1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Colored strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tommygunn, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I've heard of black beauties, roto nextus coated (something or another), and the yellow randy jackson sig strings.

Any others? How did you feel about any colored string you have used? Sticky, birght, mellow ect ect...

Thx

2. obejuan

obejuan

Sep 25, 2009
    Minooka, IL
    I bought and installed my first set of DR Black Beauties (medium) this week.

They feel great. There's no "sticky" feel to them at all. They have great playability and tone. I highly recommend them.

Only thing is this price......$37.99 at GC.....OUCH!

3. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
    I had them and I actually really liked them. I dont thing I'd call them sticky, just a different texture.

Oh, and if you use a pick, they will chip the coating over time. If you play fingerstyle, they do keep the strings sounding "new" for MUCH longer I found.

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I was not a fan. I'm all for mellow, broken-in roundwounds, but these just sounded totally dead to me.

5. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Ohh... cool! More comments plz!

6. I had 'em for a while, a while back. Moved on, and can't really remember why (they did look totally badass on that bass, FWIW). I do remember this well: If your bass' wiring requires a bridge ground (i.e., that "human touch") to eliminate hum, you're hosed with the BBs. The coating acts as an insulator. To see if this will be a problem (before investing the money in the strings), put on your bass and hook it up to your rig in a normal fashion, then stand there at playing volume without touching anything on your bass. If there's an unacceptable hum, either re-wire your bass, or pass on the Beauties.

-jb

7. clmjlg

clmjlg

Feb 8, 2008
    These are the only strings i use, not always black sometimes other colors, but i love them and the tone they have. Its true that they feel different from other strings but not in a bad way. Obejuan and everyone else, you can get these from theperfectbass.com for 30$ with the use of the talkbass promotional code. Again this is all my opinion but i would say go for it.

8. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Cool edited OP

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    They arent coloured, they are actual gold plated, like Optimas.

10. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Damn! I'm guessing their high dollar also...

That sucks, I thought they put alchemy in there cause it was yellow

11. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    i tried em. they sounded dead and flaked all over the body

12. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
  13. Fullmetal

Fullmetal

Oct 18, 2008
    United kingdom
    If your looking for strings that are like Red or Blue or whatever, then maybe check out Aurora strings. They are somewhat tricky to come by in the UK, but I had a Red set and they looked and played great, just a shame that I play with a pick. The colour flaked off so quickly.

14. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    I have green and yellow DRs on a bass I play with my kids at ball games (our school colors are green and yellow). I like them well enough... but last night, we had a cool relatively humid evening, and they seemed to get a little slow (tacky, etc) as the night went on...

15. Trapezius

Trapezius

Mar 1, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    I had a set of DR BB's on my bass, and they were awesome when they were new. But soon they got pretty sticky, especially when my fingers got sweaty. I really like the sound, and they seem to last forever, but I just don't like the feeling. Maybe I just have to give them another chance and get used to them.. we'll see.

16. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Ok thx!

Any more?

17. I've used the RJ Alchemy strings. Not bad at all. Pretty bright and zingy. I've also tried the DR coated strings. Didn't really care for them because they flaked off too fast. But they do look cool for about a week.

18. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    How does the gold look last, before tarnishing and dulling?

19. xbmedic

xbmedic

Aug 24, 2009
    Hilo, HI
    I just put on my first set of Rotosound Nexus strings yesterday. They remind me of my other Rotosound nickel roundwounds, nice and growly (is that a word?). They are black with colored silks (green, red, yellow, blue - E to G), and they look killer on my silverburst Parker. They don't seem sticky or tacky at all. I will try to post a more comprehensive review after I have played with them a while.

20. I didn't notice any tarnishing and dulling at all.