1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Credit Due: TC Electronic BG500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JetBlackJazz, Jul 21, 2012.

1. I don't think enough credit is given to the TCE. BG500 amps. Many people whimper and whine on various things about the amp. I don't know if their's is defective or what but they're amazing amps; the 115 and 210 both.

My favorite things about it include the tubetone, spectracomp, and sheer power it pushes. Something like 1.25 watts a dollar.

-for the tube snobs 'ughh it's not reel toobs'

Well for around $400, it get's darn close. It emulates both preamp and power amp tubes. It is responsive to tone controls between the pre and amp (just as tube amps)

-for the audiophiles 'one knob compressor? must be horrible'

One knob is all it needs. It compresses each string individually like several grand studio optical or tube comps. It isn't supposed to be complicated. It does what it needs. Smooths your tone out and brings forward nuances.

-for the power hungry '...'

500 watts is enough. If you don't think so, get out of your bedroom and go play somewhere 1000 sq ft+

-for the expensive amp highclassers 'it's under $2000 so it musn't be very competent for gigging'

That's an experience problem. Having experienced it's capabilities, it's plenty. Maybe start using PA sound reinforcement past having 2 guitarists and gigging at a 500+ person gig.

It can be warm, crisp, growly; anything you can put your mind to. After over a year of using it, I still twiddle.

PS, and the button thing, TC will get you free buttons...if you ask ;)

2. miguel0706

miguel0706

Jun 13, 2012
    Ive been thinking on this combo amp but because of the problem that many have with it, makes me change my mind

3. lazerbrains

lazerbrains

Nov 30, 2010
    I have the standalone amp head, the BH500 - couldnt ask for a better gigging amp. With 2 410 cabs it is loud as I could ever need - all with fantastic tone. The amp does an extremely convincing SVT impersonation - and the memory functions are just icing on the cake.

4. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    +1...I am selling my bh500, it sounded so good that I had to have the real deal, so I bought a SVT Classic! My bh500 with the BC410 cab was plenty loud, I never had to have the heads master past 11 O'clock, and the gain NEVER left 10 O'clock and that B****was loud! I have read all the crap about the TC heads and could care less, they work and sound great!

5. lazerbrains

lazerbrains

Nov 30, 2010
    I did the opposite - sold my SVT and kept the BH500 - much easier to cart to gigs!

6. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I cant say that I would disagree on this move. I just had to own an SVT, this is my first and only tube head. It sucks that I have to sell my BH500 to make up the money I spent on the SVT because I would love to keep it, just cant afford to, got to git rid of her...well try to, she is not moving to fast!

7. So you've never tried it?

8. Idiot Savon

Idiot Savon Tall, Dark, Handsome, etc., etc. Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Essex, CT
    I am looking for a decent combo amp (300-500W), and while I don't think I've really fully explored my new BH500, I am loving everything but the single speaker out (which I am running to a GB NeoX 212T.) I was thinking about this or the 250 (and why don't they have TonePrint for the BH?! GUYS!) Any ideas?

9. miguel0706

miguel0706

Jun 13, 2012
    No, i haven't tried yet. The music stores in my city don't have that combo amp. The just have some fender amps, peavy, line 6. And the closest gc or big music store is like 80 miles away. So, for me, before buy something, i need to look for information and read a lot before have any idea about the product and take a decision about it.

And like i said, i am not completely sure about that combo amp. But i don't think if i get something new, shortly i have to get some parts for it just because they came with that problem (even if they send without any cost). If they know about that kind of problem, they should so something about it before the costumer get the product. That way they don't get any bad review or complain about their product. It is just my opinion. But i still have in mind that combo amp. Lets see what will be my last decision. :)

10. The single speaker out doesn't limit the number of cabinets to one, per se, that's determined by the impedance of the cabinets in question. I assume your cabinet is 4 ohms?

While, from my experience so far, I'd give strong recommendation to the BG250, if I'm understanding your concerns, it would be a step in the wrong direction, IMO. It's apparently setup at 4 ohms and doesn't have an external speaker output.

Also, if you're using wattage as a firm selection criterion, I think it's probably a good idea to stay away from TCE all together.

11. Try it. Somehow, some way.... ;)

12. Idiot Savon

Idiot Savon Tall, Dark, Handsome, etc., etc. Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Essex, CT
    Thanks! I didn't hear about all the power rating hubbub until AFTER I'd bought the head...but since I'd be using it in situations where I'd normally be running the DI to the board as well, that doesn't worry me as much as the combo's potential shortcomings.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree with the OP. I reviewed the BG500-15 in Bass Gear Magazine issue #8, and I was very impressed. Of course, TC has now discontinued these combos. I did play the BG250 at Summer NAMM and it sounded great, though it's a different beast. They gave us a BH250 (the head version) for review, and I must say, the Toneprint option(s) are incredible!

Tom.

14. I had to chance to gig with the BG500 a year ago, and I gotta say I ws more than impressed. The single 15 outgunned the guitarist with a Marshall half-stack to the point he was begging me to turn down. The drummer wanted me to crank it up- the drummer won :D

Talkbass is a great place with some really good info. Also, some really misinformed opinions. Yes- TC fudged their numbers, as did Ampeg. But where you can't fudge it is on-stage, and the TC impressed me in a big way.

But no on-line chatter can replace the experience I had with the BG500. If I absolutely HAD to go back to a combo, that would probably be the one. The only negative I can think of is it's pretty freaking heavy

15. miguel0706

miguel0706

Jun 13, 2012
    Do you think they going to bring something new like the bg500?

Would be good.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am hoping so... :D

17. miguel0706

miguel0706

Jun 13, 2012
    Btw. I just got a email from zzounds. They reduced the price of this combo. They have it in $400. :)

18. brlottermann

brlottermann

May 14, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Recently got myself the BG500 and I love it to death. The tube sound emulator is pretty darn good (sure its not ACTUALLY a tube amplifier, but I quite like that. It's like having 2 amps in 1) and the compressor is decent. Definitely worth the money and it's perfect in size for smaller gigs.