makers in the greater New York area, but due to the tambour door they were not interested in helping me with the project. I finally sent my plans down to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, to see if any of the fine Amish carpenters would be interested in the project. I finally found one and we got started near the end of 2013. We chose white oak with a Harvest finish. Here is the wood used for the cabinet.

Cab1.
    Here is what the cabinet looked like as the build began.

IMG02.

IMG01.
    We were summoned to Lancaster County a few weeks ago, as they had the roll-top tambour style door installed, but they found that even with counter-weight the door was simply too heavy. Here is what the cabinet looked like with the tambour door on it.

Tambour.
    We loved the look and the idea of the tabour door and it was very hard to reconile and admit that it simply wasn't going to work. Since space is so limited in my studio the Amish carpenter suggested that we do sliding glass doors on the front, which we finally settled on as the best solution.

For the bottom rails, I scored a couple of rounded hand rails from Home Depot which were flattened on one side, which allowed them to sit flat on the bottom of the cabinet. I then had them covered with a thick layer of very soft foam. There is no way I would let any of this foam be directly against the basses, so I settled on royal blue velvet and had a local tailor make custom booties to completely cover the tool hangers and also to cover the bottom rails. I didn't skimp on the fabric - I found cotton, chemical free, untreated european velvet. It wasn't cheap but I only needed a couple of yards. Here is how the cabinet looks with the support beam, track rails and bottom rails in position.

RollTop1.
    The next step was to finish the cabinet and to get the rails and the glass for the door. Here is how the cabinet looked as they delivered it in my living room.

DSC02061.
    And here is how it looks with the glass doors in place in my studio with the basses loaded in.

DSC02072.

DSC02070.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    LakeEffect, Remyd and Baird6869 like this.
  18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Very cool!

Thanks for posting the pics.

19. Two gun cases!

20. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    In cases in a spare bedroom.