1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Courtesy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassyBill, Mar 10, 2006.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    For the most part, I've had nothing but pleasant experiences dealing with other TB members. I bought/sold a couple items and each transaction has been great. The ones that went through that is.

In the forums, I think its important to maintain a certain level of courtesy. It's one of the things that makes this such a great community. Yea, there's alot of jokes and shots thrown around...but it's all in good fun. I try to take certain comments lightly, cause after all it's the internet. Since you can't tell a persons tone of voice, it's hard to know if they're joking sometimes.

2. b2d2

b2d2

Sep 1, 2004
    Seattle, Wa
    See I guess out on the frontier left coast we ain't really taught how to dicern the other driver's intended direction. We are having enuf trouble getting them to accelerate on the on ramps instead of waiting for the next half mile opening...

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I've had people ask for shipping quotes to zip/postal codes and then not even reply again after finding several quotes for them. I also had one guy not reply for a week after sending him a shipping quote and when I replied that I'd sold the item he got angry and said that he thought we had a deal. He didn't say he wanted to buy it and needed a shipping quote, the message was something like "how much for shipping to zip code xxxxx". No name, no hello, no goodbye, no manners.

4. Life is easier for everybody when people respond in a timely fashion to sales PM's, and keep common courtesy, well, common. I know if I backed out on a deal, I would certainly make this clear quickly so the seller can get on with his life.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

The "shipping quotes" get me as well. I've had a number of people call me regarding a quote for shipping my bass that is currently for sale. I go on ups, get the quote, e-mail them back, then nothing. Not a reply, not a "no thanks," nothing.

I had a low-ball, too. I am selling a Spector Legend for $325, a very reasonable price. One guy e-mailed me informing me that he was buying it for $225, and that I would be paying the shipping. He also informed me that he would be paying with a personal check and that "it was good" and that he expected me to ship as soon as I received the check. These were all statements, like he was telling me how it was going to be. I replied "no thanks," to which he replied "whatever, dude. Your loss." Either he was drunk (this post did come on a Friday night) or he has a wierd way of negotiating.

I think I've got it sold now to a nice, polite TBer (with a few backups just in case), but it has been quite a process.

6. I know exactly how you feel, i always reply, but have often had people asking questions and not replying, it is a bit annoying if you dont get a reply :meh:

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

+1 on all these. My favorite PM's usually involve lowballs. Say I have a piece of gear up for sale that is in the $1000 area. Inevitably, I always get at least one "Hey man, Ill trade u my
    ibaiz soungeer cool? i now it dont coss as much but my tek sayz its the bess 1 he seeen." I also love the lowballs you get that say "I checked shipping, and it would cost you about $30", and then you check yourself, and find shipping is at least twice what the potential buyer wanted you to"throw in".

8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Oh..and my personal favorite "for sale" item! You see a "problems" or "please help" thread in the basses or amps forum, where the owner of a particular piece of gear is having a problem with something being broken, not working correctly, etc, and then a week later, you see the same item on the GFS forum, advertising it is in "perfect", "mint", "brand new" condition.

9. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    among other things, i work in a cd store. i can not stand when i say to someone," hey how are you?", hello, something like that, and all i get is a blank stare or the head nod. or when they leave if i say thanks for coming in, then they just ignore me. oooohhh that just chaps me. tell me thanks or f off or see ya or something.

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I've not seen this personally. But if you happened to be referring to me on my SVT (sold on ebay), I did have a TON of problems and threw a whole ton of money to get it right. I did list in it that it was "as good as new mechanically", because I felt (and still feel) that after all of the work, it was indeed so. Even though I lost about a grand on the amp, I'd still stand behind it had there been continuing issues, or something accidentally misrepresented.

I can see your point, but most things after enough repairs (if you're willing, or rather foolish enough to do them) are like new.

11. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I can assure you Tim, it was NOT in reference to your SVT. Why would I do that?

12. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Time to resurrect this thread!

Posted a bass for sale in the classifieds (Yamaha BBN4F III fretless). Some guy asks if I have any pics. Took some rather nice ones and posted them about 30 minutes later, sent a pm to say they were up for viewing. Result? No response, nothing, nada.

Would "Thanks, I'll take a look" have really hurt that much? :spit:

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I've also had generally good communication with TBers...And I do my best to keep up my side of things too. I will say that I get a few unsolicited PMs about selling stuff that post shots of. In some cases I've had a few people PM me multiple times for the same gear and when I point out that I'm not selling and they've asked me before, they're kind of rude. But then, they're all members I've never seen post!

14. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    On another occasion recently, a guy on here asked for help with a bass part for a tune I'd mentioned our band do as a cover. I wrote it out, SN and tab (using Sibelius), exported the result as bitmaps and saved them in a Word document, then extracted two MIDI files of the part, one at correct tempo, the other slowed right down. Then mailed him all three files. So (as long as he has Word and something like Media Player), he can read the dots or the tab, whilst playing along with the slow version until he's up to speed with the right tempo. About an hour's work for yours truly.

Response? You guessed it.......

:spit: :spit: :spit: and :spit: again.

15. You're too nice. Seriously. I'd have followed that up with a huge picture of my middle finger.

Mike

16. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Now there's an idea!! :D

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I've had a few requests from members to tab out reggae songs. They've all been really polite, but I've explained that I don't have the time to do that. I also think that some of the learning process is training your ear by learning by ear, but once I decline, I seldom get responses.

18. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    BurningSkies I've been trying to remember for awhile now, but can you give me the artist's name for your avatar picture? I had a very nice artwork booklet from that guy but I dont know what happened to it...

edit: Nevermind I think its Philip Castle.

On the topic: I always say thanks, usually more than once, and expect the same from others.

19. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    man o man....
    everything said here is so true,specially with items for sale.
    they tell you i can get it for so an so from so an so or they say i'll buy it and when the item is almost ready for shipping they don't even answer your pm's.
    man what is wrong with people,do these morons even understand or know the meaning of courtesy? i bought a couple of items here and i don't even dare to try to knock down on somebody else's price i think is rude, if i think is too much what they are asking for i just don't buy or make an offer.
    on the other hand i had people give me good advise on items that i have posted for sale but they have done it on pm's.it's been hit or miss with people looking for advise some reply some they just don't give a damn and don't even say thanks.

20. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    well certainly we've all been 100% polite 100% of the time on here