1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could I get a few active/passive basses tossed?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lastminute, Mar 23, 2009.

1. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    Could some of you toss around the names of a few basses that can go both active and passive? I'm looking for a companion to my L2000, and it's a feature I'd rather have.

2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Newer Carvins, but you lose the tone control in passive mode. The Fender Jaguar can go passive or active and the passive tone control works in both modes. There are plenty of others, but I can't think of them right now. Hopefully others will fill in with more info.

3. The fender marcus miller can do the active/passive thing too, but the tone controls do not work in passive. Which is a pity.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Lakland's (except for the passive signature ones) have the active/passive option too. However, at least on the ones with the Bartolini electronics, the passive output is substantially lower than the active. The passive on all three of my Laklands is lower than the output of my Precisions, so I don't know how useful it would be for you. Not a problem for me as I've never had any use for the passive option.

jte

5. js1

js1

Oct 1, 2006
    The Mike Lull basses are active and passive. They set the gain for the preamp to be the same as the passive output - switch to passive and the volume is the same.

They play real nice, too.

js

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Fodera.
    Basses with East preamps.

7. woo10

woo10

Feb 22, 2004
    Doesn't the G&L Tribute have a passive/active switch? I thought I heard Ed Friedland mention it in the youtube review.

8. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    This may not be what you're asking for but I'll toss it out...
    You can avoid being limited to only those basses which come stock with a passive/actice switch by considering that there are aftermarket modifications that will give you a passive/active option in any bass. Both my Bartolini NTMB preamp and my Aguilar OBP-3 have the switch built into the volume knob. I'm sure there are others out there as well.
    I understand if you don't want to mod a bass but I thought I'd just point out the option incase you find your dream bass and it doesn't already have that feature.
    Anyway, you probably already know all this and I'll shut up now.
    Best of luck searching for the L2000's companion.
    Post pics when you find something!
    Chad

9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Sadowsky's have the active/passive control.

10. Off the top of my head, Aguilar, Mike Pope, Bartolini, Glockenlang, Audere, and probably several others can operate in active and passive modes. Although the passive mode may be true passive or just an EQ bypass....depends on the brand.

If you're worried about the batteries dying, I've gotten some pretty long life out of my batteries and checking the batteries every couple of months when performing routine maintenance is usually enough...as long as you unplug the bass! If you're looking for active and a passive sound, a lot of the newer era pre-amps are voiced in a way to dominate modern AND vintage tones.

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Most warwicks do active/passive as a pull knob on the volume.

12. Safari

Safari

Feb 6, 2009
    Atlanta
    Reggie Hamilton. But I don't think it has tone control in passive, just volume and pickup blend.

13. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Many have an active bypass but you lose your tone controls.

I think G&L is unique in that active or passive the tone control work identically.

My old Fender P Special had an active passive switch that passive was a standard P but active became a treble boost cut and activated a third knob to give boost cut bass.

Jim

14. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Of course, there is always the outboard stomp box option, too. Aggie Tonehammer, Sadowsky pre, Sansamp, etc.

15. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Sandberg - and the treble works in passive mode.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Dingwall AB2, Z1-Z3 and Primas.

17. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    My new Hohner B Bass 5Q is active/passive, and sounds great in both modes. This beauty was a steal at $315 new for a neck-thru bass! It has a great jazz bass tone, and is now my #1 bass.

Here's a link to Hohner's site

18. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    F-Bass: passive tone control works in both modes, active mode kicks in one of the sweetest 3-band EQs you'll ever hear on a bass.

19. Tossing basses can be very expensive. I recommend a baseball, football or frizbee.

I was jsut going to weigh in that my Elrick has a bypass switch, and I believe that is the standard on their instruments.

20. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    schecter 004