1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

compressor pedals you like to use

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by villhelmromero, Oct 21, 2013.

1. JamesDC

JamesDC

Sep 26, 2013
    Wow, after digging around for two days someone answered my question almost exactly.

Im looking to buy a box for my sousaphone,so, can I ask: did you try other compressors? any ones to avoid for bass horn? I really like my highs Im getting off of my genz shuttle/ mark 2x10. But the lows, especially with filters and distortion on eat the band up and Id love to get more thump than watery wallup in that range. Would love to hear more about what you learned in the process

2. atracksler

atracksler

Oct 30, 2007
    +Uno.

3. foxtrot

foxtrot

Mar 1, 2011
    Paris, France
    Using Durham Sex Drive for agressive compression with little growl.

Using Origin Effects Cali76 for smooth compression and warmer sound.

Fox

4. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Right now I don't have a dedicated compressor on my board, but I kicked a sim on in the Zoom B3 last night at practice and was floored by the tone. It was their dual band compressor sim, and it gave some squeeze, a little bit of drive and kept the lows from whoomping my cabinet. 'Twas a pleasant surprise, and I'm gonna have to concentrate more on compression in my rig as a result.

5. I've been using a Trace Elliot dual band compressor pedal for years. It's been rugged and reliable...and adds that lovely Trace compressor sound...but When I got my B3, I found the Dual Compressor sim was just as good and one thing less to bring. The Trace went on ebay and the B3 sat in the same space on my board :D
    The 160 sim is good too, but I like the dual comp more.

6. Hi good to hear about the dual band compressor..any favourite settings you use that you might be able to share???

Leslie

7. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    The spectracomp built into my TC Electronics BG250 is very nice. Works well. I often leave it on all gig. I have a MarkBass Compressore and really love it. i actually like the overdrive you can get through it's tube.. push it and you can get some good grit. It's got 6 knobs on it and can take a while to get the effect you want. I like them both but for different reasons.. The Markbass I get more of an effect out of it.. the spectracomp just does great compression you don't ever notice.... except that it works well.

8. nedmech

nedmech

Oct 25, 2013
    Yakima, WA, USA
    No love here for the MXR M87 Bass Compressor? I'm loving it right now. Very transparent on tone, but keeps my slapping & tapping from getting too peak-y. It was one of the few I found with a decent graphical indicator for what it's doing to the signal in real-time. Great combination of controls for attack time, release time, & ratio. It's really more like a studio rack compressor than a typical guitar pedal, but that's why I like it.

9. JamesDC

JamesDC

Sep 26, 2013
    I just got an empress cause cyrus told me to.

10. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    I have to admit.. I have never tried other compressors and may just be easy to impress. :)

11. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

+1. I bought it for slapping, and it ended up being my "always on" pedal.

12. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    I don't own it anymore, but my EBS Multicomp was awesome. Very rugged and well built, easy to use, great sound. The TubeSim mode added just a touch to the high mids, giving me a little more cut and clarity.
    I don't own a compressor right now, but I may grab a Markbass Compressore when I can afford it.

13. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I use an old DOD FX84 Milkbox and get a good sound from it. Since I don't like paying more than $50 for any pedal and am satisfied with the Milkbox, I probably won't buy another compressor unless this one breaks down. I'd like to try one of the old BBE Opto Stomps someday, though.

14. jetbike

jetbike

Apr 2, 2011
    Sydney, 'Straya
  15. Lots of love for the Diamond here. I personally feel the holy grail of studio quality comps in pedal format is the Empress.

I've extensively played and owned the Markbass (Awesomely warm and fat), Diamond (sounded great but didn't like the fixed ratio and attack release time), MXR (fine pedal, would happily have kept it but the Aguilar TLC beat it out), Aguilar TLC (good all round pedal I still keep on one of my boards for it's long attack time and punch), Keely 4 knob (fixed ratio sounded to high for me), and FEA opti-fet (sounded somewhat artificial to me, traded it for Empress and have never looked back).

16. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I have a blue light Opto-Stomp and it's good, but I find that it doesn't like my active ATK, even with the -15dB pad engaged: it tends to "click" on the attack and it drops below unity gain even with the gain maxed, unless a very low setting of compression is used.

Very transparent (no rolloff or boost) and it fattens the tone of my passive basses.

17. August West

August West Supporting Member

May 19, 2009
    Colorado
    Another vote for the EBS. The only pedal in my rig. It's always in my signal path. Works very well.

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I agree.

I love and use the Diamond as it has all of the functionality I need. The empress is definitely much more flexible.

19. villhelmromero

villhelmromero

Oct 12, 2013
    austin
    still no love for the wampler ego compressor? people are seriously missing out. look at this glorious beast!

Attached Files:

20. There's little point, unless you have the same rig and bass as me...the settings won't be the same. But it's great to be able to compress the low end and top end separately. It's easy to master and dial in a nice tone.